PDA

View Full Version : stock frame rear end for MX

sangheraent
12-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Ok I searched the forum and its hard to really tell so I thought I'd post and ask.

What is the best swingarm/rear end setup for a stock frame bike for mx?

I know you can run no link with a couple different swing arms.

Is running no link the best option?

or is buying a nice rear shock a good option?

I would like to know the top 2-3 suggestions in case the top one is crazy expensive and out of my price range.

I am currently running a standard travel front end, but Im going to try to run a long travel front end as soon as I can.

Derrick Adams
01-01-2011, 07:45 AM
What do you have now for shocks? I see in your sig that you have PEP. Is that just the front?

Honestly, I would run a stock linkage before I would go no-link. Really I never seen anything wrong with my stock linkage. It never really seemed to buck or bind. I know you can order replacement shocks from companies like PEP, AXIS, and MotoWoz that will make your suspension perform better than you would probably ever need.

Now i've never ran a no-link set up, but i've read and been told that they do take a little more time to get dialed in. I also know that running a no link on your stock frame should require mods to your air box, etc.

Are you running +3 A-arms up front? If you are I doubt you really even need to upgrade to LT. Unless your a pro rider I doubt you'd ever need it.

sangheraent
01-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm running +2 front end (lonestar), with pep 16.25 shocks. standard travel. my bike feels awesome right now, the reason I want to go LT is because I want to upgrade to +3 to get to full 50" so I figured if I am going to get a new front end I don't want to change it again next year. might as well spend the extra few hundred the first time.

Im not a suspension expert actually I know very little about it, but I know on mountain bikes having a linkage increases the travel and running no link was a thing of the past. the linkage allowed the rear end to travel more where as the no link can only go as far as the stroke on the shock. but I guess the aftermarket no links probably use massive shocks where the stroke is most likely very good.

hontrx265r
01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I would just go with a really nice rear shock to match whatever you do up front. The rear end works pretty good in stock geometry. Of course there is better but they require a frame change. No links work excellent when setup proper, but again not on a stock frame. It wasn't meant for one so it doesn't work as well as a frame built for a no link.

deathman53
01-01-2011, 06:19 PM
no-links typically have a much higher shock mount to allow for more angle and bigger shock. If you use a Roll no-link swingarm on a stock frame w/ correct shock, I was told it was really close to how the rear suspension on the complete roll setup worked. Also, LT isn't really long travel, it has the same amount of shaft travel as ST shocks, the shock body is longer and holds more oil and nitrogen, so it fades less and stays more consistent when abused badly. Most riders won't notice the different between a well-setup ST front end and LT front end.

sangheraent
01-01-2011, 11:06 PM
that sounds reasonable, but is that setup a lot better then a stock swinger with an aftermarket shock? what I'm saying is, is it worth the extra investment in the swingarm, am I going to get my moneys worth?

SilverLake250R
01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
I put a a Roll no-link with a 15.5" Custom Axis shock on mine and will never look back.

skyeryder
01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd say alot of it depends on who you are using as a shock builder. If you have a good shock rebuilder that actually sits down and builds it to your specs and helps you with set-up you should be able to have a great set-up with the stock linkage. We use Jet Motorsports and their customer service is excellent.