PDA

View Full Version : New 08 400ex...?

wolfe 21
12-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey guys, looking over the inventory at the local shop and was told they could still get new '08 400ex for $4500. Now that seems a little high to me, considering nice used ones are selling for around 2k here (I paid 2800, but I've had mine almost 3 years). anyway, wanted to know if this was a fair price for a new to '08 as I'm thinking about upgrading.

Also, does anyone know if '05-07 plastics will mount on an '08 ex. The new style is just too angular to suit me and I much prefer the older lines. If it wasn't for the older ones not having reverse, I wouldn't be looking at a newer quad (mines an '04).

James.

Tommy '02EX
12-31-2010, 05:46 PM
I've seen leftover '08's on ebay selling for around 4k. Plus they get you with tax, documentation, and setup fees. $4500 sounds like a good deal for a brand new quad right outta the showroom.

TCracin440ex
12-31-2010, 11:08 PM
not trying to tell you not to get a 400ex, but for the price you pay for a 400ex OTD you can get a 450r which is a 100x better quad then a 400ex. i made the switch from a 400ex to a 450r and i would make the switch again and again because the 400 cant even compare to the 450

hondanator
12-31-2010, 11:34 PM
your last sentence doesnt make sense.lol

TCracin440ex
12-31-2010, 11:42 PM
i ment the 400 cant compare to the 450...my fault. been a long day

12-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by wolfe 21
Hey guys, looking over the inventory at the local shop and was told they could still get new '08 400ex for $4500. Now that seems a little high to me, considering nice used ones are selling for around 2k here (I paid 2800, but I've had mine almost 3 years). anyway, wanted to know if this was a fair price for a new to '08 as I'm thinking about upgrading.

Also, does anyone know if '05-07 plastics will mount on an '08 ex. The new style is just too angular to suit me and I much prefer the older lines. If it wasn't for the older ones not having reverse, I wouldn't be looking at a newer quad (mines an '04).

James.
I can get a 08 for $3299 in louisville, i would ask for $4299 OTD with maybe a little extra warranty ?

wolfe 21
01-01-2011, 12:19 AM
yeah, that's what I was thinking. I saw a dealer in PA with NIB 08's for like 3400 on ebay, but I haven't seen them lately. I guess I just really wanted to know how high they were (shop is known for having higher prices than are necessary). Sadly, I even saw them sell for that price. I'll keep looking for a clean used one and maybe check some of the other less local dealers. This is the only bad thing about living in rural areas; lack of competition for specialty items leads to much higher prices.

as to a 450, I'm not wanting the increased maintenance costs or the extra speed right now. I really like the near indestructable 400's, just wish they didn't lift the nose so easy (I've gone over backwards too many times to feel comfortable with wheels high), especially on the tight trails I tend to ride. I may have to look into a z400 though, as the idea of being water cooled is definitely appealing to me.

James.

Red_250EX_Rider
01-01-2011, 12:29 AM
My local honda shop had the deal of 0% Interest for 74$ a month for 72 and you pay 5K even or 130$ for 36 month and you paid 4K even needless to say i took the 74$ just since it was easier on the bills.

01-01-2011, 12:31 PM
yeah, that's what I was thinking. I saw a dealer in PA with NIB 08's for like 3400 on ebay, but I haven't seen them lately. I guess I just really wanted to know how high they were (shop is known for having higher prices than are necessary). Sadly, I even saw them sell for that price. I'll keep looking for a clean used one and maybe check some of the other less local dealers. This is the only bad thing about living in rural areas; lack of competition for specialty items leads to much higher prices.

as to a 450, I'm not wanting the increased maintenance costs or the extra speed right now. I really like the near indestructable 400's, just wish they didn't lift the nose so easy (I've gone over backwards too many times to feel comfortable with wheels high), especially on the tight trails I tend to ride. I may have to look into a z400 though, as the idea of being water cooled is definitely appealing to me.

James.
Definally dont go for a z! They will not be nearly as reliable as a 400ex, If you put a 11:1 piston (wich z has stock, only reason it beats a 400ex in drags) and put 450r shocks on the 400 it would be wayy better than a z. just keep looking for a new 400 for around $3500-$4000, or look for a 700xx my dad got a 09 OTD for $5399

wolfe 21
01-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I've got 450r shocks laying here beside me, waiting to be put on. I'm trying to decide if I can run them stock for a while or ir I want to revalve them or if I just want to skip the hassle all together and sell them. Otherwise, I was only interested in a z400 because I figured it would be nearly as reliable as my ex and be water cooled at the same time.

James.

RATPACK Z400
01-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Wolf 21,Dont listen to the BS that the EX is better and more reliable than the Z400. had mine since 2003 no motor issues there almost as reliable(Z has more moving parts/liquid cooled) and a better platform to build on stock for stock EX does,t come close ,And the only thing the EX guys have to ride on its reliablilty thats it, it sure isn,t performance cause it has none unless you got thousands to dump in motor that will never surpass a Z build in hps/torque(same mods that is).You can spend a few hundred on Z400 and get as much performance a few thousand in EX400 would !

01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I've got 450r shocks laying here beside me, waiting to be put on. I'm trying to decide if I can run them stock for a while or ir I want to revalve them or if I just want to skip the hassle all together and sell them. Otherwise, I was only interested in a z400 because I figured it would be nearly as reliable as my ex and be water cooled at the same time.

James.
The 450 Shocks will be fine to run them stock for a while as long as your not racing, They will still be a improvement over the stock 400ex shocks because there adjustable. Also you could sell the 400ex shocks to someone with a 300ex(with 400ex front end ) to get the money to revalve the 450 shocks. There are people running 440s and even 460 strokers in the 400s air cooled motor, you shouldnt have a problem with the 400ex being air cooled even with say a 426, 11:1 piston, cams, etc. or even a 440(which i wuldnt reccomend). The reason honda uses the air cooled motor the ex has is because they wuld give up some top end power for their known reliabilty, since the ex motor has been used since the 80s in the XR400. The ex is by far the best trail bike (besides the 700s) made, It may not have the top end but has the power where it matters for the trails and dunes.

gktj
01-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Dude... you can get an '08 450R for $4000. Def look for a 400 for less than that. Or buy a 450R.

01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Not everyone wants a 450. in my area a 400 is $3299 and the 450 is $4499. The 400 is definally a very very tough 4 wheeler and stock vs. stock a 400 will keep up til about 4th, and the 400s are great trail bikes. A well built 426ex with a good rider will stand up to a 450, and when you get stuck just click it into reverse and watcj all the 450 riders having to get off and push them.
Or you could just forget about the 400s and 450s and get a 700xx the best all around 4 wheeler made.

TCracin440ex
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
i dont know what your talking about far as stock 400ex keeping up to a 450r. your crazy. stock for stock the 400ex cant even compare. far as the reverse thing i could spin my 450r arround faster then what anybody could put their shyt in reverse and back up.

the 450 machines just appeal to a different type of rider then a 400ex does. IMO anybody could hop on a 400ex and ride it. you gotta have some skill to ride a 450.

99400esex
01-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Wolf 21,Dont listen to the BS that the EX is better and more reliable than the Z400. had mine since 2003 no motor issues there almost as reliable(Z has more moving parts/liquid cooled) and a better platform to build on stock for stock EX does,t come close ,And the only thing the EX guys have to ride on its reliablilty thats it, it sure isn,t performance cause it has none unless you got thousands to dump in motor that will never surpass a Z build in hps/torque(same mods that is).You can spend a few hundred on Z400 and get as much performance a few thousand in EX400 would !

Hey ratpack, what's nods does your z got? Cuz I think your just a troll.

01-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i dont know what your talking about far as stock 400ex keeping up to a 450r. your crazy. stock for stock the 400ex cant even compare. far as the reverse thing i could spin my 450r arround faster then what anybody could put their shyt in reverse and back up.

the 450 machines just appeal to a different type of rider then a 400ex does. IMO anybody could hop on a 400ex and ride it. you gotta have some skill to ride a 450.

Why does everyone want to argue on this site? Look i dont give a **** what kind of 450 you have, how fast it goes and whatever else you wanna brag about, 1st off no one asked you what you though about a 450 vs a 400, the reply was not to you. A well built 426 with a good rider will stand up to any 450. I guarantee you i could beat you through the trails on my stock 04 400ex or probally even my 300ex, and if you wanna drag my 700 will be waiting.

wolfe 21
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM

That is correct, they do appeal to a different type of rider. Right now the majority of my riding is done in small groups on tight trails, soon to include my buddy's kids in the group. As such, I figure a machine with some Low speed torque and good handling characteristics and a generally low maintenance drive train is what I am looking for. Were I ever to go race Flat-track, I'd be looking for a good 450. It's just not what I need right now, especially since I am already the fastest member of the group (350 warriors, whatever 50-90cc quad the kids get) since financial troubles forced the sale of my friends outlaw.

James.

TCracin440ex
01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by 99400esex
Hey ratpack, what's nods does your z got? Cuz I think your just a troll.

he is. he warships his z400 he does the sammeee exact thing and has been doing the same exact thing for years on here. if u go search and read some of his post you will see how much of a troll he is

TCracin440ex
01-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by hondarider5781
Why does everyone want to argue on this site? Look i dont give a **** what kind of 450 you have, how fast it goes and whatever else you wanna brag about, 1st off no one asked you what you though about a 450 vs a 400, the reply was not to you. A well built 426 with a good rider will stand up to any 450. I guarantee you i could beat you through the trails on my stock 04 400ex or probally even my 300ex, and if you wanna drag my 700 will be waiting.

wtf why does everybody think the 700 is all that. they really aint. i mean damn ive seen them get beat by raptor 700s all day long. and they really aint even that fast. far as beating me thru the trails on a 400ex or 300ex pshh id like to see that happen. i think you need to get down off your high horse lil buddy.

far as comparing a stock 450 to a modded 426ex. thats comparing apples to oranges my friend. you throw a decent slip on exhaust, hrc kit, and a good air filter and the 426ex is history. the only way a 426 would keep up with a 450 is in the handeling department if the suspension is set up. but even a hrc 450r would catch a 426 with aftermarket suspension in the straights and drive right by it. hands down the 450 has the advantage if the rider can use it to its full potiental.

wolfe 21 to answer all your questions you will be much happier on a 400ex. im not sure about the plastics bolting up. but i imagine you can change a few brackets and have it fit fine.

MtnEX
01-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Look man... here's the in's and outs... cause I have been in your shoes... and still am to an extent.

First up I want to say I started looking hard at this option. I was about to buy a new 400EX for the reverse... move my mods over and sell off the old bike.

But for the price, and the boredom I already had with the 400, I just decided to get a KFX450R... took care of both things... boredom killer + reverse.

However, I still am not to the point where I feel my 450 is a replacement for my 400. My 400 is still a better all around trail bike, while my 450 is the choice for raising cain and riding hard. 400 is a good tight mountain trails woods bike, while the 450 excels at everything else.

Now second up, I also did a Z400 not long ago, bought it not running and flipped it without making the profit on it I could have used.

Don't let these boys cloud you up... the Z400 is a more potent platform. Yes it has a couple more things to break, but the motor is clearly better.

In comparison (this was an '04 Z400) the frame is better on the EX, and to me so is the swinger and stuff. And the older Z400 is a bit tall and strange feeling.

But if you want more performance, more performance possibility, and reverse, without going to a 450... the Z400 is the way to go. That or maybe a Raptor 700R.

The Z400 still has the nice tight slow trailing manners of the 400's but can be taken farther in the long run.

In hindsight, if I had it to do over, I might have just gotten an '09 Z400 with the new frame and went straight for a 450cc kit first chance I got... cause these are capable of true 450cc power levels... which the 400EX is not... and it would have 450cc power with good trailing manners.

RATPACK Z400
01-05-2011, 09:35 AM
WELL SAID !

wolfe 21
01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I used to think being brand loyal was the way to go, but anymore I just don't know. I'm still interested in upgrading to a newer bike, though I haven't made up my mind if I'm keeping or selling the old one (not really old, it's an 04). Right now I'm thinking of staying in the 400 range, either the Ex or the Z. IF and when I feel the need to upgrade to something faster, I will probably look to either the Polaris Outlaw or KTM quads, as I was extremely impressed with my buddy's bike. Gotta love anything that comes stock with fox shocks.

James.

01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
he is. he warships his z400 he does the sammeee exact thing and has been doing the same exact thing for years on here. if u go search and read some of his post you will see how much of a troll he is
Like i said i dont give a **** what your 450 has done to it, you race me in the trails and ill blow ur *** out, In GNCC power is not the number 1 thing. Suspension, suspension, suspension! You could race a stock 400ex with upgraded suspension, and keep up with the 450s all day if you know how to ride. A well buit 426 will stand up to a 450 on the track racing college boy or c class and in GNCC or harescrambles no problem. The 400 is wayy more reliable and in GNCC you got a 2 hour race its not how fast you can go in a straight line or how fast you can hit a triple.

but Wolfe stick with the ex and if you feel you need more power get a 700 so you dont have problems with reliability like 450s, or the new KTM 525 xcs look nice also.

TCracin440ex
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Like i said i dont give a **** what your 450 has done to it, you race me in the trails and ill blow ur *** out, In GNCC power is not the number 1 thing. Suspension, suspension, suspension! You could race a stock 400ex with upgraded suspension, and keep up with the 450s all day if you know how to ride. A well buit 426 will stand up to a 450 on the track racing college boy or c class and in GNCC or harescrambles no problem. The 400 is wayy more reliable and in GNCC you got a 2 hour race its not how fast you can go in a straight line or how fast you can hit a triple.

but Wolfe stick with the ex and if you feel you need more power get a 700 so you dont have problems with reliability like 450s, or the new KTM 525 xcs look nice also.

idk whats up with yall newbie members getting buck and stuff like you know something. but apparently your a little kid. how old are you little man? i rode my 450 on trails and i know i could probally mop the floor with you. so get down off your high horse. far as reliability your crazy as hell. i had a 450r and never had any issues with reliability i changed the oil and cleaned the air filter and never had a minutes problem with my 450.

far as gncc racing how many 450rs do you see out there opposed to 400ex's you cant compare a slowhundred EX to a damn 450 machine bottom line. yea some of the lower class riders might ride 400ex but any real racer is going to know the better over all platform for a better quad is going to be a 450. like i said cant compare apples to oranges.

RATPACK Z400
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I use to think honda was the best ,when i had my Ex but then you saw other Co,s building better and improving there quads were honda does,t ! Since i got Z I wouldn,t get anything but a Suzuki again being that they hear the public and improve there quad yr after yr and they make PERFORMANCE quads. honda you be lucky to get another color! And yes Im going to urgue the point when it comes to people calling the Z a piece when they dont know squat ! if thats a troll then I am! I dont say your quads junk at all just state the facts about suzuki and honda diehards cant stand that they think the EX is the 250r or something ! those reliabilty days have been long gone with honda ,they,re no better than the rest! Sure the EX is the most reliable honda besides the 300ex but at a price of no performance and you need to spend alot to get.

exrider12
01-05-2011, 04:06 PM

Question... Since when do properly maintained 450's have reliability issues? I had mine for 3 years and no problems? Valve adjustments, oil and air filters.. thats pretty much it. A 400ex will never be as good as 450 plain and simple. It is an ancient motor with ancient technology. Its not meant to go fast or be a performance machine.

Wolfe in your case a 400ex would you suit you fine.

99400esex
01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Honestly, who cares what machine is better. A 450r may be quicker and handle better that an EX, but the EX is an overall better trail machine, and can be competitive with mods in the motor and chassis, but honestly who cares? Ride what you like because YOU like it, not because its faster or better, because that opinion is not the same for everyone. Its a biased opinion between many people. I like my 400 over a 450r, thats all I can say. Yes Ratpack is a gigantic tool.

exrider12
01-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 99400esex
. Yes Ratpack is a gigantic tool.

:p

RATPACK Z400
01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
You guys just hate the Z ! or is it suzuki? Hate to tell you honda does,t care that much for you as much as you care for them or they would have changed the EX,s completly to new tech motors yrs ago ! Im considered a troll cause I dont agree that the EX is the BEST ! or any honda the best! Sorry Im not a diehard honda moron! that thinks only honda can build quads/bikes.

99400esex
01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
I never once said that the EX is superior to the Z douchebag. Get off suzukis nutz troll. Learn how to use punctuation and spelling too.

01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
idk whats up with yall newbie members getting buck and stuff like you know something. but apparently your a little kid. how old are you little man? i rode my 450 on trails and i know i could probally mop the floor with you. so get down off your high horse. far as reliability your crazy as hell. i had a 450r and never had any issues with reliability i changed the oil and cleaned the air filter and never had a minutes problem with my 450.

far as gncc racing how many 450rs do you see out there opposed to 400ex's you cant compare a slowhundred EX to a damn 450 machine bottom line. yea some of the lower class riders might ride 400ex but any real racer is going to know the better over all platform for a better quad is going to be a 450. like i said cant compare apples to oranges.
Congrats you learned how to change the oil and clean your breather. But anyways if you got a problem put your money where your mouth is feller ill beat you on 2 or 4 wheels. Anyone on this site knows a 400ex and a 300ex are just about the most reliable 4 wheeler you can buy, and know that a 450 is wayy more mantinence than a 400 requiring top end jobs ever 60-80 hours i think it is. Yeah im 14, maybe a kid but sure as hell not a little kid by anymeans, I know wayy to much about 4 wheelers and dirt bikes, since ive raced motorcross since i was 7 to argue with someone on your level thats 40 and puts around.

RATPACK Z400
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
i didn,t say anything that resembled your name 99400esex!Or maybe diehard moron is secret code for 99400esex ? Do you guys just hate all other brands or what cause it sure seems like it. dont you think that when EX guys come on here and other forums and brag about racing and beating all other quads( Z ,450/700/etc) with a EX400 with just a pipe . We all (all forums hear this) it gets OLD. So Im done ! gave my opion to wolfe21 on what he should get and got nothing but BS from MORONS ! Sorry I dont think your EX is the BEST !

TCracin440ex
01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Congrats you learned how to change the oil and clean your breather. But anyways if you got a problem put your money where your mouth is feller ill beat you on 2 or 4 wheels. Anyone on this site knows a 400ex and a 300ex are just about the most reliable 4 wheeler you can buy, and know that a 450 is wayy more mantinence than a 400 requiring top end jobs ever 60-80 hours i think it is. Yeah im 14, maybe a kid but sure as hell not a little kid by anymeans, I know wayy to much about 4 wheelers and dirt bikes, since ive raced motorcross since i was 7 to argue with someone on your level thats 40 and puts around.

i figured u was a lil shyt go sit arround in your middle school classes and be a poser. you aint nothin but a web wheeler thats it. u cant sit here and bench race somebody when ive been riding quads since i was a small chap. i got a good 10 years on you. i was riding quads/ dirtbikes and anything with wheels long before you was thought of. i was riding quads while you was just an itch in your daddys pants. and while you was in your crib shytin in your diapers i was still out ridin so STFU about your skill because nobody cares.

far as ratpack ill have to agree. i liked my 400ex, but if push come to shove and i couldnt buy a 450 machine id def go with a z400 over a 400ex. it has alot better platform compared to the slowhundred ex. dont get me wrong 400ex is a good quad. alot of people own them, they are reliable. but the 400ex and 300ex are far from the best trail quad out there. both the 400ex and 300ex are slow reving engines. and just flat out arent designed for much more then somebody who wants a decent sport quad that are reliable. they really dont have much more to go on then their reliablity and that alone wouldnt sell me on a quad.

im not the type to go out and buy the latest and greatest thing because everybody else is doing it either. i will buy what i like and not consult a forum which alot of people misconstru information like hondarider5781 who knows EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING and his testicles havent even dropped yet. hondarider you have alot left to learn young grasshoppa!

Red_250EX_Rider
01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
I like how they come to are section to troll -_-...

Scro
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM
If you don't have anything constructive to add to the topic at hand, then don't say anything at all. If you really feel the need to argue about who is faster, smarter, better, take it to PM's. The rules of the forum are posted at the bottom of every page for a reason.