PDA

View Full Version : axle lock nut

2001400exrida
12-31-2010, 04:07 PM
To tighten the axle lock nut you have the inner locknut up against the outer lock nut correct? the outer locknut is held by the shopping ring.

I have a 450r rear end and i had mine setup like that but i was riding with a 400ex today and his inner lock nut (the smaller axle lock nut) was up against the brake hub, while his outer lock nut was out on the stopper ring where it is supposed to be.

i got confused and thought that maybe mine should be up against the brake hub instead of the outer locknut.

I got home and checked my 2007 and i had it correct. the inner lock nut tightens to the outer locknut which is tight on the stopper ring.

I'm going to apply locking agent on the threads just like the manual says because mine came loose today after riding after the install.

rubbersdown
12-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Your right "the inner lock nut tightens to the outer locknut which is tight on the stopper ring."

2001400exrida
12-31-2010, 05:37 PM
ok, thanks rubbersdown. I'm going to tighten it back down tomorrow properly. i have ot get some loctite first.

AtvKid4Eva
01-01-2011, 08:52 AM
When you take the stock locknut off they usually never stay tight again even with loctite. when i had a stock nut i would tighten the small inner nut snug up agains the outter big nut and wrap them together with electrical tape to prevent them from seperating from each other. it worked fine. the best alternative is to buy a RAD locking lock nut they r only like $50 and they wont come loose which will help prevent your carrier from failing. hope this helps man.

AtvKid4Eva
01-01-2011, 08:53 AM
and the reason you saw the small inner nut up against the brake hub was because it came loose which is what im talking baout with the stock nut. the electrical tape or RAD nut will fix this. sorry for the double post. lol

togup
01-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I highly recommend the RAD nut you only need an allen wrench to loosen your locking nut ,(providing the threads are clean)

2001400exrida
01-01-2011, 04:44 PM
yeah not only did ti come loose but it worked it's way all the way over the threads to the hub side. i am hoping the loctite will hold