12-31-2010, 05:03 PM
no, but they plug into each other

rsss396
12-31-2010, 11:39 PM
maps

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab265/rsss396/page0001-12.jpg

jcs003
01-01-2011, 02:52 AM
those MSD curves are sick. no wonder those set-ups are so expensive.

rsss396
01-01-2011, 08:09 AM
That is the curve for the Enhancer ignition that allows you to adjust the rate of the curve.
But the programable msd units that cost more let's you make the curve any way you like.
But the spark energy is really where the msd's shine.
The Enhancer with the stock 250r stator and flywheel produced more energy than even my 2000 CR ignition which has a great spark to begin with.
The down side to the enhancer ignitions is the battery but really you can ride all day on a battery charge and you can go longer if you put a larger capacity 7.2volt RC car battery on it.
And the ignition curve rate can be adjusted with a small screwdriver in seconds without a laptop.

But I am not sure msd even sells them anymore but you still see them pop up on eBay so the are out there

jcs003
01-01-2011, 08:29 AM
i would like to see the horsepower and torque numbers for each ignition.

rsss396
01-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Different timing curves will show up on a dyno sheet in horsepower gains, this is where some of the better builders spend time creating a curve for there setups to get a few more ponies.
But they are kind of secretive on those maps because of the amount of time and money it took to develop it with their combination.

And really just because it works for their combination does not mean it will work for the next guy's combo.

exhaust pipe and head design dictate allot of the amount of ign timing needed at a certain rpm

But I don't believe spark energy gives you enough to be seen on a dyno.
The bike will normally start easier and much less prone to fouling plugs or missing because of slightly rich fuel mixtures.

So there is a advantage to more energy just not much in HP

jcs003
01-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by rsss396
Different timing curves will show up on a dyno sheet in horsepower gains, this is where some of the better builders spend time creating a curve for there setups to get a few more ponies.
But they are kind of secretive on those maps because of the amount of time and money it took to develop it with their combination.

And really just because it works for their combination does not mean it will work for the next guy's combo.

exhaust pipe and head design dictate allot of the amount of ign timing needed at a certain rpm

But I don't believe spark energy gives you enough to be seen on a dyno.
The bike will normally start easier and much less prone to fouling plugs or missing because of slightly rich fuel mixtures.

So there is a advantage to more energy just not much in HP

i was responding in relation to the specific ignition timeing curves. i.e.what is MSD's numbers compared to the CR's and etc.

is the power more "peaky"... is there a broader more managable curve... what are the average overall horsepower and torque numbers.

what one builders combinations is are irrelevent. i would assume this chart was all done on the same engine with different ignitions. if it wasnt, that chart has no validity.

rsss396
01-01-2011, 11:48 AM
all these ignitions were done on my bench tester and only show you the timing curves of a specific CDI.

Timing curves have no direct correlation to horsepower these are just showing what is being generated.

Every motor and especially very peaky drag motors can have different timing curve needs. What works the best on mine does not mean it will work best on yours.

Why? because of many variables like cylinder head dome design, exhaust pipe design, max rpm, compression, riding style and amount of load the motor sees.

jcs003
01-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by rsss396
all these ignitions were done on my bench tester and only show you the timing curves of a specific CDI.

Timing curves have no direct correlation to horsepower these are just showing what is being generated.

Every motor and especially very peaky drag motors can have different timing curve needs. What works the best on mine does not mean it will work best on yours.

Why? because of many variables like cylinder head dome design, exhaust pipe design, max rpm, compression, riding style and amount of load the motor sees.

i got ya. we are on a different page or something.

wilkin250r
01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
what one builders combinations is are irrelevent.

Actually, that's everything. The types of questions you're asking, like "is there a broader more managable curve is much more about porting and pipe characteristics than ignition.

Ignition is almost like air. It's not important unless you're not getting any of it. If you're mis-firing at high RPMs, you're missing a significant portion of your power, and a better ignition system will find it for you.

But let's take an example of a stock engine, with a stock ignition that's performing properly. If you take that same engine and run a better aftermarket ignition on it, and compare dyno runs, you'll see maybe 2-3 horsepower, but that's about it. You'll probably see an increase in throttle response also, but you'll only see that riding, you won't see it on a dyno. And dollar for dollar, you'll see much better gains spending that money somewhere else on a basically stock motor.

snacob14
01-01-2011, 04:57 PM
getting back to topic a little, does it matter which you run, could you run an 88 on an 86 motor, will it hurt the engine? How can you tell the differences in the two?