BenHonda400ex
12-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Haha. What do you think?

BenHonda400ex
12-29-2010, 08:32 PM

CJM
12-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Nice, masterlink pop off?

My buddy did the same thing, if you take your time you can get it apart.

BenHonda400ex
12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
No, to much slack in the chain I guess and came around corner to hard and I tried to put it in first and it would click and just bog down and wouldn't move. What would you know the chain had wrapped up and it was really tight around the axle.. I guess I like to party to hard

BenHonda400ex
12-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Nice, masterlink pop off?

My buddy did the same thing, if you take your time you can get it apart. Hey once I get it put back on do you know how to tighten the chain?

Deluzioned
12-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by BenHonda400ex
Hey once I get it put back on do you know how to tighten the chain?

Factory service manual explains everything.

trailrider894
12-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Hey once I get it put back on do you know how to tighten the chain?

You will loosen the 4 bolts near the bottom of the swingarm and twist the bearing carrier until you have the wanted slack in the chain.

CJM
12-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
You will loosen the 4 bolts near the bottom of the swingarm and twist the bearing carrier until you have the wanted slack in the chain.

More specifically:
1. Loosen the allen bolts on the back
2. Take a 1/4 drive extension or a punch and place it in the holes next to the sprocket and turn. This tightens or loosens the chain.
3. Adjust your chain so at the middle point it has between 1.25 and 1.5 inches of free play when you push it up.

Scro
12-30-2010, 09:47 AM
FYI - If this happens out in the middle of no where, most of the time you can squeeze your foot between the swingarm and bottom of the chain, and press down. As long as the motor is in neutral, it will eventually work itself out. This happened to us countless times from running no skidplate for hillclimbing.

2001400exrida
12-30-2010, 12:53 PM
I like to check mine while somebody is sitting on it. You can set it with 1 or 2 inches of slack and then when you get it on the thing it will tighten up. just test it with a rider on there because you have to imagine when you get on the throttle or land from a little jump that chain is gonna be TIGHT. There's not an easier way to snap a chain but to make it too tight.

i usually have about 2 or 2 1/2 inches of slack in my chains. that way when i sit down on the quad there is like a half inch left of slack so that when my shocks fully absorb it won't be too tight.

CJM
12-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
I like to check mine while somebody is sitting on it. You can set it with 1 or 2 inches of slack and then when you get it on the thing it will tighten up. just test it with a rider on there because you have to imagine when you get on the throttle or land from a little jump that chain is gonna be TIGHT. There's not an easier way to snap a chain but to make it too tight.

i usually have about 2 or 2 1/2 inches of slack in my chains. that way when i sit down on the quad there is like a half inch left of slack so that when my shocks fully absorb it won't be too tight.

Be careful, too loose and it could come off and possibly damage the case-my buddys 450r did this and he needed an entire side case.

BenHonda400ex
12-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Be careful, too loose and it could come off and possibly damage the case-my buddys 450r did this and he needed an entire side case. Haha. Yeah I got it put back on put I didn't check this morning on how to tighten it and I went around a corner in 1st and gunned it and it came off... But it doesn't look that loose

rabbithuntr14
12-30-2010, 04:53 PM
I had a non o-ring and mine did this evry single time i rode it, is it an o-ring or not?

2001400exrida
12-30-2010, 05:09 PM
dude you got something else going on then.

You should see how loose the racers keep their chains. i've seen 3 or 4 inches of slack in them.

You just want to make sure that when you sit on the quad the chain should not be "TIGHT"

you still want to have a little slack even while you're sitting on the quad. It's a very common mistake to overtighten the chain.

Also, i've thrown several chains on my 416 because i didn't have a front sprocket cover and the corn stalks kicked it off the sprocket. I have yet to crack a case.

usually what happens when the chain is too loose is your hear it slapping on the swingarm and skid plates. it shouldn't just flop right off unless it's out of line or has 6 inches of slack.

i hear the horror stories of cracking the case from throwing the chain but i think it's more myth than fact. that being said.....when it happens to me i'll be sure to fess up, but usually the chain just hops off and you're stuck with a spinning front sprocket.

CJM
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Pretty much like bens situation but it flew off with such force it slammed into the case and cracked it.

Manual says 1.5 inches, Ill stick to about that-been running it for years and never had an issue.

2001400exrida
12-31-2010, 07:42 PM
well i guess alot of it may depend on your suspension setup.

I just know that on both of my quads when i set the chain slack. if i do 1 1/2 in. with nobody on the quad. by the time i sit on it, the chain will be too tight.

i find it easier to put a body on the wheeler and then set my chain slack so that i know i have some play with the shocks loaded.

CJM
12-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Guess it depends on your setup. With me sitting on the atv with 1.5" of slack it is fine and not to tight.

TCracin440ex
12-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Scro
FYI - If this happens out in the middle of no where, most of the time you can squeeze your foot between the swingarm and bottom of the chain, and press down. As long as the motor is in neutral, it will eventually work itself out. This happened to us countless times from running no skidplate for hillclimbing.

yep done this many times as well it works too.

250x_kyle
01-01-2011, 10:22 AM
dude you got something else going on then.

You should see how loose the racers keep their chains. i've seen 3 or 4 inches of slack in them.

You just want to make sure that when you sit on the quad the chain should not be "TIGHT"

you still want to have a little slack even while you're sitting on the quad. It's a very common mistake to overtighten the chain.

Also, i've thrown several chains on my 416 because i didn't have a front sprocket cover and the corn stalks kicked it off the sprocket. I have yet to crack a case.

usually what happens when the chain is too loose is your hear it slapping on the swingarm and skid plates. it shouldn't just flop right off unless it's out of line or has 6 inches of slack.

i hear the horror stories of cracking the case from throwing the chain but i think it's more myth than fact. that being said.....when it happens to me i'll be sure to fess up, but usually the chain just hops off and you're stuck with a spinning front sprocket.

i dont know what racers you seen with that much slop in the chain. and if they were not sitting on it when you seen it then its going to have a little more slack. i personally had a 400ex and a 450r throw a chain only the 400ex cracked a case. i just landed on an awkward landing with the 450r and the chain poped off. the 450r chain was streched so i poped it back on with the quad in neutral limped it to the house and put a new one on.

99400esex
01-01-2011, 11:37 AM
This happened to me one time, the chain wrapped around the front sprocket pretty much the same way. I think you just need to tighten it more, thats why mine got wrapped up like that. I was cruising across a big field in 4th about to grab 5th and all off a sudden my rear end locked up so be careful with that.

rooster300ex
01-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by CJM
More specifically:
1. Loosen the allen bolts on the back
2. Take a 1/4 drive extension or a punch and place it in the holes next to the sprocket and turn. This tightens or loosens the chain.
3. Adjust your chain so at the middle point it has between 1.25 and 1.5 inches of free play when you push it up.

If its an aftermarket alum. carrier using a punch or whatever is fine, but if its a stock carrier use really big channel locks so u don't crack it to hell.

CJM
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
If its an aftermarket alum. carrier using a punch or whatever is fine, but if its a stock carrier use really big channel locks so u don't crack it to hell.

What are you talking about? Ive adjusted tons of these stock carriers by putting an appropriately sized punch of a 1/4 socket extension with no issue. The problem is when you use something to small or to large. You wont damage anything if you use the right tool.

If your cracking it, your obviously forcing it or using something to large or to small to properly fit the hole.

mx Eli
01-01-2011, 03:14 PM
i did this on my 450r but wasnt as bad

pull the swing arm bolt and slide the swinger back the chain will pop right down

togup
01-01-2011, 03:24 PM
within the last six months there was a broken case on this forum from the chain slapping the case ,no myth here worn out sprockets and chains will get you in the end, replacing a case side is a lot of fun; hope you stay lucky!

rooster300ex
01-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by CJM
What are you talking about? Ive adjusted tons of these stock carriers by putting an appropriately sized punch of a 1/4 socket extension with no issue. The problem is when you use something to small or to large. You wont damage anything if you use the right tool.

If your cracking it, your obviously forcing it or using something to large or to small to properly fit the hole.

What do u mean what am i talkin about. U don't understand what I said. You must have not adjusted a carrier that doesn't move to easy. All i'm sayin is they crack easy take no chances with putting punches and **** in a stock carrier. Thats all i'm sayin. What are u talkin about?

trailrider894
01-01-2011, 05:49 PM
What do u mean what am i talkin about. U don't understand what I said. You must have not adjusted a carrier that doesn't move to easy. All i'm sayin is they crack easy take no chances with putting punches and **** in a stock carrier. Thats all i'm sayin. What are u talkin about?

CJM is right. If the carrier cracked, it was a user error not the carriers fault.

rooster300ex
01-01-2011, 06:24 PM
If its stock it isn't a hole its a slot :rolleyes: All i'm doin is giving advise i'm not sayin your way doesn't work, but since the guy is on here askin all these questions i'm tryin to keep him from tearin something up. By using big channel locks U can't crack the carrier or tear it up in anyway. The male ego just can't take another person advise. Thats what this site is your opinion

trailrider894
01-01-2011, 06:56 PM
If its stock it isn't a hole its a slot :rolleyes: All i'm doin is giving advise i'm not sayin your way doesn't work, but since the guy is on here askin all these questions i'm tryin to keep him from tearin something up. By using big channel locks U can't crack the carrier or tear it up in anyway. The male ego GD

I totally understand the channel locks though. It is much safer, but if you maintain the bike and the carrier isn't stuck, channel locks aren't needed.

rooster300ex
01-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
I totally understand the channel locks though. It is much safer, but if you maintain the bike and the carrier isn't stuck, channel locks aren't needed.

I agree

CJM
01-01-2011, 07:19 PM
If its frozen then obviously its gonna be a bear to move and yea it can crack-but whose fault is that? I bought mine used and so did my buddy, we never had an issues adjusting ours and Ill explain why in the next paragraph.

Ive done plenty and never cracked one, and yea some were tough to move. Trick was to make damn sure the carrier was loose, spray some PBlaster and you took your time adjusting it-forcing it will crack it on any quad-be it an old pos or brand new. Just like loosening a nut or bolt thats rusted-you first tighten-then loosen and work it back and forth. Ive seen many break stuff like that, taking your time and not forcing it will work it free. Also having it up off the ground makes the job of not forcing it like 100x easier. A jack stand right under the axle does wonders.

Im sorry you cracked one or maybe more, but its your fault and no one else. Since its soft aluminum your chances of messing it up are 10 fold vs steel. A pair of channel locks will do work-but that sure isnt the right tool to use.

racer36
01-02-2011, 05:45 AM
No, to much slack in the chain I guess and came around corner to hard and I tried to put it in first and it would click and just bog down and wouldn't move. What would you know the chain had wrapped up and it was really tight around the axle.. I guess I like to party to hard

If it has a stock skidplate, check to see if its all bent up and forcing the chain to one side of the sprocket, ive had to bend my skidplate back down because it was doing this on my old 300

450rJam
01-02-2011, 06:30 AM
had to do the foot stomp on my sons yfz when it did that, it was tight as heck.
you might want to check your axle bearings and rear sprocket too

2001400exrida
01-02-2011, 06:39 AM
why are you guys using puches to move the carrier? all you ahve to do is take the allen wrench that comes in the 400ex tool pack and it slides right in the groover on the carrier then you just pull back to tighten the chain.

if you don't have that allen wrench you cfan find a metric allen pack and find the size that slides right in those grooves. it's very easy with an allen wrench that's how i adjust mine and i've done it several times now!

ther's no reason to use a punch, i did that the first time because somebody suggested it and all it does is leave makrks on your carrier. just take the allen wrench method and if it's sticking wiggle the wheeler around a little. the toolkit comes with the perfect fit allen to go in the slot.

both opf my carriers will move easy enough to where all i've ever had to use is the allen.

also, opposing what CJM said, it's actually easier to move the carrier if it's on the ground , you put it up on a jackstand and everything gets wobbly and then the axle spins. the tires being on the ground arne't going to hold the carrier in place that hard at all.

just get your allen in there and do some wiggling. please don't use a punch on these stock ones. that's the WRONG tool. channel locks are closer to the right tool than trying to use a punch that's just gonna bind things up. if you have a good phipplips screwdriver you can see if it goes in the groove far enough and try that also.

CJM
01-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Why is it EVERYTHING I post you have to one up and disagree with me?

You guys use what method you want to adjust it, lord knows Im an idiot and dont know how to do anything apparently.. :rolleyes:

BenHonda400ex
01-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Haha... Why are there so many REPLYS!! Make another thread if you want to fight

CJM
01-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Haha... Why are there so many REPLYS!! Make another thread if you want to fight

because people are idiots.

2001400exrida
01-03-2011, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by CJM
because people are idiots.

i'm just saying it's easier on the ground and not to use a punch.

i'm just giving a proper method to adjusting chain slack. using a punch is bogus. especially when honda gives you the perfect tool in the toolkit to do that job.

CJM
01-03-2011, 11:02 AM
i'm just saying it's easier on the ground and not to use a punch.

i'm just giving a proper method to adjusting chain slack. using a punch is bogus. especially when honda gives you the perfect tool in the toolkit to do that job.

You do realize most people dont have the tool kit anymore right?

And if it was up in the air it has no resistance like if it was on the ground.

But of course you know better, right?

2001400exrida
01-04-2011, 08:14 AM
yeah that's why i said if you don't have the toolkit just use the right size allen wrench.

I guess it doesn't really matter if it's on the ground or not. There is no resistance on the ground either because the carrier will spin in the swingarm (it's not like you're trying to turn the tires or something.) THe carrier spins freely in the swingarm, so there shouldn't be any difference, but you've been doing it that way forever so your method is just the best one isn't it!

YOu get all hot and bothered when i give my explination i think that's funny, there is no right or wrong but there are easier ways of doing things. and a punch is big no no, especially with the old carrier style, it's got holes just so you don't have to use a punch.

keep on keepin on CJM but don't get offended when you're old fashion methods aren't the best.

99400esex
01-04-2011, 08:31 AM
I use a punch too, guess I'm old fashioned as well. You ain't alone cjm!

trailrider894
01-04-2011, 09:03 AM
keep on keepin on CJM but don't get offended when you're old fashion methods aren't the best.

You know what sucks? Its like all the sudden in the past few months we got members who seem to know everything!!!!!!!!!! Some have wised up and stopped being know it alls after they realize they aren't the smartest kid on the block. 2001400exrida, your day is coming to be put to shame... You just watch. I know i have definetly had my moments, but i try to base what i say off of facts. BTW i have had my bike for nearly 6yr's and have adjusted the chain dozens of times, and i always used a punch or rachet extension.

250x_kyle
01-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 99400esex
I use a punch too, guess I'm old fashioned as well. You ain't alone cjm!

x3 i always used a punch on my 400ex and never had issues with leaving marks. guess it must be one of the tools invovled.

MtnEX
01-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Haha. What do you think? http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=4033867

I read through all the banter in this thread... hoping I would not have to be the A-HOLE to point this out...

But your stuff is wore slap out dude!
Get a new chain and sprockets.

It's coming off because it's slipping off the teeth.

CJM
01-05-2011, 10:03 PM
edit: never mind, arguing with an idiot is pointless

trailrider894
01-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by CJM
edit: never mind, arguing with an idiot is pointless

x2 man...

Check out this thread CJM. Click Here (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=456251&perpage=10&pagenumber=1)

CJM
01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
gotcha

MtnEX
01-06-2011, 12:15 AM
I take it that is in regards to the punch use for turning the carrier?

I say whatever is tough enough not to break off in there...cause mine has been hard to turn and I have been through that scare already and got real lucky.

As for the original post... don't you guys agree the original poster is having these issues because his stuff is wore slap out?

The drive parts look wore slap out to me in that little pic from what I can see with it being small.

Wear out any part of the final drive and fail to replace it as a wear item, and you can expect stuff like this to happen.

hiway6969
01-06-2011, 07:25 AM
i had a chain pop off a dozen times one race...cause: bearing carrier imploded causing tons of movement. id check the carrier for slop and figure out a method of chain adjustment that works for you. and surely id get some new sprockets and chain, go down a tooth in the front while your at it since 400s r turds any way (i can say this because i have one lol) as far as turning the carrier i have found that the best way for me is to take the weight off the rear and loosen the bolts, maybe a slight pry to spread the gap a hair and i use a pair of craftsmen oil filter pliers. sure it has put a few small scratches on the carrier but it is sooo easy. i used to rely on a nutdriver that fit the hole in my aftermarket carrier till i bent it.

and if the carrier is frozen try loosening the pinch bolts, add some wd40 type of spray, put bike in 1st gear and throw your ***** into it pushing it to and fro and it might help budge it. not trying to argue with any one on here just throwing out my 2 cents.

take weight off rear
use oil filter pliers to turn carrier

and i set my chain with a ratchet strap bottoming out the strap because fat friends r hard to find lol i give it about 1/2 to 3/4 freeplay at bottom of travel.

2001400exrida
01-06-2011, 10:31 AM
CJM why would you call me an idiot? Grow up and understand that people have different methods and ways of doing things, don't get offensive and call me an idiot, that's childish my friend.

i like your method for adjusting the chain slack, i usually end up having a friend sit on it for me, but if i'm alone the tie down straight is a good idea.

I still don't see how having the quad off the ground helps to turn the carrier? I mean it turns in the swingarm and the axle freely moves inside of it, so why having the wheels off the ground help?

it should turn all it wants while on the ground and the axle will just sit inside the carrier while it's being turned.

Scro
01-06-2011, 10:45 AM
The bickering back and forth is going to stop. That goes for everyone involved. Either that or it will be shut down like the other thread was.

hiway6969
01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
It would help the carrier spin easier since the weight is off it, imagine having a 1/2" hatchet with a large socket on it now stand on the socket and turn the wrench the lift your foot and turn, easier with less weight. That may or may not be a bad ex but hey Atleast I tried to explain lol. If the carrier isn't seized it should turn easy either way though

BenHonda400ex
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
I read through all the banter in this thread... hoping I would not have to be the A-HOLE to point this out...

But your stuff is wore slap out dude!
Get a new chain and sprockets.

It's coming off because it's slipping off the teeth. I think it's only the back sproket because the chain is pretty good if I go any tighten it will break and everytime the go around a corner hard it just slips off... Who knows. Haha Not me

hiway6969
01-06-2011, 04:34 PM
FYI: chain and sprocketz wear together, so its always better to replace them all at one time.

The chain coming off on corners even when tightened tells me something is goin on back there, like loose axle, sprocket on wrong side of sprocket hub , carrier bearings are gone, swing ARM pivot bearings gone or bent something. Have u recently wrecked the bike or something

MtnEX
01-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I think it's only the back sproket because the chain is pretty good if I go any tighten it will break and everytime the go around a corner hard it just slips off... Who knows. Haha Not me

Hard to tell in that picture but the front and the chain look worn, so being as these things wear together I assumed the rear would be bad. Often people will replace the chain and front and run the rear way bad.

I've seen them so bad you could hard accelerate in a straight line and it would jump a few teeth.

I'm thinking it is coming off under load.

But I do highly recommend what the last guy said too.

Find a way to set the frame up on something solid to get the entire rear off the ground, no load on the swinger or anything.

Shake it all around checking for play in all parts of the rear end. Might need someone to sit on it or hold it still.

I have one in down here with a chain always jumping off the rear although it's tight and the sprocket and chain are new.

Cause is a very small amount of play in the swing arm pivot... multiplied by the length of the swinger... Gets out of alignment and also gets shorter between the sprockets when it shifts.

Get it in just the right position and the chain pops off every time.

HondaPohl
01-06-2011, 06:14 PM
That blows. I did that on a Quadzilla. Now I check the tension and lube before i go out!

fearlessfred
01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
1 I would have to agree with the members here say that this problem is usualy caused from worn out parts and i have had this happen at least 3 times in 25 years of riding and each time it was from worn out parts. if an aftermarket skid is used and kept very close to the chain the chain can not come off unless it breaks. the chain always comes off from the bottom first and if a solid skid plat is close enough to the chain it cant come off