PDA

View Full Version : lets clear up the flipping linkage myth?

trailrider894
12-29-2010, 12:36 PM
So... i was checking out some post in my thread for posting your MX 400ex, a discussion came up about flipping the rear linkage. 400man Claims it lowers ride height an inch and makes the shock stiffer... Lets get some pro opinion on this topic... I know its been dabbled with before on the bike, but i want a definite answer on whether this is a good and safe mod? or whether it is only going to destroy things and add stress?

400man
12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
i want a definite answer on whether this is a good and safe mod? or whether it is only going to destroy things and add stress?

yea that would be the main concern, too see if it will damage the shock or linkage itself. now I only switched it around in the shop, I didnt go out and and test ride it. I measured from the ground to the grab bar for the two different setups, and with it backwards it set right at 1 inch lower. and it may just be my opinion, but the shock felt alot stiffer when putting all my weight pushing down on the grab bar. I switched it back to normal and it was not nearly as stiff. there is no clearance issues with the linkage, it all bolts up fine. if anybody wants to try it for theirself, it only takes a few minutes if you got a floor jack to raise the bike and take pressure off the shock.

slightlybent47
12-29-2010, 02:22 PM
That would make me think there may be an issue with it binding up or the geometry isn’t right.