PDA

View Full Version : winter time camping tips needed

jake55
12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
what's the secret to keeping the rv from freezing???
dont even say keep the heat on, that's a no brainer!!!!!
i see all these motorhomes and toy haulers cruisin up and down the highway all winter long, just seems to me the holding tanks would freeze up solid with a 65mph wind chill factored in.

DnB_racing
12-29-2010, 12:52 PM
the wind chill doent have any effect as far as frezing goes, if its 33 and has a wind chill of 0 the actual air temp is still 33

trailrider894
12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
the wind chill doent have any effect as far as frezing goes, if its 33 and has a wind chill of 0 the actual air temp is still 33

its beside the point. Well, my dad doesn't fill the tanks until we get to our destination. There are chemicals you can put in the tank to stop them from freezing. Search this topic on google...

400exrider707
12-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Use a tent you nancy!

You can check out www.rv.net there's lots of good info there...

DnB_racing
12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
its beside the point. Well, my dad doesn't fill the tanks until we get to our destination. There are chemicals you can put in the tank to stop them from freezing. Search this topic on google... actually its very much on point!!! as antifreeze for potable water is expensive and gives the water a slight unpleasant flavor!!! if its not below freezing (actual air temp) then you dont have to add it

finsteratv
12-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
actually its very much on point!!! as antifreeze for potable water is expensive and gives the water a slight unpleasant flavor!!! if its not below freezing (actual air temp) then you dont have to add it
if it tastes unpleasent take some seperate drinking water..

IdahoMX
12-29-2010, 07:05 PM
A lot of them have tank heaters on them as well

trailrider894
12-29-2010, 08:46 PM
also, most campgrounds now have running water to hook up to your rv, so we run empty tanks all the way home and use a few gallon jugs filled with water to flush the toilet.

tri5ron
12-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Use a tent you nancy!

You can check out www.rv.net there's lots of good info there... 707, Are you a member on the ORF/ RV.NET forums ?
Lots of good folks, and great info. to be learned and shared there. Many of the people I now ride with, are people that I met from there.

and to the OP, as has already been mentoned, windchill factor does not affect the temps on water and/or holding tanks. it akes more than just a few hours of below 32 degree air temp before it really becomes an issue for RV tanks. As well, most RV's now have ducted heating systems, and most have some,(just a little is all thats needed), of the heated air from the furnaces, directed towards the tanks.
The only real time freezing tanks becomes an issue is when people leave tanks and lines full and parked for extended periods, in places that are well below freezing temps for multiple days.
This is when and where it becomes most important to "Winterize" your RV's systems.

as was earlier suggested, go to the forums at RV.net, and look up "Winterizing your RV".
There are MANY threads and conversations on the subject.

fortunately for me, living in So. Cal.,...
Winterizing basically means I have to take out my flip-flops, put in a pair of socks, and a flannel shirt in the closet ! LOL!