PDA

View Full Version : i need help, and dont know where to turn!!!

hiway6969
12-29-2010, 10:51 AM
i know this is a trx250r forum, but ive googled my ride and cant find a decent forum for it. ive taken in a 1989 cr250r dirt bike. im missing a bunch of parts like the carb, both radiators and rear fender. bike bandit shows the carb as discontinued but that its the same from 85 thru 89.......which leads me to this question..... will a 250r quad carb work on this? and this motor has a powervalve, i used to have a cr500 with out a power valve and have ridden bikes with powervalves and i my self like the non powervalve, (smoother, less parts to break etc etc). i wonder if a trx250r jug would line up correctly with my cases......

hartwill
12-29-2010, 11:05 AM
the carb you need is a 38mm keihin pwk (the air stryker will work too). the trx jug might work, but you shouldnt have a problem finding a non pv cr cylinder on ebay. the cr cylinder will have better porting anyway. all your parts should be easily found on ebay.

hiway6969
12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
ive heard of the "air stryker" before....but not sure what it is. is that an aftermarket one or is that like a cool nickname for a oem carb from another model. and where can i get one of em.

has any one put a cr250r jug on a trx bottom end before. if any of you all have then that would mean the bottom cases are close or identical and i could begin a search for a trx jug.....or just one size up the jug i have lol

troybilt
12-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by hiway6969
ive heard of the "air stryker" before....but not sure what it is. is that an aftermarket one or is that like a cool nickname for a oem carb from another model. and where can i get one of em.

has any one put a cr250r jug on a trx bottom end before. if any of you all have then that would mean the bottom cases are close or identical and i could begin a search for a trx jug.....or just one size up the jug i have lol

Only the older CR jugs will work on the bottom end with out machining the cases for different stud pattern. I forget which years.

troybilt
12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Check cross compatibility thread, says 84/85 cylinders... a.k.a. the ATAC cylinders

hiway6969
12-29-2010, 12:41 PM
dang, looks like ill be keepin wut i got. ill know for sure when i tear into it this weekand but is the jug iron sleeve or coated for the cr jug

Rich250RRacer
12-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
the carb you need is a 38mm keihin pwk (the air stryker will work too). the trx jug might work, but you shouldnt have a problem finding a non pv cr cylinder on ebay. the cr cylinder will have better porting anyway. all your parts should be easily found on ebay.

You can use a PWK, but the original carb was a 38mm PJ, which will be easier to find and less expensive. And while nearly everybody will tell you the PWK is going to work so much better than the PJ, to be perfectly honest, the average rider will not be able to notice much, if any, difference between the two.

MANIAK 88R
12-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I had an 89 cr250 back in the day. That thing ran like a stripped @$$ed ape. The HPP cyl has a decent port layout. I have ran an ATAC cyl and an HPP on a TRX bottom end with almost no mods. (spacer under the HPP). The HPP gets the power valve plugged wide open when mounting on a TRX bottom end.

You should leave your CR with the HPP power valve cyl. That motor works really well.

If you are short on knowledge about your CR, you should contact ESR racing. (ESR250.com) Eddie has taken on a personal mission to continue producing TRX250R Parts. Most of his site is about TRX250R stuff, but if you contact them, they can help you with your CR. A lot of the parts are interchangeable.

ESR got where it is today largely due to micro-sprint racing. When the 250 micro class was going strong, ESR's CR engines where powering most of the national points leaders.

I'm not trying to push any particular shop but I would bet that ESR's knowledge about CR's would rival any other builder in the nation, particularly with the HPP cyl.

Other things to keep an eye on with your CR is the rear shock linkage. I broke two different dogbones on two different 89-90 CR's

Also watch for cracks on the tripple clamp and around the right front axle mount on the inverted forks.

fastredrider44
12-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I also used to have an 89 CR. That thing would scream. I'd keep your eyes peeled on ebay for parts. FYI Nikasil cylinder.

hiway6969
12-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Cool, ill check them out thanx for the advice. And I lucked out cause it came with a very slightly used used spare swingarm with all the linkage and spare new looking triples.

K-Dub
12-29-2010, 03:54 PM
FYI 88 to 91 had the same engine and most other parts interchange. 88 was the last year with the conventional forks. 90 and 91s gas tank was different along with airbox, side number plates and sub frame but will fit on the 89 along with radiators, and carbs. I had an 88 with 90 tank, sub frame, airbox, number plates, and rear fender.

Rich250RRacer
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Like everyone else has said, the HPP motor on these bikes ran extremely well. All the HPP motors from 86-91 were excellent powerplants. Unfortunately, the 89 was the first year for the inverted fork, and Honda missed the mark by a mile. It was one of the worst fork set ups ever built and defied almost every attempt to correct the problem. The best thing you could do with the forks was take them off and replace them with a set from a 90 or 91.

Earlier this year when I bought my ATC, the guy I got it from had this 89 CR for sale. He was asking $800 or BO for it. If it would have been any other year CR with an HPP motor, it would be in my garage right now. I think he still has it too.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee108/rich250rracer/phonepictures009.jpg

hiway6969
12-29-2010, 10:48 PM
That's a clean 89 though. What made the forks so bad? This will be the only upside down forked dirtbike, my 500 was 87 and all my xr's had conventional. I don't do Moto x so if its a jump related issue ill be fine lol

Rich250RRacer
12-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by hiway6969
That's a clean 89 though. What made the forks so bad? This will be the only upside down forked dirtbike, my 500 was 87 and all my xr's had conventional. I don't do Moto x so if its a jump related issue ill be fine lol

A friend of mine had an 89 back around the time I had my 90, 91, and 93. The forks were much more harsh through the travel. I remember trying different oils and oil levels to make it better. Back then, we really didn't have the money to sink into revalving, it was something more serious racers did. And it was when the next model year came out that you heard in the magazine tests that revalving didn't help the 89 forks anyway. If you don't ride another bike with better suspension, you may never notice the difference, or you may get used to the way it rides, especially if you're just going to trail ride it. In any case, enjoy the motor because it's one of the best 250's made.

fastredrider44
12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Here's my 89 from back in the day. I was 14 when I bought this on ebay, 250 miles away from the house and paid for it using my own money before dad found out. Boy was he pizzed. I sank a lot of money in it that I really shouldnt have in a bike of this age and condition, but I was 14 and it was the nicest thing I had ever owned as dad said he wouldn't be buying me any more toys. Don't make fun, I was just a kid.

And dont make fun of the bucket.
:o

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc281/fastredrider44/Graphic1.jpg

hiway6969
12-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Dang, that's a nice lookin bike, I haven't decided on my color scheme yet, ....now if only the bucket looked as good as the bike lol