PDA

View Full Version : Keep snapping extended kicker

fauxamish
12-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I converted my 400ex to kick start and made an extended kicker to clear the frame by welding 2 knuckles together. The problem is that I keep breaking the weld. It's breaking because it is twisting. I don't have any type of compression release, so I have to kick from just the right spot to get it to start.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to stop the outer knuckle from twisting and breaking the weld?

racerx573
12-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Find a piece of steel tubing to go over the two that are welded together. and weld around the edges.

Say for example the "=" are kickers and the the "___" above and below are the tubing.. and the "|" is the weld.

_____Weld tube to knuckles here

==|==
_____Weld tube to knuckles here

Does that make sense

ytman
12-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Post a picture of the broken weld. A quality weld should not break in that situation.There's lots of meat to weld to there.

jcs003
12-30-2010, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by ytman
Post a picture of the broken weld. A quality weld should not break in that situation.There's lots of meat to weld to there.

agreed. i have a similiar set up on my hybrid and the splines stripped and the knuckle and the welds are still holding strong.

fauxamish
12-30-2010, 08:38 AM
I just dropped it off yesterday with the guy who's been welding if for me. If it breaks again, I'll take it to a different person.

ytman
12-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Ask him if he can make it strong enough to hold. ha ha

fauxamish
12-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Lol, he welded it with a stainless steel rod (don't know a whole lot about welding...) and welded some flat steel across both pieces. It didn't break when I started my bike this afternoon, so I guess its good for now lol.

woodsracer144
05-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by fauxamish
Lol, he welded it with a stainless steel rod :confused:

thats a carbon steel not?