PDA

View Full Version : Can't shift in 5th gear

vjace
12-28-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm new to the quading sene. Just picked up a 05 400 ex drove it in my back yard and stuff since July. We had a blizard the other day and went riding in the streets and realized fifth gear is not engaging. I did a full oil change on it when I got it and one not too long ago oem parts oil and filter. I never really had to use 4th or 5th gear in my back yard nor did i test every gear apon purchase. Now I'm sadly disappointed that i may have gotten ripped off and that I could not keep up with my buddies quad At higher speeds. Any input would be great.

Ps I did do a search prior to post.

rubbersdown
12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
probably a bent shift fork but no way to find out without pulling the motor and splitting the cases.

vjace
12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
pisssssssss
I have to pull the whole motor out or can i take it apart on the frame? do you know off hand how much a fork will cost? how do you bend a fork? if i delayed replacing the fork you think i would damage anything else more? My last question is their a online pdf service manual? i know i can buy one for 40 but i rather put that money towards repairs.

all this info will be greatly appreciated thank you.

Pipeless416
12-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by vjace
pisssssssss
I have to pull the whole motor out or can i take it apart on the frame? do you know off hand how much a fork will cost? how do you bend a fork? if i delayed replacing the fork you think i would damage anything else more? My last question is their a online pdf service manual? i know i can buy one for 40 but i rather put that money towards repairs.

all this info will be greatly appreciated thank you.

to split the cases you will need to take it out of the frame because of the bottom mounts. forks can bend with power shifting, shifting without the clutch, and just overall abuse. not changing it out will most likely not hurt anything else, but i would be much more comfortable knowing that that was definitely the problem.

i believe this should work for the manual.. http://www.sendspace.com/file/wcy9is

vjace
12-28-2010, 10:15 PM
my quad is an 05 that manual is for 99to 04

CJM
12-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by vjace
my quad is an 05 that manual is for 99to 04

Its mostly the same thing, just a few added parts for reverse.