PDA

View Full Version : My sleeper 300ex

12-01-2001, 10:47 PM
I have made alot of sleeper mods to my ex.It looks stock but doesn't run like it.

I have put a 350x airbox boot,Uni filter(I know it doesn't flow very good)125 main jet and did ALOT of work to the stock header pipe.

I runs very well for not having a aftermarket exhaust and other mods.In a drag it is right behind a scrambler 500 4x4.If I could keep the front end down I might have a chance.

What I was thinking next is to buy a used 300ex carb and taper bore it and see what the results are.I found a used one of a 2000 for 100 bucks.The newer ex's 98 and up have a 30 mm while the older one's had a 28mm.(I think)

I was wondering how much would this help?I am looking for more low-end with a little bit more top-end.

I was going to try and use a 400ex carb but everyone says I would loose low-end and have no throttle response.

Also does anyone know where I can find a new cdi box that still has a rev limiter but is higher than stock?

Thanks for any help

86 trx250r growing up to a 310
97 300ex

BANSHEEadam
12-02-2001, 11:16 AM
Prostreetduster wrote this in a reply to my post in classifieds..

Performance Parts
I have the TC Racing high rev CDI box, an oversized carb, and probably some other 300EX stuff for sale (I bought a Raptor).

Maybe check with him

DEAL
12-02-2001, 01:40 PM
Try a cam Http://www.webcaminc.com
Maybe a 330 kit.
Also drill a few holes in the bottom of your stock silencer. It will give you more flow without the noise.

96300ex
12-02-2001, 06:43 PM
Hey, why not find a real small performance exhaust pipe (like a tc or something) and cut open the stock exhaust. insert the pipe with a small extention to meet with the stock exit location and weld it up again and paint it. That would really be a sleeper! I've always wanted to do that but i like the look of the aftermarket pipes better.

12-02-2001, 09:16 PM
Today I went riding.There was a guy with a 250x with a FMF complete exhaust,uni filter and a different cam didn't tell me if it was for low-end or what.

In a LONG drag I got the jump until 5th gear then he slowly I mean slowly crept by.We declared that they both run about the same.I was running stock gearing with 20 inch razr's I am not sure what his gearing was but he said he had it geared for trails and the 22 shredders he had on it.He liked the 350x air box boot and said he had a couple 350x's at home and he was going to try it.

Against a 400ex I lost by alot really but not as bad as I used to.Remember these where really long races probably a good 1000ft.On a level straighty gravel road going through the middle of a farmers feild.

I really liked the FMF pipe not to loud and a real good sound.But It doesn't seem like it will help me much.Maybe the powroll header for the stock silencer will be my next mod.

86 trx250r
97 300ex

quadfamily
12-03-2001, 09:21 PM
Jeepin,
You will really like the Powroll head pipe with the stock silencer. I have one on mine. You definately have to re-jet though. I went up 2 sizes on the pilot, raised the needle one notch, and several sizes larger on the main jet. This was also with a K&N and airbox mods though. Your quad will rev alot quicker when it's done correctly. For the stock look I cut the little brackets that hold the heat shield off of my stock pipe and welded them onto the powroll head pipe and installed the stock heat shield. Had to trim the heat shield a little to make it look nice but it looks soooo stock now. Nobody notices that I have the head pipe on it.

stocktires
12-04-2001, 05:31 PM
Get the powroll header and paint it black with high temp exhaust paint. Get a high compression piston ad a drop-in cam, but you will need to get your stock rev-limiter taken out! You would have a killer sleeper motor

12-04-2001, 06:29 PM
I am going to go with a wiseco hig compression piston and probably a TC cam or web with titanium valve spring retainers and stiffer valve springs as well as hard faced rockers.

I will also go with a white bro's complete exhaust and maybe a new carb.Right now my 300ex is how I want.Decently quick reliable and still run to ride.

I have to get my R back togother first though!