PDA

View Full Version : Header glowing and bike wont wind out

Fantus
12-27-2010, 08:34 PM
I have an 04 trx450r with a fmf factory4.1 and powerbomb header, it also has hot cam stage 2, k&n air filter, hrc style lid, snorkel, and breather tee. I am running a 185 main with the stock needle in middle position. My average elevation is 597ft.
I noticed my header glowing bright red when I am in 5th gear over 3/4 throttle. Also I noticed I can't just pin it in 4th or 5th it just sputters and wont wind out all the way. If I roll into it I can get almost there but once I get to wot it sputters. I am thinking it's still lean on top but I don't know. Help please?

wild250rman
12-27-2010, 08:51 PM
go up to a 200 main jet and drop down one at a time until it clears up. should end up around a 190 main. a new sparks or hrc needle will help also.

dran714
12-27-2010, 10:30 PM
u didnt say what size pilot you had id try a 50 if u dont already,,
what is your fuel screw turned out should be like 2 to 2half turns out.. clean carb thoroughly and glowing is normal at idle ..
and has that "bomb" blown up yet? fmf is junk on 4 strokes just my 02 cents; good luck!

ps y didnt you ask for help over on the org?

Fantus
12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by wild250rman
go up to a 200 main jet and drop down one at a time until it clears up. should end up around a 190 main. a new sparks or hrc needle will help also.

That is what I figured but thought I would check. Will the needle really matter since it's after 3/4 throttle.

Fantus
12-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by dran714
u didnt say what size pilot you had id try a 50 if u dont already,,
what is your fuel screw turned out should be like 2 to 2half turns out.. clean carb thoroughly and glowing is normal at idle ..
and has that "bomb" blown up yet? fmf is junk on 4 strokes just my 02 cents; good luck!

ps y didnt you ask for help over on the org?

I didn't metion the pilot because it doesn't do it at idle it does it at wot. I have a 48 pilot out 3.5 turns runs great there. B4 you say it I have a 50 pilot but the bike just wont run right with it no matter where I put the pilot so I went back to the 48. Also the carb can't get any cleaner.

As far as the fmf goes the offset did bust it's weld once but it's fixed now and going great again. Keep in mind I bought it used already for 150 bucks. I also read a comparison for a bunch of different pipes and the fmf factory 4.1 came out on top. I will look for link again and post it. I was looking for a quiter pipe. And unless your over 55hp no need for a dasa.

As far as the org goes I have had problems with a moderator highjacking all of my posts and just ruining good discusions. Plus they all think every machine should be race ready. I say they are just ready to blow up. I ride daily and don't care about dyno numbers I care about my bike and real world power. Them guys give out advice but their bikes blow up once a year. I am doing the research and building my bike how I want it not how they want it. And don't dare mention chad there they loose thier minds.

wild250rman
12-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Fantus
That is what I figured but thought I would check. Will the needle really matter since it's after 3/4 throttle. the needle and main jet over lap at around 3/4 throttle your pilot should be fine and another indicator is 3.5 turns out 1.5 to 2.5 turns is a little closer. usally a 190 main with your mods are close but better to go a little rich and work down. the needle will also help clear up throttle response and pull a lot better

Fantus
12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
the needle and main jet over lap at around 3/4 throttle your pilot should be fine and another indicator is 3.5 turns out 1.5 to 2.5 turns is a little closer. usally a 190 main with your mods are close but better to go a little rich and work down. the needle will also help clear up throttle response and pull a lot better

I wish I could get the hrc needle with a different jet than a 185 that I already have. Is the sparks needle as good as the hrc needle? And can you buy it seperatly or just as a kit?

wild250rman
12-28-2010, 09:27 PM
I wish I could get the hrc needle with a different jet than a 185 that I already have. Is the sparks needle as good as the hrc needle? And can you buy it seperatly or just as a kit?
from my understanding they are the same sparks is just an hrc needle. i bought a complete sparks kit for like 25 bucks shipped off ebay still in original packaging. sometimes you can get a descent deal or maybe someone on here may have a spare laying around they would let go of worth a try. don't know weather or not honda sells the needle out of the kit or not. i think a baldwin motor sports needle is an hrc also.

Fantus
12-30-2010, 05:05 PM
from my understanding they are the same sparks is just an hrc needle. i bought a complete sparks kit for like 25 bucks shipped off ebay still in original packaging. sometimes you can get a descent deal or maybe someone on here may have a spare laying around they would let go of worth a try. don't know weather or not honda sells the needle out of the kit or not. i think a baldwin motor sports needle is an hrc also.

Well they wouldn't sell the hrc needle seperatly, BUT they did let me switch the 185 main jet out for a 188 and I also bought 190, 195, and 198 mains all for 37 bucks. The hrc kit was only 26 out the door. They sure charge enough for a needle since the jets are only 3 bucks each means they get 23 bucks for the needle. And I noticed he forgot a few of the jets I told him I wanted. I wanted the 192 and 200 also but didn't notice until I got home. praying what I have works.

I'll let you know how it goes.

wild250rman
12-30-2010, 05:54 PM
hope it works for you i know it really cleared my 05 up.

Fantus
01-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Well installed the hrc needle with the 190 main, bike runs much better now. I went for 1 ride then found a guy who traded me his LTE dual exhaust for my FMF. I can't put the pipe on until I get a new crush gasket. Looks awsome tho.

wild250rman
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Well installed the hrc needle with the 190 main, bike runs much better now. I went for 1 ride then found a guy who traded me his LTE dual exhaust for my FMF. I can't put the pipe on until I get a new crush gasket. Looks awsome tho. post a pic of it when done would like to see it sounds like it would be different.