PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on air filter oil (foam type)

CJM
12-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Im curious to see what everyone thinks.

I have always used bar and chain oil or gear oil on my foam air filters. Not only can I buy an entire gallon for the cost of 1 small bottle of air filter oil, but it does the same job imho.

Others say to only use the specified air filter oil like maxima or the likes as it may suck oil back into the engine or whatever.

Funny, I distinctly remember back in the day the manuals called for using the same oil that went into your engine on the filter.

So what say you guys?

99400esex
12-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I personally use the honda air filter cleaner, it comes in a kit with oil, cleaner, and green stuff to hold the filter on the boot better. Honestly though I dont think it makes a difference.

CJM
12-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Ive heard the actual branded "air filter oil" has tacky additives in it so it stays on the filter and traps dirt..

But who really knows, marketing is a nice thing isnt it?

99400esex
12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
ehhh, the Honda filter oil that I have is the same exact thing, I just bought the kit because I liked the idea of the sealant around the filter.

2001400exrida
12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Ive heard the actual branded "air filter oil" has tacky additives in it so it stays on the filter and traps dirt..

But who really knows, marketing is a nice thing isnt it?

it definetly does!

go touch some motor motor oil and see hwo it runs off your finger.

then go touch some foam air filter oil and see how tacky and messy and sticky it is!

i'd recommend using the stuff that's made for you air filter, then use the stuff that's made for your motor when you do your oil change :)

fearlessfred
12-27-2010, 05:26 PM
oils have come along way since the days when we put motor oil on air filters. oils are all designed for specific applications and filter oil is designed for what it is used for .I would only concider using something else,only if it was 911. Never have i removed a foam air filter with air filter oil on it and found any trace of dirt. i can not say the same for k and n or that kinda filter. it is worth the money

2001400exrida
12-27-2010, 05:52 PM
those days had to be at least 20 years ago. that yamalube foam filter oil has been around forever!

slightlybent47
12-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Guy’s I’ve been riding for a long time and I always use the foam type filters because in my opinion they do the best job of cleaning the dirty air. I know there are many opinions on this so no arguing, it’s my opinion form 30 years of riding.
Any oil will be better than on oil on the filter, the main deference is that some, “not all” specific filter oils are better when the filter gets wet. I use Bel-Ray (foam filter oil) it is water proof oil with sling inhibitors in it that in my opinion is absolutely the best oil for foam filters. It also works well for chain oil as well.

fearlessfred
12-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
those days had to be at least 20 years ago. that yamalube foam filter oil has been around forever! enough of that you smarty pants youngster. yes a hundred years ago,there was no such thing as air filter oil and there was no such thing as cell phones. bet you didnt no that

2001400exrida
12-27-2010, 06:16 PM
haha i'm 28, not really that young???? i didn't have a cell phone in high school so i'm not that old haha.

i was just saying dude, the foam filter oil has been around for awhile it works better in all conditions i love it!

fearlessfred
12-27-2010, 06:28 PM
haha i'm 28, not really that young???? i didn't have a cell phone in high school so i'm not that old haha.

i was just saying dude, the foam filter oil has been around for awhile it works better in all conditions i love it! yes ,I agree , my first dirt bike was a kawasaki 90 two stroke with rotary reed induction and if i remember correctly i used gear oil on the air filter.the gocart track that i worked at used oil bath filters,but all this was before you were born

honda400ex2003
12-27-2010, 06:32 PM
I usually use ams oil filter stuff in our personal stuff. at work i was told to just use 90 weight so thats what i did lol. the filter oil was too much i guess so thats what i used. I think it is bell ray that makes some good stuff also.

How do you guys clean them? I use a little gas in a coffee can to clean them. Seems to work good without breaking them down if you oil them before the gas completely dries. steve

2001400exrida
12-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
I usually use ams oil filter stuff in our personal stuff. at work i was told to just use 90 weight so thats what i did lol. the filter oil was too much i guess so thats what i used. I think it is bell ray that makes some good stuff also.

where do you work?

i'd like to not go there if i can help it, if i ever brought my quad home with motor oil on the filter i'd probably take it right back to you.

there's no reason to be immature and get offended fearless fred. I'm just saying that foam air filter oil has been around for a while, i'm pretty picky about keeping my motor clean so i'd rather use the stuff that is made for it. motor oil is not.

honda400ex2003
12-27-2010, 06:42 PM
at a tree farm and worked with 2 old pos mowers. thats all... the lady could care less about the two mowers.

steve

fearlessfred
12-27-2010, 06:43 PM

How do you guys clean them? I use a little gas in a coffee can to clean them. Seems to work good without breaking them down if you oil them before the gas completely dries. steve i use bellray also(quite using gearoil in the 70s) .i quite using gas and started using laundry detergent. the gas seems to break down the glue that holds it all together

honda400ex2003
12-27-2010, 06:46 PM
ill have to try detergent, I dont have any issues with gas but it is always worth a shot to try something else.

any certain kind to use?

steve

2001400exrida
12-27-2010, 06:47 PM
at a tree farm and worked with 2 old pos mowers. thats all... the lady could care less about the two mowers.

steve

i used to use motor oil on my mower until i got my quads. since i have the good stuff now i use the good stuff on mjy mower.

it's a little different than a quad though, you can run a mower without ever messing with that air filter haha. my quad see's some dust/water/dirt/mud/snow so it's worth it.

i posted a link in a different thread about the ill effects of gas to clean the filter, it can work just fine obviously i'm sure you read it but i won't use it after reading that article.

fearlessfred
12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
where do you work?

i'd like to not go there if i can help it, if i ever brought my quad home with motor oil on the filter i'd probably take it right back to you.

there's no reason to be immature and get offended fearless fred. I'm just saying that foam air filter oil has been around for a while, i'm pretty picky about keeping my motor clean so i'd rather use the stuff that is made for it. motor oil is not. im not offended im just jackin with you .but now i am offended that u called me immature (just kidding) i am probaly no less picky than you when it comes to my motors. i keep at least 6 quads 4 cars and trucks and 2 trailers running without ever taking one to a shop. the better i care for them the less i have to work on them. we are in total agreeance on air filter oils. my point is that years ago before you were born we old folk used gear oil on our air filters and because u were not there does not make it untrue

BenHonda400ex
12-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Guy’s I’ve been riding for a long time and I always use the foam type filters because in my opinion they do the best job of cleaning the dirty air. I know there are many opinions on this so no arguing, it’s my opinion form 30 years of riding.
Any oil will be better than on oil on the filter, the main deference is that some, “not all” specific filter oils are better when the filter gets wet. I use Bel-Ray (foam filter oil) it is water proof oil with sling inhibitors in it that in my opinion is absolutely the best oil for foam filters. It also works well for chain oil as well. Stupid question.. Put how do you get out the oil when you need to clean it if it's waterproof? :confused:

2001400exrida
12-27-2010, 07:21 PM
i never said it was untrue.

but i bet that air filter oil has been around as long as the air filters, or at least close to it.

i believe you put gear oil on your air filters, but i bet if you were concerned or cared u could have easily been putting foam air filter oil on it. the stuff has probably been around for 40 years.

just because you put the gear oil on back then doesn't mean that everybody did that back then.

honda400ex2003
12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
ive never seen a waterproof filter but i smear mine around then squeeze the oil throughout when i do them. I make wave passed around the filter also to get it coated decent before smearing it around and squeezing it. many ways to go it i suppose and it all depends on how viscous the oil you are using is. that ams oil stuff is pretty thick it dries a bit. steve

2001400exrida
12-27-2010, 07:30 PM
yeah i used to put mine in a plastic bag and then ring out the excess when i had yamalube oil.

now that i have the spray on stuff i can just spray it all with a decent layer from the outside of the filter and that does the trick real well.

i have yet to see dirt on the inside of my filter when i go to clean it. it will look filthy outside but no dirt makes it to the inside.

slightlybent47
12-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by BenHonda400ex
Stupid question.. Put how do you get out the oil when you need to clean it if it's waterproof? :confused:

Not a stupid question at all.

Most motor oils will turn milky when it gets water in it. I have used many types of oil over the years and if you use regular motor oil and ride in wet conditions, the oil on the filter will dilute and migrate to the bottom of the filter, reducing the effectiveness of using oil on the filter.
The Bel-Ray oil is water proof, in other words, water will not blend with it unless you use an emulsifier to break down the oil. Such as a de greaser or soap with a de greasing agent in it. The only easy and fast way I have found to clean the filter using the Bel-Ray oil is to use gas to cut the oil and then I blow it out with high presser air. Then I use simple green or a good dish soap to clean the gas from the filter. Then I hit it with the high presser air again and let dry completely before re oiling the filter. Make sure you don’t skimp on the oil when oiling the filter. I have several filters in rotation because it takes a few days for the filter to air dry.

NacsMXer
12-27-2010, 07:46 PM
The newer air filter specific oils are really the way to go. The old method of using heavy weight oil works and can get you by, but it certainly isn't the best choice. Namely, because it tends to drain out, or collect in the bottom of the filter, creating an uneven coverage situation, and because it isn't as good at attracting dirt.

The newer foam filter specific oils are extremely tacky and have a lot better dirt holding ability than plain oil. I like the sprays too because you can control how even your coverage is and then massage it into the filter with your hands. After that, the oil absolutely stays put and won't run out of the filter.

I've tried a lot of foam filter products and I really like the PJ1 foam filter oil and cleaner for my UNI filter. The stuff is insanely tacky and really works like it's supposed to.

honda400ex2003
12-27-2010, 07:49 PM
you you can buy a k&n and use the stuff they give you and call it a day. you can clean it with the cleaner, let it dry, and spray it down good with oil and away you go. lol :p steve

slightlybent47
12-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
The newer air filter specific oils are really the way to go. The old method of using heavy weight oil works and can get you by, but it certainly isn't the best choice. Namely, because it tends to drain out, or collect in the bottom of the filter, creating an uneven coverage situation, and because it isn't as good at attracting dirt.

The newer foam filter specific oils are extremely tacky and have a lot better dirt holding ability than plain oil. I like the sprays too because you can control how even your coverage is and then massage it into the filter with your hands. After that, the oil absolutely stays put and won't run out of the filter.

I've tried a lot of foam filter products and I really like the PJ1 foam filter oil and cleaner for my UNI filter. The stuff is insanely tacky and really works like it's supposed to.

I agree 100%
I’m sure there several filter specific oils that work great. I have just been using Bel-Ray for so long and like it so well I haven’t used any other brands in a long time.

2001400exrida
12-27-2010, 07:53 PM
i use klotz foam filter oil, it's waterproof spray on. red color like my uni so i like that too.

honda400ex2003
12-27-2010, 07:54 PM
it is nice to see a healthy discussion on here for once. :D Cheers, steve

fearlessfred
12-27-2010, 08:07 PM
i dont think the air filer oil was around in the 70s i could be wrong.i think im correct in saying that the manufactures recommended gear oil. maybe someone else can offer what they know on this.

slightlybent47
12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Back in the late 70’s I used the same 2 stroke oil I used in the gas to put on the filter. But then those were my goon riding days so I’m sure I did lots of thing wrong. I don’t remember filter oil specifically but I was a poor man in those days and I used what ever I had.lol

fearlessfred
12-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Back in the late 70’s I used the same 2 stroke oil I used in the gas to put on the filter. But then those were my goon riding days so I’m sure I did lots of thing wrong. I don’t remember filter oil specifically but I was a poor man in those days and I used what ever I had.lol i did some research and found out that I AM WRONG because filter oil has been around since the filter itself .i was never aware of this,prob. because i was young and poor myself

CJM
12-28-2010, 12:19 AM
hmm, a healthy debate..amazing.

Ive always used gear oil, guess Ill give some maxima or belray a try.

2001400exrida
12-28-2010, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
i did some research and found out that I AM WRONG because filter oil has been around since the filter itself .i was never aware of this,prob. because i was young and poor myself

i figured it had. nice to see a good honest fella setting it straight.

motor oil or gear oil has always just been the lazy or old traditional method i guess.

once you use the new stuff you know you won't go back though haha.