PDA

View Full Version : 87 250x to a 300ex frame/Gusset?

dman66
12-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Ok guys, I purchased a 1998 300ex frame,which is straight-not bent-and needed some welding repairs. Welding repairs have been made. What else can I or should I do to this frame before I transfer my 250x parts over to the 300ex frame? The 250x frame is bent in multiple areas so I decided to get a straight frame. I do small jumping,trail riding,rough terain riding..... Should I gusset or not. Any one have info on where to gusset - this is my project during the holidays. Happy Holidays all..........

XR200R
12-27-2010, 04:57 PM
gusset the frame, stock frames suck. i dont care if ya jump or not, sooner or later somone is gonna break somthing. gusset it down at the foot pegs, around the frame where the 1 peice goes to the steering neck and the other peice goes to the 1st a-arm top. right where thev kinda v together on both sides put a foot 2" gusset there. the 3rd should be around lower frame to top member of the a-arm about 6" back from the front of the frame put a vertial peice in there. lastly gusset the rear where the vertial peice of the frame meets the top frame rails.

dman66
12-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks xr200r for the advice. This is your old 300ex frame. It welded up pretty good. Now before paint process occurs, I would like to gusset her up.I went and got 1/8" steel plate to make gussets.Do you know of any threads or posts out there where this is documented? I've been looking for this info for a while now with no luck.

dman66
12-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Found this pic on internet.Are these the proper points to gusset the 300ex frame? Are there any pionts left out. Gusset areas are marked in red.

XR200R
12-27-2010, 08:43 PM
thats not the correct places for racing. thats a pic of somone not knowing what they are doing.

my frame is gussested per the following blue places. anyknow knowing anything will know 250x/300ex frames always break at the foot pegs like i showed you on that frame when you bought it.

follow the blue gusset pics. if you need more gussests then that to trail ride or run XC like i do call HRE to have him build you a chromolly 300ex frame. he did my swingarm my frame and my alum air box. i run full out race stuff only reason my frame is somewhat oem is to give me a vin number.