PDA

View Full Version : Oil tank suggestion (couldn't find correct sub-forum)

MiZZiE
12-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Hello everyone, I don't post very often so please excuse my 'ignorance' however I couldn't find an appropriate section in the list of sub forum catagorys since this is a general rather than brand specific question, sorry!

On to my question, We got a good amount of snow today in RI and I was out riding on a trail with my nephew before the snow got too deep. I was following him when I noticed a rattling sound coming from my quad.. Long story short, I guess a mounting bolt for the oil reservoir rattled loose. I noticed this so I shut it off but it was too late the oil tank fell and hit the exhaust burning a small hole in the tank while making a nice little smoke show! I tied the tank up away from the exhaust and I had a full tank of oil thank goodness so I had more than enough to make it back to the truck before it all leaked out.

I ordered a new oil tank just now from a parts website but with holidays and such I probably wont recieve the tank for a good 2 weeks. I'm not one to 'jury rig' things but just as a temp. fix to get out and enjoy this snow is there any type of oil/plastic safe sealer, silicone or patch job I can do on the tank (thick plastic tank) to block the hole while I wait for my new tank?

Thanks,
Mike

finsteratv
12-27-2010, 12:42 AM
what about a piece of plastic with epoxy and sealed all up? what kind of tank are we taling about? blaster auto oil tank? if there isnt much pressure i dont see how somthing like it wouldnt work as long as it sealed well

MiZZiE
12-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Thanks for your reply. Well it's actually on a 'heavily modded' 110cc e-ton (haha yea yea i know!) so I don't think there is much pressure? I have an older Polaris 250 but it was stolen from the back of my truck while fishing, when I got it back from the police it had a blown top end (someone beat on it and left it in the woods after they ran the oil tank dry and killed the poor thing) so for now untill I rebuild the 250, my toy is this ATV which is really only made for teens but I picked it up cheap to stay on the trails. actually odd enough it's almost the size of my Polaris! but the oil tanks are entirely differantly shaped already checked.

I'm just scared of it not being oil safe, or not bonding properly. Any tips on removing all traces of oil to get a good oil free bond? Thanks, Mike