PDA

View Full Version : should i drop the kn and go for a uni?

HiperEX
02-11-2003, 07:26 PM
ok im thinking about switching filters and move to a uni much easier to maintain to me, would i need to rejet if i switch to a uni rather than using my kn?

flyin#5
02-11-2003, 07:34 PM
if it was me i would switch to uni. we have them on our quads and they work great. they provide maximum airflow with more protection against k&n. so uni would provide less airflow so you might need to rejet. but i would put the uni on and see how it runs first. if it seems to run alot different than your used to and bogs a little more then rejet.

KAWSAM62
02-11-2003, 07:57 PM
uni, keep the jets to begin with, run a water proof outerwares in dusty cond. good luck:cool:

Butters
02-11-2003, 08:16 PM
yeah from what i heard it would be better to switch to a foam filter. i don't know exactly if uni is the best but i have heard really good things about it. i think twin air and sparks are also great filters.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-11-2003, 11:16 PM
I switched over to a Uni :macho

02-12-2003, 12:39 AM
Well since I have never had any obvious problems with filtering or dirt getting past the filter etc I still prefer the extra flow of the K&N.

I have recently purchased a uni and am yet to install it (I am waiting for the temps to be a little higher and more stable and have the jetting set better so I can see what a diff it does make on flow) but I got it cause I have heard that it will allow water to run through it as opposed to how water just clogs the K&N guse element. Yes I dont run a air box lid but do have a water resistant outer wares etc.

Anyone know more on the water stuff?

Evan
02-12-2003, 01:40 AM
Ive ran both and both have there ups and downs. If I were to run a K&n again I would only run it with a foam outerwear from someone like sparks. SParks run K&n filters with foam outerwear soaked in foam oil seems to be a good combo. Or just run the uni with the same effect yet a little harder to clean because u wouldnt be able to just ball it up and squeeze all the dirt out like a foam outerwear. Those little water resistant outerwears are junk, Ive ran them and they tear in less than 5 cleanings leaving holes in them. Yea they will keep a lil splash of water away but water will still go through them. I wouldnt worry about rejetting, to little to notice a difference.

oynot400
02-12-2003, 08:21 AM
There has been alot of debate on K&N vs UNI. I have ran a K&N for nearly 3 years with no problems. The thing with a K&N you need to clean it regularly. More when it is dusty, dry out. I know guys that put in a K&N and never looked at again until they started using oil or it started smoking. Then they say that K&N filters are junk. :rolleyes: I recently bought a UNI for a spare. I don't have much ride time on it so I can't say which is better. Either way maintaince is key.

Pappy
02-12-2003, 08:34 AM
i used to be a staunch k&n suppoter..and they do work great!!! but after working with uni for the past 4 months....im switching. ive seen the uni covered in mud.....soaked....dirty as all get out...with zero loss in performance and when the outer foam was removed the inner filter was clean as the day it was new.

if the uni sacrifices a touch in flow...it is worth it to me...JMO

02-12-2003, 09:20 AM
i am running twin air but i might pick up a uni to to try it out

Sparks425Ex
02-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
I switched over to a Uni :macho

Ditto

02-12-2003, 10:02 AM
i am running twin air but i might pick up a uni to to try it out

I had a talk with one of the GNCC Pro Prod racers and he recomended the Twin Air over everything.

I am not sure what the diff is between the Twin Air and the Uni though, but maybe some could clear that up.

The one thing that has come up about the K&N when I have talked to the XC guys is the water clogging the gauze, and that seems to be the major issue.

forum
02-12-2003, 12:22 PM
what about on the MX track.

Evan
02-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Ive got a twin air on my R and like it too. The pores seem a lil smaller than on the Uni and it does a great job of filtering. Its small and easy to clean. One complaint is the foam doesnt seem to hold up as good to cleaning as a UNI, the foam is flaking a lil, not much but some.

Steve-o 400EX
02-12-2003, 03:46 PM
I reccomend sparks, I got one and love it. Its easy to maintain and you won't have to rejet. were you running the K&N with an outerwear.

HiperEX
02-14-2003, 06:08 PM
yes right now im running a kn and outerwear with removed air box lid so would i still need to rejet ?

02-14-2003, 07:06 PM
do u have a pic of the sparks filter?

2fastandfurious
02-15-2003, 08:25 AM
K and N is better, Duh it lets more air in. Um same with pipes, they let more air out. If you rebuild ever couple of years anyway you will only see the effects on a K and N on a older bike that has had the K and N nor SEVERAL years. I have one on my car also. I like them a lot.

ESR250R
02-15-2003, 08:53 AM
i have a twinair and a k and n for my 250r and i can tell a big difference when i switch between the 2. if i am riding someplaces like the badlands i will bring both though. the twinair to riding throught the rocks and the k and n for when i hit the dragstrip and embarass a few banshees. :devil

blood red
02-15-2003, 10:08 AM
You can't feel any more power when riding. But I trust the K&N more. Just personal preference.

ESR250R
02-15-2003, 10:09 AM
maybe not on a 400ex but on my R i can tell a pretty big difference. escepially once i got it ported.

nakomis0
02-15-2003, 11:04 AM
I just like the ease of the K&N. Its easy to clean and easy to oil.

When I had a Uni it seemed alot harder to clean, and oiling it seemed slightly messy'er too.

I also didn't like how every piece of dirt/dust or whatever would stick to the Uni and I had to clean it ALOT. Especially with how dusty it can get when you ride with a few people.

I never used an outterware on a uni... didn't know they even made em actually but still the thing is sticky as heck and all messy. I perfer the K&n, by far.

stevengates45
02-15-2003, 12:14 PM
I would never switch to UNI over K&N but thats just my personal opinion.

02-15-2003, 01:01 PM
i to recently switched to a uni

02-15-2003, 01:02 PM
:cool:

02-15-2003, 01:32 PM
i did, i liked the uni better