PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in?

Red_250EX_Rider
12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Well yesterday santa came ;) and i moved up to a 08 400ex. Just wondering if this sucker is broke in from factory or do i need too? i ran it kinda hard nothing but about half revved 5th gear. Thanks in advanced.

CarGuy7a
12-26-2010, 08:00 PM
No they are not broken in from factory. Mine would not hardly even run when I bought it brand new. I had to crank the idle up pretty high for it to not stall out.

This is how I broke mine in. I started it up and idled it up enough to where it would run by itself without stalling. I let it sit and idle until the RPM's climbed up by itself and the motor smoothed out. When it smoothed out I lowered the idle RPM back down to a normal idle. After that I got on it and rode it sort of easy varying the RPM's for the first couple of rides and then after that I rode it how I was going to ride it.

I've broke in many small engines with this method and we've yet to have a failure.

When breaking in the piston rings to the cylinder it's best to get it broke in fast. It leaves less scarring on the piston skirts and cylinder walls.

There was a write up somewhere on here that compared the Honda recommended 30 hour break in compared to just getting on the quad and riding it like you normally would. The ending result being the "get on it and ride it normally" method was the best.

Plus I figured also mine had a 6 month warranty on it so if it was going to break it would break now when it's new. I'm still riding my quad hard and nothing bad has happened.

CJM
12-26-2010, 08:13 PM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This is what I do and several others here use the same methods as well.

Basically ride it like you stole it.

Red_250EX_Rider
12-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Alright seems like iv been doing it right. But it started up first crank after sitting in a garage since black friday. I did the same with the 250ex and had no problem with it since i bought it in 07

honda400ex2003
12-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by CJM

x2 on what marc said. i use the same method. I do it around 5 times though or till i like how it feels. you can feel when it is fully broke in. steve

99400esex
12-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Awesome reference man lol

CJM
12-26-2010, 09:16 PM
^ Isnt it? I mean I cant even explain it as well as he can.

Really tho, its how I break in all my stuff and no issues.

CarGuy7a
12-26-2010, 11:41 PM
That's the write up I remember reading.

TheDocs400ex
12-29-2010, 09:26 AM
What does he mean by "warm the engine up completely"? Is this before you start breaking it in or make sure to warm it up completely before you stop breaking it in?

CJM
12-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by TheDocs400ex
What does he mean by "warm the engine up completely"? Is this before you start breaking it in or make sure to warm it up completely before you stop breaking it in?

Let it sit and idle till it reaches operating temp-then break it in.

TheDocs400ex
12-29-2010, 10:51 AM
If I'm installing a stage 2 hot cam, will letting it idle to warm up cause any problems?

CJM
12-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by TheDocs400ex
If I'm installing a stage 2 hot cam, will letting it idle to warm up cause any problems?

Nope. I would make sure you use some engine assembly lube on all contact points on the cam tho.