PDA

View Full Version : First ride on the new KTM 525xc

IdahoMX
12-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Well after about 4 weeks the weather finally broke and I got to take the KTM out. It had a little bog but I figured jetting was off so we took of for it maiden voyage... About 15 miles in it started dying off then would pick back up. At about 18 miles it shut down completely and would start but not go. I had a friend on a dirt bike tow me back the last 4 miles to the truck. Took out the pilot jet and it was clean. Pulled the main and it was still secure. Took it home and pulled the carb but nothing was found. Put it back together and it will run good for a minute or two then die off. On the positive side the suspension was better then expected and hadled really well. I have had more then a few quads to compare it to. Turning wasnt on par with the ltr but I am sure with a few adjustments I can make it work. Here are some pics

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/Idaho_mx/DSCI0777.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/Idaho_mx/DSCI0778.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/Idaho_mx/DSCI0779.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/Idaho_mx/DSCI0780.jpg

DragonGunner
12-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Nice....its sounds like the float bowl is sticking....like its not getting enough gas...after a couple min. whats in the float bowl has been used an then it its not getting enough fuel to keep up....wouldn't think to be on a new quad though. I don't know if on these carbs you can adjust the float level or not?

You didn't leave the choke on did you? Seen this a few times.

IdahoMX
12-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Its had afuel filter inline since day1, Opened the bowl screw becouse I thought the same thing and planty of gas pooring out. Pulled the carb and cleaned it with the same result. Warmed up a little and then would die again. Contacted the selling dealer and they said they may or may not cover it , they would have to submit it and see.

OutlawBill
12-27-2010, 03:05 PM
may not be carb but switch on thumb throttle shorting out

DragonGunner
12-27-2010, 04:18 PM
If it was me, I would then take the filter off an run it without it...bad filter?

IdahoMX
12-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I pulled the first filter off already and installed a second. I always do that to new quads becouse of tank castings plugging up the pilot. My dad had a new kodiak that had to get towed out due to this. Its a weird deal, I am going to put the carb back to stock and take it out for a trial run, Problem is the weather is supposed to turn to crap again!

DragonGunner
12-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by IdahoMX
I pulled the first filter off already and installed a second. I always do that to new quads becouse of tank castings plugging up the pilot. My dad had a new kodiak that had to get towed out due to this. Its a weird deal, I am going to put the carb back to stock and take it out for a trial run, Problem is the weather is supposed to turn to crap again!

"..put the carb back to stock.." I didn't realize you had done something to the carb before running....re jet?? I've read on the dirtbikes that they seemed to come from the factory on too much of the lean side...let us know how its going next trip!

krt400ex
01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
the xc's come lean also. i had to up my main to a 172 and adjust the needle clip. i think that my accelerator pump needs to be adjusted because i cant seem to iron out the little bobble off the bottom and i just wonder if the acceleratr pump is dumping too much fuel into the engine when i stab the throttle

IdahoMX
01-19-2011, 06:03 PM
I have had 2 morre trips out. second trip with carb back to stock no problems. Third trip, Shifter came loose, My fault, I didnt lock tight the bolt when I moved the shifter. I think it didnt like my carb settings. On the ktm forum they say they are to fat from the factory. Fastranchero taper bores them out to a 41 and adds a leak jet and a honda hrc needle jetted to a 155 main. Adds a couple hp. He came up with these mods on a dyno with a A/F meter and from everybody that I have talked to says it really wakes them up. Riding again this weekend if weather permits