PDA

View Full Version : Building TRX from scratch??

racerx573
12-26-2010, 02:21 PM
So has anyone built a TRX from scratch??

I see parts on ebay and in the forums dirt cheap, so I figured someone must have done this?

Reason I ask, is I am gonna be building up a Honda here soon, and I've already got these parts.

SF Hood
Pro Pegs
Pro Trax Front End
Savior Rear End
Axis F/R Shocks
RPM DII Axle
Bars
Beadlocks/Tires

I'd like to find a nice low hour used '05 TRX for around $2000-$2500.

I wouldn't need much to get it on the track.

I am so used to building bikes from scratch, and I see nice gussetted frames for good prices and built up motors for cheap as well.

My goal is to build a competitive bike for under $7000. If I can get a good stock bike for $2500, I'll have a lot to work with.

I am over the $15-$20K builds I did in the past. If you're familiar with me you know my old bikes..

fastredrider44
12-26-2010, 06:02 PM
It can be built from scratch, I've done it, but I generally prefer to find a virgin bike and build it instead. I just picked up an 05 with paint on the frame and tires for 2300. Be patient, there's deals to be had.:devil:

dran714
12-26-2010, 09:36 PM
yeah i picked up a roller for 700 and bought a motor totally went thru it and put lots of other goodies i have like 4 grand in it now.. im like you lose your *** on a stock new one from the dealer then drop another 10 grand into it.. forget that!

hrc450er
12-27-2010, 09:35 AM
i dont see why people dump 15+ in a bike and race it for a year or two then sell it for like 5 then buy another bike and do the same thing again. just seems like an awful lot of wasted money, why not just refresh the same one. or buy an identical stock bike swap parts over and sell the rest

racerx573
12-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by hrc450er
i dont see why people dump 15+ in a bike and race it for a year or two then sell it for like 5 then buy another bike and do the same thing again. just seems like an awful lot of wasted money, why not just refresh the same one. or buy an identical stock bike swap parts over and sell the rest

Agreed.

Not much changes, and it's nice to have new stuff, but unless you're a top A, Pro-Am, or Pro there's no way you're ragging on a bike that bad.

Once I built up my Laeger bikes, I would get the frames powdered, new bearings, go through the motors, etc every winter. MAYBE new plastic or graphics.

My plan was to keep a lookout and maybe eventually buy 2 extra low hour stock '05s for parts or to tool around on. Then strip the one race bike and swap all the parts over.

fmfhonda250r
12-27-2010, 04:25 PM
A local site had a 04 online about 1 1/2 years ago with everything but a motor plastics and wheels and picked it up for 300 bucks and i built it from there and its a full blown mx quad long travel and built motor and i didn't spend that much to get it to where it's at. Look around there have been 04/05's around here for 1000 or less blown up.