PDA

View Full Version : College post 2 years ago Status update

cool 300ex
12-26-2010, 12:14 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=331541&highlight=college

I made this post almost 2 year's ago about college. I was just wondering how every one made out. As for me i waited a year did 1 semester at a big college for my gen ed's, with intentions of going for a X-ray tech or Physical therapist assistant. Then i lefted because it was way to expensive. I tried to go to a community college and could only get 2 classes scheduled in and then i just said the heck with it.

I am currently working at the same car dealer ship i have been there almost 3 year's. I worked my way up to taking pictures of the car's, making up warranty stick's & buyer guides, putting prices on, doing inventory, putting pictures on the internet along with managing the website a little. I like it a lot, it's nice to have my own building/office, all the overtime i want and not have a boss breathing down my back. Only problem is the pay isn't there.

I also picked up a second job at UPS loading and unloading truck's part time at night. It's not to bad the pay is low and you got to bust your *** a little. You can progress in this job to become a driver, but i hear it take's forever like 6 + years. So any ways i am still not happy. My next option was possibly going to the coal mine's. Now that idea is shot because i messed my knee up good Toren MCL, ACL, and meniscus. So i don't think it can take the abuse of kneeling all day working my *** off.

So now it's back to the drawing board. I have this goal set that i am going to open my own Auto Detailing shop because i use to do that stuff back in high school. I know if i got this going it could do alright but i am still looking out for later on in life and want to go back to college. So i am thinking about going back to college for X-ray tech, physical therapist assistant, Business management, or maybe some other fields i find out about.

chucked
12-26-2010, 05:58 AM
I still dont know what to think of college. You need to be rich to go to it. You have to devote all of your time to it in order to do well. I got about 100 credits and stopped going, I plan to go back, but no time soon. I still make more money then about 80% of the people that I went to high school with. And, I don't think more then half a dozen make more money than me because of their college education. A few own businesses or run their family business now.

rpfeifer11
12-26-2010, 06:39 AM
It's really not as expensive as most people say, I go to a local branch of Pitt and it is like 6000 a semester. that is roughly 50000 at the end. Community college is much cheaper. I am just going so I can move up in the construction company I work for though.

250r rider 88
12-26-2010, 07:36 AM
i started an A.S. degree in Industrial Drafting and Design in august 2009 and will be graduating in may and should be pulling in close to 40k a year starting out, and if i work for a company who pays for continued education im going to get my MET degree, my A.S. degree will have cost me 15k in the end, thats living 20 minutes away from school with roommates renting from my mom, not too bad

chucked
12-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by rpfeifer11
It's really not as expensive as most people say, I go to a local branch of Pitt and it is like 6000 a semester. that is roughly 50000 at the end. Community college is much cheaper. I am just going so I can move up in the construction company I work for though.

You're so rich you forgot that most people dont have $50,000 to spare

honda250xrider
12-26-2010, 07:58 AM
If you plan college right it can be very affordable. There are many grants, loans, and scholarships out there.

I think the average debt is now 20,000 for a bachelors degree. If you fill out a fasfa i believe the up and coming year will be a reduced 3.5% loan which is low.

Currently I am back in school and working on my MBA.

250r rider 88
12-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by chucked

lets not make this a pissing contest over who is rich and isn't, college can be affordable as stated above. it can also be expensive as hell

most doctors are 75-125k in debt when they start the residency, think how long it takes to get those loans payed off, if takes most people 10 to 15 years to pay off A.S and B.S. degrees, and everyone thinks doctors are rich

he may not be rich, just wants and quality education and its expensive and he will pay for it, no need to call him rich if you dont know if he is:rolleyes:

Sjorge450R
12-26-2010, 09:03 AM

its called scholarships, grants, financial aid, and student loans. I for one am paying for everything myself and I have about $45000 in loans right now with three semesters to go.

Well for me. I never majored in anything business related, went directly into Secondary Math Ed. I finally start teaching next semester and I cannot wait. I definitely made the right decision and I cannot wait to graduate. I will be going back for a 9th semester, but oh well, I love college, so an extra semester is only going to hurt the wallet, not my moral. I couldn't have asked to fall into a better group of friends at school too. Never been closer to anyone then the guys I know. Plus, living on my own in Philadelphia has been a huge step in separating myself from my parents. I love it and cannot wait until I graduate.

rpfeifer11
12-26-2010, 09:07 AM

You're so uneducated you forgot that there are so many ways to pay for college that don't involve having the money saved up and just throwing it out when the bill comes.

Rich250RRacer
12-26-2010, 09:42 AM
I just finished my first semester back after a 14 year break. The feeling of being able to do something to improve your life is extremely rewarding. I was half way though my junior year when I quit, mainly because I was burned out and still really wasn't sure what I wanted my major to be. Now I'm signed up as pre-business, which I really enjoy, and will decide on the specific degree soon. I'm leaning towards marketing. I believe now that unless you have major connections to give you a job you don't deserve, been left a huge inheritence, or have a family who gives your lazy ***** everything you want, you are not going to find stable, viable opportunities in this economy that let you live the way you want to without higher education.

I-7
12-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I went to a state college in New York for two years putting myself around 20K in the hole. My major was sociology and was looking into the Criminal Justice field. After four semesters and somehow squeezing out a 3.3 GPA I realized that I wasted the last two years of my life learning how to drink a lot of alcohol and chase girls. I saw numerous people graduate from college with a bachelors degree and end up going back home and working dead end jobs making at most $15 an hour paying off all of their loans. The number one thing I learned is that getting a good job is mostly about who you know.. and who you ....... yeah.

I just wanted to get out and do something with my life already. I kept tossing the idea of the military to my family and friends. They all told me it was a horrible idea, to just finish college and find a job. I spoke to a Coast Guard recruiter, enlisted about a month later, and shipped out to bootcamp at what would be the start of my 3rd year in college. I have now been in for a little more than a year, been able to travel all over the United States and hopefully soon overseas, met TONS and TONS of people from all over the world, and have experienced some pretty amazing things....crazy *** rescues, federal law enforcement, humanitarian aid, etc. I don't make much money at all but I wake up every morning and drive to work with a huge smile on my face because I love what I do. And if I later decide to finish school... the CG will pay for it, or if I get married and have kids, I can use my GI Bill for them.

Now I'm not saying that if you drop out of college and join the military that you are set, I consider myself very lucky, but what I'm saying is that you need to find something you like to do, something that makes you happy. You don't need a college education to ensure success. It's all about networking and effort. You need to expand your horizons and figure out what makes you happy. Just remember, money does not buy happiness and a degree does not buy success.

liex21
12-26-2010, 10:30 AM
college is def. pricey but there is very good alternatives such as community college. I am finishing my second year at my local community college and I am only paying 3,000 a semester thats including all my classes and books give or take depending on the books. Also there are so many grants and etc you can get and yes you will equire some dept but look at it as a investment in yourself. It all adds up to who can be the most resourceful in the workplace and college simply increases your chances at any profession.

cool 300ex
12-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow this thread seems like somewhat of a success 10 reply's over night.

Now I'm not saying that if you drop out of college and join the military that you are set, I consider myself very lucky, but what I'm saying is that you need to find something you like to do, something that makes you happy. You don't need a college education to ensure success. It's all about networking and effort. You need to expand your horizons and figure out what makes you happy. Just remember, money does not buy happiness and a degree does not buy success.

That's very true! Money isn't everything, but in this economy you need something that pays decent if you want to survive. I wish when i was back in high school i would have took the AYES course and got certified. Even if i didn't like it i could have always quit, but i would still have that experience under my belt. When i was in High School i did some job shadowing and had a few dealership's that wanted me to come work for them just because of my attitude, they told me we can train you and make a mechanic out of you, but we can't change a person's attitude as easy.

I come to realize it pay's to be a jack of all trade's. The more experience you have under your belt the better off you are. When one job come's to an end if you know other skill's you always have a backup. It seems like the longer you wait to go back to college the harder it get's. I wish i would have went right after high school and i could be finishing up an Associate degree right now.

I am very lucky i still live with my parents right now and can afford to have some stuff, because if i was out on my own there's no way i could afford all the stuff i have now. I know this gravy train of living at home isn't going to last forever. So i want to get an education now before i move out on my own.

CJM
12-26-2010, 10:50 AM
It works like this:

When you finally do go out and get a job they look at you and unless your older and more experienced in the field the jobs in they dont want you without the degree. There are special cases of course and times you luck out and without anything they take a gamble on you-but these days have a degree is like having your HS diploma.

Sure you can find good jobs without a degree, but not always. My cousin is a mason/landscaper, he was working for barely 40k/yr busting his hump 6 days a week while the boss had brand new sports cars. He doesnt have a degree. He finally gained enough experience after 10+ years doing this type of work to find a job as a supervisor for a larger company and then another job as a super at another company. IT doesnt come without problems tho-he works 60/hrs a week, if it snows he MUST (like today) be out plowing and he gets paid no extra for it and he must work till it is all cleared and stops snowing. Hes making 65k a year busting his hump tho.

Without a degree its quite hard to find a good paying job, now in this depression its even worse-but in general without that paper they throw out your resume.

Since Im 16 I have been a mechanic, im2 5 now and the field is utter crap. Working for a dealer is plain bad in most cases, your not valued and just another worker, you get paid ok but depend on your service writer upselling large or $$$ jobs you get a cut of-its bs. Working at a private shop is better in a sense your valued and pay is ok for what you do but overall its a very labor intensive and hard job these days. I went to HS vocational tech for it for 2 years, and then on the job training and it just aint worth it these days. Even if you own your own shop your not gonna be rich.

I also have been going to college for close to 6 years now, but mostly part time. I was working 40/hrs or more a week and pulling a 3.0 gpa. I went to community college and got loans and grants. I then got my AA degree and tried to find a real job, most laughed at me or wanted me to be a mailroom clerk for less than I was making being a mechanic. So I said F it and after a year decided to go to university. I got everything setup to where Im only going to owe like 25k when Im done and you can take 10 years to pay it for, everything else is grants and scholarships I applied for and got (rather easy actually and they pay off IF your parents no longer claim you and in my case I purposely filed a 1099 self employment form not a W2-you get more money and less taxes taken out).

Ive been back for a good year and a half now and yes its tough, yea it sucks I can hardly work cause of the schedule. But when Im done Ill have a degree in criminal justice and a good job very soon after thanks to the job placement I can get thru the college and connections I made.

Without a degree these days its tough, it can be done but its tough. Whatever you choose, its your call-but as the days go by most want you to have that degree for even stupid menial jobs. If you hope to advance anywhere its needed in some cases, otherwise you can advance but expect to work your hump bad till you get there.

That or be like my buddy who works 1 job on the books and demands cash on everything else and keeps every cent. Course he works 90+ hrs a week..

Pappy
12-26-2010, 10:53 AM
It is tough, we are working with Cody now on what to do for college. The money isnt an issue really, the federal grants and student loans handle most of teh big stuff but the real tough stuff is what he should study for. The conomy has changed the marketplace and will for the foreseeable future. The counselors seem to be as clueless as us parents!

I suspect his first 2 years will be at a local college getting the mandatory stuff under his belt, then he can set his sights on his major. We are pretty sure he can get a job when he turns 18 with the Dept. of Justice here in town that will pay him well and offer hours that will be flexible for school.

If someone has the answer to all this feel free to unleash it LOL!

Two of his close friends are already slated to join the military when they graduate high school. I dont think Cody will join but it is an option. I love my country, love our military, but when graduating seniors feel it is their only choice, that spells alot of trouble to me about the current state of things.

wilkin250r
12-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
If someone has the answer to all this feel free to unleash it LOL!

Cody has time. Sure, there are benefits to a clear direction in life, but 75% of all college students change their major. So what's the difference between going in with a direction and changing it, or going in with no direction and finding it?

I tell people all the time. ANY degree, ANY direction will require the same basic courses, English 101, Math, Social Science, and the so forth. So if you don't know a direction, start there. Get those classes out of the way, and while you're in the education system, you'll find a direction to go because you'll be exposed to so many diffent avenues, and you'll learn what it takes to get there.

ZeroLogic
12-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
its called scholarships, grants, financial aid, and student loans. I for one am paying for everything myself and I have about $45000 in loans right now with three semesters to go.

Well for me. I never majored in anything business related, went directly into Secondary Math Ed. I finally start teaching next semester and I cannot wait. I definitely made the right decision and I cannot wait to graduate. I will be going back for a 9th semester, but oh well, I love college, so an extra semester is only going to hurt the wallet, not my moral. I couldn't have asked to fall into a better group of friends at school too. Never been closer to anyone then the guys I know. Plus, living on my own in Philadelphia has been a huge step in separating myself from my parents. I love it and cannot wait until I graduate.

I got a few friends that go to Temple. The love it there. :macho

bens250ex
12-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I love my country, love our military, but when graduating seniors feel it is their only choice, that spells alot of trouble to me about the current state of things.

True that, i almost feel it is done as a easy way out. I do understand school may not be for everyone but school can be affordable. I went to a community college for 2 years...didn't pay anything since i got grants and such. I am now at a university got about 3 semesters left and i graduate with my BS industrial tech degree.

wilkin250r
12-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Anybody that doesn't go to college simply because "it's too expensive" is an absolute idiot. Not only are there many programs to help you pay, but there's also a plethora of affordable options like community college and trade schools.

It would take me longer, yes, but I could get a degree with the money you spend on your cell phone bill every month.

chucked
12-27-2010, 07:01 AM
I got all my credits from UMBC. I paid for about $10,000 of it myself, and financed the other $10,000. Some people don't want to go into debt for $50,000.

99400esex
12-27-2010, 07:33 AM

Do you go to UPG?

rpfeifer11
12-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by 99400esex
Do you go to UPG?

Yes sir.

99400esex
12-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Nice school, I was thinking about going there, Ill probably end up at penn state new ken though.

rpfeifer11
12-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Yeah that's a little more local for you since you are in blairsville right? So far I really like pitt. Actually from all of the colleges I visited and got accepted too I never even went to UPG to tour and went there after I got accepted and like it the best out of the schools I went to visit. I only went to UPJ and PSU Fayette to visit though.

99400esex
12-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Nahhh Im from murrysville man, so penn ken is real local for me, but yeah upg is a nice school, my chick went there a few years ago so I got a little tour of the place. Have you ever been to pitt main in oakland, place is huge! My sister goes there

rpfeifer11
12-27-2010, 08:05 AM
I get those 2 mixed up all of the time but yeah Pitt main is too big for me. Plus I am not a city person at all. I love staying at home and working and going to school. It's actually fun.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
12-27-2010, 08:18 AM
I went for a semester and said nope. I personally think it's the biggest scam out there. Waste of money if you ask me. I'm making money now, and in 3 more years I'll either be combo or driver at UPS making 60k+ a year without overtime.

99400esex
12-27-2010, 08:32 AM
I get those 2 mixed up all of the time but yeah Pitt main is too big for me. Plus I am not a city person at all. I love staying at home and working and going to school. It's actually fun.

yeah same with me, I would go crazy if I had to deal with that craziness every day, my sis hates it

honda450sl
12-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Look for a college in which you are a minority - I got a minority scholarship and paid about $1000 total for a Bachelor's degree in Accounting. Contrary to others, I feel it was completely worth my time from an income standpoint and a quality of life standpoint. Just depends on what you want to do with your life. Also, I don't recommend the "on-line" universities. In my experience, many employers don't regard those very highly.

CJM
12-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
I went for a semester and said nope. I personally think it's the biggest scam out there. Waste of money if you ask me. I'm making money now, and in 3 more years I'll either be combo or driver at UPS making 60k+ a year without overtime.

This is all well and good except if you get injured and cant drive, lose your license, get into an accident or such. Also while your sweating your arse off delivering packages others get to stay inside in AC. I tried UPS, loading the packages was the single worst job I ever held and Ive worked at a butcher shop cutting up sides of beef and chicken and junk and found it better lol.

Dont get me wrong, its a good job but dont count on it to always be there. If you lose it finding another one that pays that well will be tough.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
12-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by CJM
This is all well and good except if you get injured and cant drive, lose your license, get into an accident or such. Also while your sweating your arse off delivering packages others get to stay inside in AC. I tried UPS, loading the packages was the single worst job I ever held and Ive worked at a butcher shop cutting up sides of beef and chicken and junk and found it better lol.

Dont get me wrong, its a good job but dont count on it to always be there. If you lose it finding another one that pays that well will be tough.

I personally like working at UPS. I can't stand being a desk jockey, I'd prefer to stay active in what I do. As far as the getting hurt thing, they have some of the best insurance around. When I tore my ACL and Minuscus they paid for everything and I got disability pay for the 3 months I was out as well.

I'll pass on the college degree'd desk jockey.

wilkin250r
12-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Ok, you found something that works for you. Great. But what about the thousands upon thousands of people that DON'T work for UPS, or don't want to?

And you say you don't want to be a desk jockey, but you're okay being a wheel jockey? Spending 5 of every 8 hours a day behind the wheel of a truck isn't exactly what I would describe as "I'd prefer to stay active in what I do."

I'm not knocking UPS, and I'm not trying to belittle you. But you're insulting the entire higher education system by calling it a scam, simply because you found something else that you prefer. Not everybody wants to drive a truck, or lift packages.

You didn't jump into UPS and start driving, making $60k. You had to break your back, you had to work hard and climb the ladder. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes years (as you well know). So what's the big difference between putting in your time at UPS, breaking your back, but coming out on top a few years later, or spending that time in the classroom and coming out a few years later, making the same money?

motochamp250
12-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You didn't jump into UPS and start driving, making $60k. You had to break your back, you had to work hard and climb the ladder. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes years (as you well know). So what's the big difference between putting in your time at UPS, breaking your back, but coming out on top a few years later, or spending that time in the classroom and coming out a few years later, making the same money?

Just for sake of argument:

the big difference you could make is: I would much rather "break my back" and work up the ladder EARNING MONEY for four years, than acquire debt for four years to, in your words, make the same money. just an argument. I'm not for or against college. Yes, you would probably make more money as a college grad. but there is also a statistic somewhere, and i don't remember the number, but some odd percentage of people don't even use or go into the field that their degree is in. If i wasn't in the position I am in I probably would have went. school just doesn't work for some people and it does for others. its all about what that person wants to do.

just my .02

hunter

edit: and i can attest that school is "breaking your back" as well. all my buddies have zero time to do anything b/c they are all busy with school so I'm not saying that road is easy just an argument i had b/c i don't know of anyone around me who paid for school. sure, there are grants and scholarships but you still get into debt. Like i said, it is just one of the many career choices someone has to make. I guess it just irritates me (not saying any of ya'll did) when people say you cant make it without a college education and its just not true. it def. helps in times like these, but isn't mandatory by any means.

hunter

sexysilverado45
12-28-2010, 09:33 AM
I personally like working at UPS. I can't stand being a desk jockey, I'd prefer to stay active in what I do. As far as the getting hurt thing, they have some of the best insurance around. When I tore my ACL and Minuscus they paid for everything and I got disability pay for the 3 months I was out as well.

I'm not sure were you live put you aren't going to be making 60k a year driving a ups truck after three years my dads been doing it for 25 years and he's only making 70-75 it takes about 10 years to get to 60. Anything they tell you at that company is the complete opposite.

Iv thought about this career path because I could easily do it since I already work there and know most of our buildings driver sups. But do I really want to continue busting my *** for a company like UPS iv already done my fair share that's why I'm going to college for agriculture business degree. And really you don't have to be rich with all the financial aid there is. Another thing is the interest rates are low as hell on the loans.

MX MaNiAc 06
12-28-2010, 05:48 PM
To the original post in this thread:

I am 4 weeks of class and an internship away from being a graduated physical therapist assistant. I did a clinical earlier this year and realized that i am going to love being a PTA. Its really rewarding to walk out the door at the end of the day knowing you have people getting better and working towards their goals every day because of YOU.

I have a good friend who is an x-ray tech and he enjoys his job as well. But he works really strange hours sometimes and well over 40 hours a week. One night we were hanging out having beers and he got a phone call that he had to be at work in 3 hours. He had no choice in the matter either? haha

Where i think you'll be at an advantage is having time off from school. This major is demanding and pretty stressful. I am so close to being done but i cant help it.. im getting burnt out and my grades arent as good as they should be. I've worked all throughout school and the combination of the two is starting to drive me nuts. I'm starting to wish i had done an alternate route for a couple more years and got into this major when i was 22-23 and more mature.

Ralph
12-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I got my BS in mechanical engineering and had a job lined up right out of school. I moved from New Jersey to Texas and fully support myself.

As for my job, I could not ask for anything more at this time. Work hard and make good decisions and it will pay off.

cool 300ex
12-28-2010, 09:22 PM

I will say that they do have good Insurance so i have heard from everyone else i work with. I don't have my year in so i still have an Insurance that i pay for out of pocket and it's keeping the bills coming from my ACL and Meniscus repair. I think working at UPS had something to do with this injury and then i just finished it off.

Ok, you found something that works for you. Great. But what about the thousands upon thousands of people that DON'T work for UPS, or don't want to? And you say you don't want to be a desk jockey, but you're okay being a wheel jockey? Spending 5 of every 8 hours a day behind the wheel of a truck isn't exactly what I would describe as "I'd prefer to stay active in what I do." I'm not knocking UPS, and I'm not trying to belittle you. But you're insulting the entire higher education system by calling it a scam, simply because you found something else that you prefer. Not everybody wants to drive a truck, or lift packages. You didn't jump into UPS and start driving, making $60k. You had to break your back, you had to work hard and climb the ladder. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes years (as you well know). So what's the big difference between putting in your time at UPS, breaking your back, but coming out on top a few years later, or spending that time in the classroom and coming out a few years later, making the same money?

That's my biggest thing with UPS is the wait and do i really want to do this for the rest of my life. It suck's so bad just starting off and being on call. Making a ****ty $150 or so a week busting your ***. Don't get me wrong yeah the work is hard, but i don't really mind it i like having the challenge. I wouldn't mind the job as much if i made more money at it. This kind of money isn't enough so i have no choice but to work my full time job with this one. Then after maybe 5-7 years and all the BS i might have a shot at being a driver. Oh well once i heal up and go back to work and see how my knee hold's up to this work, will decide how far my Career goes with them.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC how is your knee treating you loading and unloading package's? I also heard the 60K a year story i don't know how true it is.

Time will tell but i do want to go back to college. When i do i will have to decide which job to give up.

To the original post in this thread: I am 4 weeks of class and an internship away from being a graduated physical therapist assistant. I did a clinical earlier this year and realized that i am going to love being a PTA. Its really rewarding to walk out the door at the end of the day knowing you have people getting better and working towards their goals every day because of YOU. I have a good friend who is an x-ray tech and he enjoys his job as well. But he works really strange hours sometimes and well over 40 hours a week. One night we were hanging out having beers and he got a phone call that he had to be at work in 3 hours. He had no choice in the matter either? haha Where i think you'll be at an advantage is having time off from school. This major is demanding and pretty stressful. I am so close to being done but i cant help it.. im getting burnt out and my grades arent as good as they should be. I've worked all throughout school and the combination of the two is starting to drive me nuts. I'm starting to wish i had done an alternate route for a couple more years and got into this major when i was 22-23 and more mature.

What college are you going to? I am really considering Physical Therapist Assistant. I have been watching them closely at my Therapy session for my knee. They really have it easy! Don't get me wrong they have stuff they have to put up with and they definitely need to know what they are doing. But for the most part it seems like a good overall job. If did this i would want to work at a out patient place rather than a nursing home because that's really boring at least to me.

CJM
12-29-2010, 01:09 AM
The thing is if you were to get a job lets say for UPS and like I said for whatever reason you can no longer work there or get fired.

You have ZERO training doing anything else. Maybe you can get a job at another package company-but what if you want.

These days having a degree means you can secure a job most anywhere. It shows the prospective employer your willing to work hard for them cause you worked hard and earned a degree. My moms best friends husband is a VP at a major watch manufacturer. he gets resumes sent all the time, he deletes the emails or throws them out of they dont have at least a 4 year degree for a sales job!

My dad is a perfect example:
-He worked since he was 13 in the food service industry. Started off
working for the town doing some kinda cook/prep deal cause the town had a year round dining hall thing.

-He did it till he was 17 and was paid ok for the time (were talking 60/70's).
-He moved onto becoming a waiter at various restaurants. Thats a good paying job but you have HORRIBLE hours. he also went to school and found staying there not for him so he transferred to the local CC.

-Became a restaurant manager, more responsibility and bs for maybe a mediocre pay raise.

-Felt college was not going anywhere and dropped out like 40 creds shy of a BS degree.

-He met my mom, she made more money than him as a medical claims biller for an insurance company. Sadly that jobs gone these days.

-Dont forget this is the 70s/80s where not having a degree was ok and not as common. If you showed promise and did ok training they let you stay.

-Dad wound up selling office equipment, mom still made more cash cause a sales job is commission based.

-He cant sell office crap, it doesnt pay the bills. Gets a job as an entry level salesmen for a foodservice distributor. The guy takes a gamble on him as my dad says he is gonna go back to school. He also promises to work 1 day a week busting his hump (saturdays) in the warehouse for some extra pay and job security.

-Dad finishes his degree in 2.5 years doing night school, working 50 hours a week and raising a family.

-He is a success in sales, Im not sure why but he can sell ANYTHING to anyone. He could sell ice to eskimos and sand to arabs with ease. Perhaps its his people personality.

-He works 40-50 hours on the road/at his desk and another 20 or so at home everyweek. He does his own paperwork and gets my mom to help as its alot. He makes decent wages but nothing to great. The reason he is so successful as a salesmen is learned-he will go out of his way no matter what to make a customer happy. If they need 40 pounds of shrimp and if he can get it from the warehouse he will personally deliver it on a sunday at 6pm.

He once explained to me why college is the way to go these days especially. There are tons of other people vying for the job you want. The lesser qualified applicants generally get weeded out before anything else, then the 2 year degrees, then finally the 4 year degrees. if you have tons of experience and perhaps no degree thats a huge plus, but it may not get you the job vs the young guy with the degree just starting out.

My dad has hired people from all sorts of backgrounds. Chefs, waiters, people with degrees in various things, hell he even hired a guy who has a degree in physcal therapy and molded him and trained him. He like the other guy I mentioned earlier doesnt bother even calling you back unless you have tons of expierance for years in the industry or you got a degree.

Sure, it doesnt always work this way-but the majority of the time it seems to. Most jobs list the qualifications of having a 4 year degree. Im gonna be a cop-you got that 4 year degree you are hired vs many others.

Whatever works for you is the key, but dont believe everything you hear and dont always think that your secure in a job. A guy i personally know dumped UPS to deliver interstate batteries, better hours, better pay and easier job-catch he has a hazmat license..

For me, the reason I want to be a cop or at least something in that general field is most of the jobs are govt jobs and your secure in most cases, you get a huge pension, the best medical care, excellent overtime if you want it, advancing isnt easy but not nearly as hard in other fields, but best of all-while your 50 and still working somewhere Im retired or semi retired and making more case b/c I have another job on the side. One such guy I know works 4 days on 3 days off all night shifts for the PD-during the day he runs a landscape biz and makes TONS of money.

liex21
12-29-2010, 03:35 AM
It is amazing to see how times have changed in the past 20 years, like many of you said if you do not have at least a 4 year degree or superseding experience your not even looked at. College is one of the greatest investments because it can bring you above and beyond average. By this I mean with a college education you can make 100k 200k + etc. Without a college education it is pretty hard to make that much no impossible though. Also its a overall great experience and many people will agree there have been professors that have really impacted you. It teaches you great skills like time management also great opportunities for example this summer if I want I can go to Sorrento, Italy for the month of July for a study abroad program my school has and take 3 hours of classes a day and have the rest of the day to do as I please, but hey to each their own

feuerstack411
12-29-2010, 04:44 AM

Some people strive for more than a mediocre 60k a year.

CJM
12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by feuerstack411
Some people strive for more than a mediocre 60k a year.

In reality your never truly making that 60k either, taxes, healthcare, bills, etc. So when it comes down to it your bring home 40k and that goes quick..

Add in a mortgage, car payment, utility bills, phone bills, your toys, etc, etc.

Only real way to beat the system is to (now this is for edumcational purposes kiddies...) work a cash job where your income isnt reported. I know a guy who works 2 jobs off the books for cash. He keeps every single cent of those jobs, he has only 1 legit job that the govt knows about. So yea he truly makes 60k a year take home, but works like 80 hours a week to do it. His goal-save up so he can retire at 40.

MX MaNiAc 06
12-29-2010, 04:16 PM
What college are you going to? I am really considering Physical Therapist Assistant. I have been watching them closely at my Therapy session for my knee. They really have it easy! Don't get me wrong they have stuff they have to put up with and they definitely need to know what they are doing. But for the most part it seems like a good overall job. If did this i would want to work at a out patient place rather than a nursing home because that's really boring at least to me. [/B][/QUOTE]

I go to Mercyhurst North East. What part of PA are you from? Its 15 minutes away from Erie. They have a great program. If you have the opportunity to go to this program i would highly recommend it.

I'm leaning towards out-patient as well. but who knows ill probly just take the first job i see. haha

Yeah its pretty easy work but you have to be pretty knowledgeable. In physical therapy we dont usually say the technical words for everything. We know everything thats going on internally when you are told simply "do two sets of 15 with your right leg" Ask the PTAs at therapy about schooling and how they like their job. Thats what i did and my place let me do volunteer hours to get into the program.

cool 300ex
12-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
What college are you going to? I am really considering Physical Therapist Assistant. I have been watching them closely at my Therapy session for my knee. They really have it easy! Don't get me wrong they have stuff they have to put up with and they definitely need to know what they are doing. But for the most part it seems like a good overall job. If did this i would want to work at a out patient place rather than a nursing home because that's really boring at least to me.

I go to Mercyhurst North East. What part of PA are you from? Its 15 minutes away from Erie. They have a great program. If you have the opportunity to go to this program i would highly recommend it.

I'm leaning towards out-patient as well. but who knows ill probly just take the first job i see. haha

Yeah its pretty easy work but you have to be pretty knowledgeable. In physical therapy we dont usually say the technical words for everything. We know everything thats going on internally when you are told simply "do two sets of 15 with your right leg" Ask the PTAs at therapy about schooling and how they like their job. Thats what i did and my place let me do volunteer hours to get into the program. [/B][/QUOTE]

I figured it was out that way because i saw you were from slippery rock. I am out around Johnstown. I think the Hospital has a program for it. Mount Aloysius and St Francis are the 2 College's that are close to me.

MX MaNiAc 06
12-29-2010, 09:33 PM
I almost went to Mount Aloysius. I was accepted and everything but ended up wanting to live in erie. I hear they have a really good program.