PDA

View Full Version : smokin..

LONG-ROD
12-25-2010, 02:50 PM
so my bro picked up another r.. has a trx 5 pipe new. 38 air striker, v force reeds, on pump gas. starts fine, but blows smoke like a big dog. wants to strt to rev on the piolet them bogs big time when you get into it. im at sea level and its 30 degrees . main jet is a 172, piolet is a 50, and not sure on needle but it is in middle position. so my my jetting is close enough to not make it run like this.. Im thinking the clutch side crank seal is bad or lower connecting rod bearing.. any ideas from anyone... thanks

LONG-ROD
12-26-2010, 11:04 AM
alright started bike with no oil in it and still a ton of smoke, so im ruling out seals. drooped main to a 152 and went up on the needle clip, no difference.. could this be a stator issue ?

Honda 250r 001
12-26-2010, 04:05 PM
well the extra oil has to be coming from somewhere. What is your fuel to oil ratio? drain and remix. Does it run like crap? or does it run good just smoke a lot. Hows the spark? weak? strong? Whats the compression? Do you have the tools for a leak down test?

fearlessfred
12-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by LONG-ROD
alright started bike with no oil in it and still a ton of smoke, so im ruling out seals. drooped main to a 152 and went up on the needle clip, no difference.. could this be a stator issue ? i dont think you could run the motor long enough (without damage to tranny parts) to rule out main seal.i would due leakdown test. your gonna get to the stater by ruling out everything else.unless you have an extra stater to check with. i would do as honda250ro001 suggested and drain everything (gas) and start over with a fresh plug.one other thing you can do is see if you can detect any smell in the exhaust smoke (tranny fluid ,coolant) and im assumming that the smoke is bluegray in color and not black or white

LONG-ROD
12-26-2010, 07:05 PM
I always know what goes in my bikes.. evrything is good in that aspect.. smoke is white and think. plug is good and gaped properly. definitely don't smell any radiator fluid in it. it runs like crap but as you go up in the gears it gets better on the main, going to replace the crank seals for good measure and go from there. the previous owner had a 45 piolet and a 140 main jet in to compensate, so who knows might need a bottom to top rebuild.

fearlessfred
12-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by LONG-ROD
I always know what goes in my bikes.. evrything is good in that aspect.. smoke is white and think. plug is good and gaped properly. definitely don't smell any radiator fluid in it. it runs like crap but as you go up in the gears it gets better on the main, going to replace the crank seals for good measure and go from there. the previous owner had a 45 piolet and a 140 main jet in to compensate, so who knows might need a bottom to top rebuild. sounds like you allready know as much as we have told you,just a reminder to check the collar that the r.side main seal rides on for grooving and if it is set the seal at a different depth to avoid the seal resting in the old grove (new seal could still leak)and far as smoke go smoke color isnt the best indicater of whats wrong on a two stoke,but i thought if it was more like steam than smoke it might tell u something,but u would be able to smell the antifreeze

LONG-ROD
12-27-2010, 07:29 AM
I will check that thanks..