PDA

View Full Version : Preffered Hybrid chassis,Laegers or Walsh???

socal
12-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi,im new to the wonderful world of hybrids.I was wondering what was the preffered chassis,Laegers or Walsh?I know im leaving out others like LSR but those two seem to be the top players,and I know I will get some biased opinions...ALSO,I am wondering how I can tell if my Laegers CRF is a "true Laegers CRF450"?Are there obvious frame mods made to convert from a YZ motor to the CRF motor?

motochamp250
12-25-2010, 04:17 PM
wondering this too...always heard a setup walsh handles unbelievably.... also how well does a jb stack up to a walsh or laeger?

mildtowildracin
12-25-2010, 08:51 PM
hands down walsh is the best

hontrx265r
12-25-2010, 10:18 PM
socal I believe your hybrid is a "true" laeger. I think the front motor mount is a tell tale sign. The arch with billet mounts coming off of if. I think handling wise "certain" chassis from walsh and laeger handle similiar, but I think having caster adj. on a laeger really helps things out. I believe the laeger to be a lighter frame also. However I'd say the walsh is top. It has more adjustablity, from the caster to the front shock mounts, quick mount plastic etc.. these little features make it stand on top also its built more heavily which leads to less fatigue and more years of running the frame without welding.

socal
12-26-2010, 10:25 AM
So if they handle similar,thats a good thing.I like the fact that the Laeger is lighter.Does anybody know the difference in weight?

jrspawn
12-26-2010, 02:56 PM
The weight differs with the walsh chassis... r, crf, yzf, narrow, wide, link, no link, mx, pro lightweight, etc....

Comparing the two in terms of handling is hard to do also. With shock and front end setups making a HUGEEEEEEE difference.

With that being said though, ive built alot of these things and can say hands down walsh. Not the laeger is bad, its just a night and day difference(of which to me i like better).

I have had two of almost identical setup walsh and laeger hybrids on the same track to try differences. Both being narrow framed, axis shocks(both setup identical in) only "adjusted" difference was the front end. Why Laeger never opted for a caster adjustable t pin back then puzzles me. And i have also never like the camber adjustability on t pins either. And finally, the t pin in general.... i dont like that much. It does make steering effortless, but also provides a too light twitchy steering feel. So to fix the light and twitchy feeling you just throw a stabalizer on it right? That kind of defeats the purpose to me. On almost all of my laeger race quads with t pins, i would end up running dual stabalizers to get the feel i like. But everyone is different i guess.

I could go on for a long time about the small differences in alot of the chassis ive taken in over the years but ill stop there. My point, shock and front end setup can make any quad feel like either junk or the best out there. Having the adjustability to make the correct changes to suit every rider out there is a must to being the best!!!

socal
12-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks some great info so far.Seems most are favoring the Walsh.I do have the T-pin front end and steering is great.No need for dual stabilizers,im running a Precision.

hontrx265r
12-26-2010, 06:10 PM
I agree with justin on the front end thing also. Its really all about that adjustability. Socal if your serious about the way the bike handles. The best thing to do would be to have a set of adjustable caster upper arms made that are plus .5" on each side for your tpin. This will allow you to dial in more caster, gaining the stability back that is lost with the "effortless" front end(tpin) which has very little caster. The plus .5 gives you a better neutral camber starting point. (because back in the day....laeger was all about exteme camber) Also use a threaded insert for the upper clevis (more difficult to adj. but more secure then a double nut setup) Or just ride the thing, its a great bike.. you've never had a hybrid so you wont know what your missing it will just be the best for you.

socal
12-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I will ride and enjoy it!Besides the awesome performance,there is nothing like pulling up on a unique,non-cookie cutter machine!

gtilley45
12-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I've heard the same things. The Walsh bikes are heavier. But I do like the way Walsh does the radiator overflows, the intakes, the plastic mounts, and the adjustable shock towers. But I was told that adjusting front ride height by adjusting those shock towers wasn't the best way to go because you'll bottom out a lot. Because basically you're moving the shock up in order to lower the ride height. I race with several guys with Laeger hybrids and they all love the T-pin and that easy steering. One guy I race with has 2 Walsh hybrids and a Laeger. I've never asked him which one he likes best, but he seems to ride the Laeger more often than he rides the Walsh. I think what makes the T-pin so great is the old Pro Trax front ends (when they still came with a Pro Trax steering stem) is the only front end that doesn't have any bump steer.

socal
12-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Thats good info.I do have the Pro-trax stem.The seller actually gave me an extra one which is good.Yea,If you ever get a chance to ask your friend which one he likes best that would be some more good info im sure!

matt250r21
12-31-2010, 08:43 PM
I'll give you my input as well, I had an 01 full Walsh 250R, narrow frame, +4 Walsh front end, CR500 link rear and top of the line PEP ZPS. My other 250R was full Laeger Pro Trax, narrow frame, +4 T-pin, CR500 link rear and PEP ZPS as well.

Rented Budds Creek MX for the day and rode both till I could hold on no longer. Both setups are top of the line and I can say I liked both alot. Only thing with the Walsh is it felt like it had a bit more weight to it then the Laeger. You really can't go wrong with either setup, boils down to personal preferance.

gtilley45
12-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
Both setups are top of the line and I can say I liked both alot. Only thing with the Walsh is it felt like it had a bit more weight to it then the Laeger. You really can't go wrong with either setup, boils down to personal preferance.

I've heard the same thing. The Walsh is apparently a little heavier so it stays planted a little better in the turns. But the Laeger is lighter in the air. But both bikes are as good as it's gonna get when it comes to overall performance and handling.