PDA

View Full Version : 08 needle jet different from 06???

alanbmx
12-25-2010, 09:47 AM
I just bought a Dasa exhaust system with a jet kit. The needle jet is not the same, the guys at the local dealers are no help, the book only shows the stock needle, See attached photo Stock needle is on the bottom. Has any one changed the needle on an 08, All the jet kits at the local dealers have the same needle that is shorter and does not have the little hat feature on the top. The little hat holds it into the needle retainer.

Help please!!!!!!:confused:

dran714
12-25-2010, 11:14 AM
i know the stock you cant adjust with the little clip.. hence the new needle with the slots for adjustment.. i have an 05 so much help after that i cant tell ya.. try the other trx450r.org site much better help over there

alanbmx
12-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Their forum is locked up, I cannot log on, or reigister. I have tried and tried. The adjustable needle just slides thru without the hat on top, I think the clip holds the 06 and older needles in place. Sent an e-mail to Dasa but it is the holidays so I won't get a responce til Monday at the earlyest

DnB_racing
12-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I had the same problem!!!!http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=433590

I was told that was a carb that had a short run, and wasn't the same valve body as the rest!!I dont know how true that is

im not sure how many are like this, but I do know I had to change the valve body with the one from my 06 carb....

If I was to do it again I would call sudco and talk to them or call Baldwin and ask them. im sure there must be a adjustable needle for this style valve body, but I gave up trying and used a NCVQ in my old slide and used that one instead!! good luck with your search and please keep me posted, it will give me a spare carb if I can get that needle!!

quad71
12-25-2010, 10:03 PM
You can use it drop the neddle down in to the slide and then put holding nut in place works fine only differnce is when you want to adjust clip you have to use neddle nose pliers to grab the jet and pull it out i have 09 and using 06 hrc jet carbs are the same just the holding nut is differnt thats y dasa sold it to u he is no dummy enjoy. also what letters are on the dasa jet just To let everyone know whats hot thanks.

alanbmx
12-26-2010, 07:04 AM
He recomended the following:
185 main jet (you would probably want to go to about a 190 or so)
45 pilot jet
OBEL-R Needle (middle clip)
2 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw

The Pipe is a work of art, and Kevin at Dasa has been alot of help, but since it is the holiday's there is no one there to ask.
I am used to the old school oval slide carbs where you just unscrew the cap pull the needle out. I took one look at this carb and wow I could see this was going to require a manual.

DnB_racing
12-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by quad71
You can use it drop the neddle down in to the slide and then put holding nut in place works fine only differnce is when you want to adjust clip you have to use neddle nose pliers to grab the jet and pull it out i have 09 and using 06 hrc jet carbs are the same just the holding nut is differnt thats y dasa sold it to u he is no dummy enjoy. also what letters are on the dasa jet just To let everyone know whats hot thanks. oh man!!! your saying that i should have just have dropped it in its place!!! and the clip under the nut would have held it, sometimes I guess I make more off a project out off things then i have to LOL!!

it was they were such a difference in length that it didnt look like they were even close!!!! live and learn

DnB_racing
12-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by alanbmx
He recomended the following:
185 main jet (you would probably want to go to about a 190 or so)
45 pilot jet
OBEL-R Needle (middle clip)
2 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw

The Pipe is a work of art, and Kevin at Dasa has been alot of help, but since it is the holiday's there is no one there to ask.
I am used to the old school oval slide carbs where you just unscrew the cap pull the needle out. I took one look at this carb and wow I could see this was going to require a manual. wow 185 to 190 is absolutly HUGE!!!! But if thats what he recomends I guess you must have some huge flow!!!! in mine with full baldwin i run my main at 168 and 46 pilot and a/f at 2 open air k+n 3000' race fuel

alanbmx
12-26-2010, 10:22 AM
The 45 pilot seems to be the concensus but the 185 main seems to be way big, and I would hate to put all this on and get to Glamis (150 miles away) and have a blubbering plug fouling mess on my hands. Nothing quite like tearing apart a carb in a sand storm:confused:
So I think I am going stock this trip. Hopefully the guys at Dasa are working tomorrow and we will see.

Anyone else used these needles? Dropping it in and the nut holding it in place makes sence.

eastside 400
12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
main jet should be around 165-172 usually