PDA

View Full Version : It Finally Happened!!!

extremeblastr
12-23-2010, 07:37 PM
after two years of battling some serious paperwork issues and applying for a medical waiver i finally enlisted today. so here i am as a freshly minted E1 (yeah yeah lowest rank in existence i'm aware of that) but with two friends slated to enlist over the next month i'll be an E3(Private First Class) before you know it thanks to the referrals. i'll be doing both my basic training and AIT at Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri starting May 23rd of the coming year. sorry i'm just wicked excited to get this all done and get my life started.

Pappy
12-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Basic in the south in May....get ready to sweat! Maybe it wont be too bad on ya!

Congrats, and thank you for serving!

slightlybent47
12-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Congratulations and thank you for serving. Use the time before you go in to get in shape so basic wont be so bad. My nephew is home from school and I can see a big deference in him already. He loved basic and is doing great now he is in school. What a deference a year makes.

Good luck and thanks again!!

yellowhonda400
12-23-2010, 08:46 PM
thanks for serving and reping CT!

CJM
12-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Good job man, def prepare before you go.

What is your MOS gonna be?

trailrider894
12-23-2010, 11:28 PM
ha ha FT. Leonard Wood won't be too bad in May. I'm from Missouri so i should know... Its worst in July. It stays pretty low humidity until early summer... but when it rains in the spring it pours... and then its humid for a day or two...

TheLane
12-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Congrats on signing up! Now that you qualify I highly suggest you get USAA. I am a loan officer for them in the consumer lending, recreational vehicle dept, and i can tell you we care about our members bar none. Being a military founded and military focused organization the level of care and service they offer is unmatched.

No hassle when pcsing, amazing over the top perks if your deploying, and fantastic rates on all of our insurance policies. (when conisdering military members for a loan we even take BAH and BAS into consideration twords their debt to income ratio :P )

Thanks for what your doing and about to do for our country. You rock man!

liex21
12-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Congrats man and thank you for serving, was it a PITA to get the med waivers because I went to join also and because I have a rod in my femur they said i had to get evaluated and the waiver also. Also what MOS ?

ZeroLogic
12-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Congrats. What medical issue did you have?

extremeblastr
12-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by CJM
What is your MOS gonna be?
88 mike - transport operator (truck driver basically) only because i'm not eligible for a security clearance until after i graduate basic and ait because of the waivers i had to get. once i'm done with all that though i can apply for a clearance and reclass to whatever i choose.

Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Congrats. What medical issue did you have? medications i was on until my senior year of HS and ashtma. both very easy to handle if you have a good recruiter but the first guy was a total idiot and to proud to ask another recruiter for help and once i figured that out it took me almost a year to find another recruiter in the area who was willing to take on my packet because they were all afraid to be seen as "stealing me out from under my current recruiter"

feuerstack411
12-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Congrats man.

I'm in the middle of enlisting right now myself. I'm going to Ft Hamilton for the ASVAB and physical when I get back from Canada in a few weeks. Then hopefully take the DLAB. The only thing delaying my enlistment is some open traffic tickets.

CJM
12-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Yea dont be a transport driver, no guarantee you wont be sent somewhere where road side bombs are around.

Be a mechanic, its agreat job where they teach you relevant skills that you can use later (if you like mechanic work).

I had wanted to be an 11B, but couldnt get med waivers to get in (my wrist was severely damaged years ago and they just wouldnt approve me no matter what). Its good your hard work paid off pestering them, glad you got in.

ZeroLogic
12-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr

medications i was on until my senior year of HS and ashtma. both very easy to handle if you have a good recruiter but the first guy was a total idiot and to proud to ask another recruiter for help and once i figured that out it took me almost a year to find another recruiter in the area who was willing to take on my packet because they were all afraid to be seen as "stealing me out from under my current recruiter"
along so he can meet his
What exactly did you have to do? I have ashtma and when I went to join when I graduated highschool they said I was not allowed in by one recruiter and another just wanted to push me in to meet his quota.

extremeblastr
12-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
along so he can meet his
What exactly did you have to do? I have ashtma and when I went to join when I graduated highschool they said I was not allowed in by one recruiter and another just wanted to push me in to meet his quota.

you have to submit a request for physical through the recruiter go for your initial physical and get denied by the doctor and then the liaison at your m.e.p.s station will put in a medical waiver for you and they will most likely send you for a med consult (this entails different things depending on what your waiver is for you'll be taking a breathing functions test at a pulmonologists office most likely) and then wait for the big wig docs to make a decision with the results. OR you can do what i did for the asthma and instead of waiting around ask your recruiter to find a pulmonologist in your area and take the breathing functions test yourself and bring a copy of the results signed by the doctor whos office you visit to the recruiter and your waiver should get approved right away for the ashtma. it sounds complicated but its really an easy process. don't be afraid to tell your recruiter to slow down if you feel like hes pushing it through to quick but realize also that its his first sergeant thats putting pressure on him to put pressure on you so they can make their numbers.

send me a p.m. and i'll give you my cell # so you can txt me if you have any questions about anything

ZeroLogic
12-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
you have to submit a request for physical through the recruiter go for your initial physical and get denied by the doctor and then the liaison at your m.e.p.s station will put in a medical waiver for you and they will most likely send you for a med consult (this entails different things depending on what your waiver is for you'll be taking a breathing functions test at a pulmonologists office most likely) and then wait for the big wig docs to make a decision with the results. OR you can do what i did for the asthma and instead of waiting around ask your recruiter to find a pulmonologist in your area and take the breathing functions test yourself and bring a copy of the results signed by the doctor whos office you visit to the recruiter and your waiver should get approved right away for the ashtma. it sounds complicated but its really an easy process. don't be afraid to tell your recruiter to slow down if you feel like hes pushing it through to quick but realize also that its his first sergeant thats putting pressure on him to put pressure on you so they can make their numbers.

send me a p.m. and i'll give you my cell # so you can txt me if you have any questions about anything

Well now I'm not to interested in it. I got a pretty serious relationship and a great job. It just upset me how irresponsible the recruiter was. If I could go back in time I would of went to a different one and I probably wouldn't be here in the states now.:p
The only way I'd go back is if my job got ruined or something extreme happened. But thank you for the info and I wish you the best of luck.:macho

I-7
12-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Congrats man! You're gonna meet lots of people from all over the world and experience things that very few get to experience. Stay in good shape, work out, and be ready to get your *** kicked in bootcamp haha!