PDA

View Full Version : 400 Sitting Around.

2 QuicK
02-11-2003, 05:53 PM
My 400ex has been sitting around for a long time while I've been getting parts to repair it. Well I finally got everything fixed and back on. Today before I was gonna go riding for the first time since then I checked the oil and there was nothing on the dip-stick. Now I know it's a dry-sump engine, so is all the oil in the sump from not running it for a long time? I just wanted to ask before i started it and not take any risks. If this is not the case then my oil has mysteriously dissapeared and I need to do some inspection and buy some more oil:confused:

2 QuicK
02-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Anyone?:(

GNCC#829
02-11-2003, 07:36 PM
I would fill the oil up to somewhere in the safe marks and then start it for just a few seconds, and then check it again. If it is ok, I would run it like normal, and then check the oil again. Is oil should not have went anywhere, if there is no oil on the dipstick, then there is no (or very little) oil in the tank.

Newbie400ex
02-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Yeah, but if you want to be on the safe side then drain the crankcase and do an oil change. Then you know for sure.

twisted threads
02-12-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Newbie400ex
Yeah, but if you want to be on the safe side then drain the crankcase and do an oil change. Then you know for sure.
Thats what I would do if I was you.

coryatver
02-12-2003, 08:25 AM
You are probly ok all the oil just drained into the motor. After you start it up it will fill the tank back up