PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my 08 400ex build. PLEASE!

08400ex'er
12-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Let me start by saying I only have a budget of about $2000 to spend so I would like to get the most out of it but I can’t go over the budget by much. Here is a list of what I’m thinking of any comments or insight would be much appreciated.

First off the suspension…. I would like a nicer ride so I thought about doing +1 or +2 lonestar a-arms with 450r shocks in front. I think the rear 450r shock works for the 400ex to? If I get the plus 2’s non-long travel my understanding is even though they work with the stock shocks you should have stiffer shocks to compensate for the additional leverage the +2’s have on the shocks. Since the 450r shocks are a little stiffer anyway this should compensate for the increased leverage.

My friend and I recently installed 450r shocks on his 400ex with stock a-arms and they raised the ride height by about an inch and seemed to pull in the front tires by about 1 ½ to 2 inches total and are a little stiff even on the softest setting. I assume that the +2’s would compensate for the stiffness and for the decreased width as I really only want to add about an inch to each side anyway. What do you think?

To finish it off a g-force rear extended axle and 450r rear shock.

Total cost so far $580 LNR A-arms, 450r Shocks front and rear $350, G-force axle $200.

Suspension Total $1130

Next I’d like to add a few performance parts…. Sparks x-6 Exhaust $560, JE 10.6 406cc piston $160, Hot Cams stage 2 $180, performance air filter $40 and a jet and gasket kit $80.

Total performance upgrades cost $1020

Total overall cost about $2150

I can probably get some of the parts a little cheaper and I can do the work myself plus my father is a mechanic and can assist with the bore and hone and the jetting.

What do you think? Any suggestions? Am I missing anything? Am I completely off about the Suspension?:confused:

logant14
12-23-2010, 07:58 AM
i would save money and not get the rear shock. i have kfx shocks and they are really nice. they may be a little more but ith ink they are worth it. you can get the piston and cam cheaper

CJM
12-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Dont bother with the 450r rear shock, the stocker and it are basically the same.

The front shocks just an FYI: when you decrease the ride height they smooth out much better. I lowered mine about 1/4 of an inch was pleasantly surprised how much softer it got. If you adjust them for your riding style and weight it helps.

Your gonna want to do at least a 416 with a stage 2 hotcam, otherwise stick to stage 1 if you do 406.

Buy a uni air filter, they are cheap and work VERY well.

Cometic gaskets are the only brand besides OEM that I wil run, I like them alot

Might want to step up to an 11:1 piston, you will have to use at least 91+ octane but it gives you a slight boost.

chronicsmoke
12-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Find a used exhaust and used A-arms! you'll save 3-400 right there!!

And you could have your rear revalved as well. Stock fronts can be had for ~200. Stay off ebay for shocks.. Users of the forums arent usually trying to make a killing off of part outs like the salvage shops that deal exclusivly on ebay, usually we're just trying to recoup some money for new projects!

SHOP AROUND :bandit:

Shawthy33
12-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Someone that realizes the benefit of handling, I appreciate that, and will give my 2 cents. Too many people around here brag about their 426 kits then show a picture of their quad with Bald-tires and blown shocks. How well does the power work when it can't get to the ground?

That said:

Used parts is your friend. Used A-arms with a fresh powder coat and bushings will save you $$$ and you'll have a brand new set-arguably.

Shocks - 450r shocks can be found at decent prices, however, if you plan to build them down the road (i.e. triple rate re-sprung etc) shop around now for some great Used Axis, Elka, etc in triple rate. Long run front shocks is a great investment.

I second the Uni Filter comment, only filters I run in my quads/bikes

Power - my engine is basically stock so I'll let the experts give them that advice

Buying the right parts the first time can save you money in the long-run. If you plan to have this quad for awhile, be patient and buy the right stuff the first time.

gpd005
12-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I also just purchased a new 2008 400ex and I'll give you a run down of what i plan to do. First off, i wouldn't mess with the rear 450 shock, just send your stock shock into GT Thunder and get his link to go with it and it will handle as good as anything else out there. For the front's i'm going with HLS Shocks and GT Thunder a-arms. I'll be running a uni filter, sparks timing advance key and a full HMF system. You need to make it handle good before you do a bunch of motor mods. So spend your money on parts for that bike!!! Good luck with your build and keep us posted!

Honda#4
12-23-2010, 07:50 PM
My opinion i'd rather spend more on suspension than motor performance.

MtnEX
12-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
My opinion i'd rather spend more on suspension than motor performance.

I agree... spend all the money on handling upgrades...

Get a good aftermarket setup front and rear set up for your weight and riding style.

Napalm Nate
12-24-2010, 12:32 AM
dont forget to take lots of pictures we all love build threads

supertrooper90
12-24-2010, 05:45 AM
I would save the money on the sparks exaust. grind the welds on your stock head pipe and get a nice slip on. that should save you 250-300

99400esex
12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
you can get the cam for 150 at mods3.com

CJM
12-24-2010, 11:31 AM
150 is still $$$, you can get it for 130 or less on ebay. ATVandMXParts or apex racing ive dealt with before and would recommend them.

99400esex
12-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah if you have an ebay account I guess you could find one cheaper, I never have time to look around on ebay so mods3 is my place to go