PDA

View Full Version : new to the sport

wheelygerry
12-22-2010, 09:56 PM
hey everyone! well as u can see in the title im new to the quad seen, but far from new to the whole ridind scene. I have been stunting sportbikes for about 5.5 years now and am sick of my sponsor jerking me around so im wanting to get into racing. I really think i wanna start by getting a good trail quad and building it up a bit,plus i got some nice trails near my house so i can get some practice from riding them, then next summer id like to start racing. I know there is a big difference between racing a 40 50 horsepower quad from stunting a 120+ horsepower sportbike. But i grew up on quads and just love riding them all together, so the whole point of this post is id like to see what some of the more experieced riders would think a good place is to start for me to. So thanks for all the input and i hope to ride with some of you guys. Im in Nashville,Tn and have done a little reserch and have found 5 or 6 tracks in Tennessee. Oh if anyone is from Tn let me know whats your favorite track is. Once again thanks and i might even trade one of my kawasaki ninja 636's for a nicely set up quad i only ride kawa bikes so would like some input on the quality of their quads.

ridehonda400ex
12-22-2010, 10:55 PM
A kawasaki 450 would be good for you it sounds like since you want to race and it sounds like you wanna do the trail racing (i cant remember the exact name, its been a long day) but it does have reverse, which would be very handy if you hit a tree or something. its also fuel injected

wheelygerry
12-22-2010, 11:40 PM
yea i would like to get something with reverse but i am planning on getting something ne to race i think im gonna finance something brand new

strubby
12-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Look out for a deal on a leftover model if you're looking new. I got my '08 KFX450r for $4800 OTD new about 6 months ago. After working out the kinks and putting more seat time on it, I'm liking it more and more. I've also had an Zuk LTR450 and TRX450r so I could compare them of you're not SET on Kawi. Check out KFX450.org for more Kawi info. This is a great place to get info on ALL bikes tho.

ridehonda400ex
12-27-2010, 09:34 PM
ive heard KFX450 is the slowest for the 450's for top speed. but like i said earlier, if trail riding is your thing then it might be for you since its got reverse but if i was doing MX id either go with a trx450r or a ltr450 since its pretty much race ready when stock, and i wouldnt recommend yamaha, and thats not because i ride honda. but i have a friend with a yfz and its been nothing but pure trouble. first the colling system broke so that turned out really bad then his head gasket blew, then he had electrical problems, now he had to replace the whole engine because the engine cracked. and he takes care of his bike and it didnt get rode hard.

wheelygerry
12-28-2010, 01:21 AM
thanx alot guys the more i take time to do some research b 4 buying something i think im gonna got with a 400ex for the trails. cause they r cheap plus when i get the 450 im gonna give the 400 to my girl friend. i really think im going with the zuk, so that b n said is their any year i should stay away from? the reason i ask is i see alot of stuff saying to try to stay away from any first year bike. but once again thanks to all and i cant wait to get that zuk!!

ridehonda400ex
12-28-2010, 07:07 AM
i havent heard of any problems of the 400ex or the ltr450(i assume thats what you mean by when you say suzuki) but remember that the 400ex and ltr450 engines arent the same, the 400ex is more of trails and race mixed unlike the ltr450 or any other 450 that is more focused toward the racing scene from the factory. also check out http://www.********.com/forums/

ridehonda400ex
12-28-2010, 07:09 AM
okay idk why the link did that and i cant get it to stop doing it but just search ltr 450 forums on google

strubby
12-28-2010, 07:34 AM
If you're looking for a 400, and you plan on giving it to your girl later, I would strungly suggest the LTZ/KFX/DVX400. It has much more potential than the 400ex, it is liquid cooled, and all years have reverse. The Suzukis are also more comfortable bikes than the competition. The 400 motor is very simple and easy to work on. The LTR450 gets more complicated with the FI and tighter working space. Since you were looking at the KFX450r originally, I have to add that I chose it (after owning all the bikes listed) for the exact reasons you're getting a bike, maybe not the super cheap part. It's the perfect woods bike. Has the power and potential of the 450's, reverse and handles awesome for an XC width bike. If it weren't for this bike, I honestly think I would have gone back to a newer Z400 with the fuel injection. They're pretty impressive in the woods. Goodluck with your choice! If you have any more comparison questions, just ask.

ridehonda400ex
12-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by strubby
If you're looking for a 400, and you plan on giving it to your girl later, I would strungly suggest the LTZ/KFX/DVX400. It has much more potential than the 400ex, it is liquid cooled, and all years have reverse. The Suzukis are also more comfortable bikes than the competition. The 400 motor is very simple and easy to work on. The LTR450 gets more complicated with the FI and tighter working space. Since you were looking at the KFX450r originally, I have to add that I chose it (after owning all the bikes listed) for the exact reasons you're getting a bike, maybe not the super cheap part. It's the perfect woods bike. Has the power and potential of the 450's, reverse and handles awesome for an XC width bike. If it weren't for this bike, I honestly think I would have gone back to a newer Z400 with the fuel injection. They're pretty impressive in the woods. Goodluck with your choice! If you have any more comparison questions, just ask.

agreed with the part about the 400, i dont think i'd want the dvx tho. id probably choose the ltz

strubby
12-28-2010, 10:09 AM
They're all the same bike except for the cosmetics. I actually like the looks of the DVX the most, but I've 'heard' the plastics are brittle. If it were SOLEly his g/f's bike, a 400EX would be great, rock solid reliability, but since it'll be his for a while, I figured the LTZ has more potential.

scotturban
12-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
agreed with the part about the 400, i dont think i'd want the dvx tho. id probably choose the ltz

the ltz400 kfx400 and dvx400 were all the exact same?only difference is plastic on them, suzuki made them all.

ridehonda400ex
12-28-2010, 12:23 PM
oh well then if theyre all the same then get the cheapest one lol