PDA

View Full Version : kinda dumb car question

deathman53
12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I see all these cars around where I drive daily for work, Perth Amboy NJ. I see all these honda civics w/ huge spoilers, carbon fiber looking hoods, big rims w/ really low profile tires, cars dropped to nearly the ground, as usual lots of very immature stickers on them and can't forget the very very annoying sounding mufflers. Almost every single one of them has these brushed, red, green, blue, etc hooks on the rear end(usually w/ a sticker right above it facing to the hook) and sometimes 2 of them on the front. What is the purpose of these hooks? To make the car look even gayer than it looks already? Or is there a real world purpose for these? You knows whats odd? probably atleast 2 of ever 10 has a "boot" on it, funny isn't it.

Dobber
12-22-2010, 04:39 PM
there called tow hooks..i own a honda and i honestly dont see the point of them either..im guessing that maybe they could be used on a drag car to tow it back to the line..but thats just a guess.

eastside 400
12-22-2010, 05:10 PM
yea they are just tow hooks, required for road racing and used in drag also. just something else to stick on the car to make it look sick, along with the chrome fire extinguisher on the pillar and 2" holes cut into the back bumper cover

CJM
12-22-2010, 05:42 PM
They are tow hooks, which is really funny since a civic, etc has built in tow points in the unibody of the car.

Mostly what it is actually used for is on higher end cars like benz, audi, bmw, lexus and such-you cant tow them as easily so they have those points that you can screw on and use to put your chains in.

BlaineKaiser450
12-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Exactly. You often see them on race cars that are so hopped up they can't be driven other than on the track so they tow through the pits. Also helpful if they crash

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JWsT192dtac?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JWsT192dtac?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

feuerstack411
12-22-2010, 08:48 PM
This is probably the sticker you're seeing too...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Wakaba_mark.svg/394px-Wakaba_mark.svg.png

Its the sticker that kids in Japan have to put on their cars when they first get their license.

So when kids over here in the US put them on, they're just being JDM as fcuk.

WhiteYFZ
12-22-2010, 08:55 PM
yup, just tow hooks, its a honda/acura thing

12-22-2010, 09:24 PM
A rot of the imports are doing this now and think they are tow hooks. In rearity they are aruminum garbage and everyone wourd raugh at you on a proper circuit. I have rear tow hooks, borted to the frame and made of croth rike a seat bert. Those shiny pieces on peopres cars would tear off and are a safety hazzard to track attendants when they yank and they go frying.

SpasticR450
12-23-2010, 12:05 AM
They need the tow hooks for when they break a rim on a curb trying to drift there fwd.

Derrick Adams
12-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Peter Chao
A rot of the imports are doing this now and think they are tow hooks. In rearity they are aruminum garbage and everyone wourd raugh at you on a proper circuit. I have rear tow hooks, borted to the frame and made of croth rike a seat bert. Those shiny pieces on peopres cars would tear off and are a safety hazzard to track attendants when they yank and they go frying.

Seriously dude... There's got to be some sort of computer program to convert your language to ours.

CJM
12-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams
Seriously dude... There's got to be some sort of computer program to convert your language to ours.

hes doing it purposely..

250x_kyle
12-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by CJM
hes doing it purposely..

unfortunately.

ricers are getting horrible. and theres a new fast and the furious movie comming out ohhh great.

WhiteZrider
12-27-2010, 07:50 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yImCca7DTvs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yImCca7DTvs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SpasticR450
12-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
unfortunately.

ricers are getting horrible. and theres a new fast and the furious movie comming out ohhh great.

Hey theres V8s in them movies. It's sad how most 4cyl cars make hp under 150 yet all the loud "muscle cars" with loud exhausts put out less than 150 to. Some one in a older V8 with a exhaust will call a honda guy with a fart can a ricer but in a drag it would be a even match.

Like a 4cyl chevy cavalier makes 20hp more than a 80s camaro. :eek: V8 vroom vroom vs 4cyl ween ween. sucks when the ween ween passes up the vroom vroom car. haha :blah:

BlaineKaiser450
01-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SpasticR450
Hey theres V8s in them movies. It's sad how most 4cyl cars make hp under 150 yet all the loud "muscle cars" with loud exhausts put out less than 150 to. Some one in a older V8 with a exhaust will call a honda guy with a fart can a ricer but in a drag it would be a even match.

Like a 4cyl chevy cavalier makes 20hp more than a 80s camaro. :eek: V8 vroom vroom vs 4cyl ween ween. sucks when the ween ween passes up the vroom vroom car. haha :blah: Since when did the 530 horsepower 440 in my Plymouth make 150? Even when it was stock, it was more than double that. What about the 351 in my dads Cougar with 325 horsepower, and the only mods are a cam and flowmaster mufflers? You're high...

250x_kyle
01-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Like a 4cyl chevy cavalier makes 20hp more than a 80s camaro. :eek: V8 vroom vroom vs 4cyl ween ween. sucks when the ween ween passes up the vroom vroom car. haha :blah:

im not here to argue. im around dirt track cars alot and the day i hear or see a 4 cylinder thats louder or faster then one of our motors will be the day i will go buy a civic. ;)

SpasticR450
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
im not here to argue. im around dirt track cars alot and the day i hear or see a 4 cylinder thats louder or faster then one of our motors will be the day i will go buy a civic. ;)

4g63T 210 stock. 500 boosted. +hp if rods/pistons upgraded. 6-700hp on pump. And hondas will never be fast. The nsx is the only honda car worth having performance wise. And 15k is cheepest you find them used. low miles around 80k.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UHW7GeQlD0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UHW7GeQlD0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6giWi5YJjw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6giWi5YJjw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

250x_kyle
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
key word 500 + boosted. were maken a little over 500 at the wheels with stock stroke everything top end has been gone over.

01-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Ror funny stuff. HP is a number, power to weight and traction is what makes or breaks it on the straights.

Brauap
01-02-2011, 08:15 PM
What kind of V8's are you looking at that make just 150??

You ricers are so *ucking retarded.. you driving around with a bigger pipe on your 4 banger than my dad has on his 7.3 Powerstroke! They sound like SH*T too! I will never understand those losers..

250x_kyle
01-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Peter Chao
Ror funny stuff. HP is a number, power to weight and traction is what makes or breaks it on the straights.

im not much for strait lines. yeah theres some quick four cylinders but there all built and pushing crazy boost. im not saying you can make a quick car. im just v8 guy. i rather hear a lion roar then a kitten meow. just not my cup of tea. im more for turning right to go left and yes power to weight is very important for that the car goes on the scales all the time and yes it has balls.

Ruby Soho
01-02-2011, 08:51 PM
there is no replacement for displacement.

cant argue that. and if your going to tell me boost this and boost that, well boost the v8 too and you'll make more power than the 4cyl ever will.

250x_kyle
01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
there is no replacement for displacement.

cant argue that. and if your going to tell me boost this and boost that, well boost the v8 too and you'll make more power than the 4cyl ever will.

someone that understands. :cool:

CJM
01-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I gave up arguing, its pointless with someone who thinks they know better.

Im sure my buddy who I helped build an el camino with that got on pinks and did 9.87 in the 1/4 would be beat by one of those awesome eclipses?

9.87 is MIGHTY fast for such a heavy car too might I add.

BlaineKaiser450
01-02-2011, 10:01 PM
That el camino sounds sick!

BlaineKaiser450
01-02-2011, 10:04 PM
4g63T 210 stock. 500 boosted. +hp if rods/pistons upgraded. 6-700hp on pump. And hondas will never be fast. The nsx is the only honda car worth having performance wise. And 15k is cheepest you find them used. low miles around 80k.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UHW7GeQlD0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UHW7GeQlD0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6giWi5YJjw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6giWi5YJjw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> Its funny that the only proof you can show is full blown race cars, while as many of the muscle cars owned by people on here or in general with similar 1/4 mile times and horsepower are street driven.

CJM
01-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
That el camino sounds sick!

Indeed it is, he almost won pinks all out about 3 years ago. We built it up in HS, his dad is a big time local racer down at e-town (englishtown raceway park in nj) and it's his sons car.

Raced it at bristol on pinks and e-town.

Racing is fun, building it up is even more fun imho.

250x_kyle
01-02-2011, 10:35 PM
CJM sounds like a wild ride for sure. its amazing how much power you can make with a little know how. plus theres always a super charger if needed.

CJM
01-02-2011, 10:45 PM
CJM sounds like a wild ride for sure. its amazing how much power you can make with a little know how. plus theres always a super charger if needed.

Supercharger adds to the fun. :D

The group I hang with are the kings of this stuff in my area. The kinda guys who will build engines and cars like crazy and on a shoestring budget. My former boss used to boil engine parts in his kitchen lol to get them clean so he could reuse them, he had engine blocks apart in his family room too.

Sound like a fun day or what?

250x_kyle
01-03-2011, 08:38 AM
the last alcohol motor we built when it finally went it threw the rod through the block and what we think was bthe bottom half of the rod through the oil pan. the piston was just big metal chunks in the oil pan broke the valves off. that was just cylinder three letting loose. theres list of specs you have to be within or you can lose your money and get disqualified for the season. i do like to watch strait line but just not my cup of tea.

Ichoptop
01-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Look at the HP ratings for most american V8 cars in about 1975. 150 hp was a great motor in that time.

But then again, look at HP ratings for the same styled cars in 1965...and the HP was doubled.

Cars died the day they quit casting the 426 block

CJM
01-03-2011, 11:04 AM
the last alcohol motor we built when it finally went it threw the rod through the block and what we think was bthe bottom half of the rod through the oil pan. the piston was just big metal chunks in the oil pan broke the valves off. that was just cylinder three letting loose. theres list of specs you have to be within or you can lose your money and get disqualified for the season. i do like to watch strait line but just not my cup of tea.

Ouch! That sounds like one very bad day :(

250x_kyle
01-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Ouch! That sounds like one very bad day :(

that it was plus we only had a week to get the heads done a block bored and put it all back together. turns out when the oil pressure light comes on in turn four of the last lap your supposed to kill it and not hammer down .:p

CJM
01-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Yea, generally not a good idea to beat it if some idiot light comes on lol.

Hey, live and learn right?

250x_kyle
01-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Yea, generally not a good idea to beat it if some idiot light comes on lol.

Hey, live and learn right?

i wasnt driving. it was due for a rebuild anyway. it was still a strong runner but most of the time when the idiot light comes on in them its almost to late anyways.

CJM
01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
i wasnt driving. it was due for a rebuild anyway. it was still a strong runner but most of the time when the idiot light comes on in them its almost to late anyways.

Pretty much, when that light comes on you know your done for most of the time.

01-03-2011, 05:51 PM
im not much for strait lines. yeah theres some quick four cylinders but there all built and pushing crazy boost. im not saying you can make a quick car. im just v8 guy. i rather hear a lion roar then a kitten meow. just not my cup of tea. im more for turning right to go left and yes power to weight is very important for that the car goes on the scales all the time and yes it has balls.

I havent seen many V8 powered cars take a turn proper besides the super cars. The onry proper handring car made in America has been the Ford GT. Thats not exactry something your average driver can afford...

BlaineKaiser450
01-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
Look at the HP ratings for most american V8 cars in about 1975. 150 hp was a great motor in that time.

But then again, look at HP ratings for the same styled cars in 1965...and the HP was doubled.

Cars died the day they quit casting the 426 block

1969 Charger :

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/LtOrange/Cars/charger.png

1975 Charger

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x183/Dobaroy/Oct08ParisTripCharger019.jpg

They're wern't muscle cars being made in 1975ish, he's saying that the big blocks from 1970 are the same as the emissions motors from the late 70's, which couldn't be farther from the truth