PDA

View Full Version : GT thunder linkage question

quadmanw
12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Has anyone bought the GT thunder XC linkage? I'm rebuilding my quad and this seems to be really popular. can someone explain please lol?

thanks, steve

dustin_j
12-22-2010, 11:19 AM
I have an mx linkage, not the xc, but I'll try to explain them some. The stock linkage has too large of a linkage progression rate; this makes the shock stiff too fast (harsh). The GT Thunder linkages are designed for the stock shocks; the reason for the two different linkages is to get correct ride heights with either 18 or 20 inch rear tires. They also decrease the progression rate to a more manageable range. You'll want to get your shock resprung and ravalved, and you'll need front shocks that will allow you to lower your ride height. For best results have the same person setup your front and rear shocks to ensure balance front to rear.

400man
12-23-2010, 12:08 AM
I have the GTT xc linkage and im pretty happy with it. if you are an aggressive trail rider or a xc racer then I would bet you would like it if you are coming from the stock rear shock and linkage. it will make the rear end have alot more sag and set lower than the stock linkage, and to me it makes the stock shock feel alot smoother.......but alot softer as well. I weigh about 155lbs in riding gear and I bottom out occasionally.....any heavier and its best to just send em your shock and have it reworked for you. but the linkage just helped alot with my riding style. it just squats and goes under hard acceleration. in the trails it feels alot more stable and feels like it sticks to the ground alot better, not as tippy or rolly feeling, especially when braking hard and sliding the rear end around and also on the sides of hills.

supertrooper90
12-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I have the xc link and completely agree with 400man. I did the 450r conversion in the front and the xc link and revalve in the rear. It handles awesome everywhere i have run it. feels great in the woods and does the mx track with ease as well. I had to space my exhaust out to clear my rear caliper and space up my air box a little. It really was the best mod I did to my quad!

400man
12-23-2010, 06:22 PM
yea I forgot about that......you have to modify the subframe a little or else the sprocket hub bolts will hit the subframe rail when the rear shock gets close to bottoming out, and also space out the exhaust so it doesnt hit the caliper.

honda98
12-25-2010, 08:28 PM
hey i was just wondering how tough is it to modify the subframe and move the exhaust.

dustin_j
12-25-2010, 09:03 PM
It only hits by about 1/8." I used a dead blow (plastic hammer) to coax the subframe inward slightly. It doesn't take much, and you can't tell it was done. Install the linkage without the shock, remove your front shocks also, and set the frame on a 2x4 (so it's 1.5" off the ground); you can tell if it will contact, and how much to "modify." Remember, the sprocket nuts are what contact, so make sure you rotate the axle appropriately.