View Full Version : how to check if its bored?

Dkilby95
12-21-2010, 11:23 AM
i got my '85-'86 quadracer couple yrs ago and traded my 01' scrambler 90 for it. according to the guy it had been bored out. when i got this quad though i never asked how much it was bored out(stupid).I was young, i was nieve, i was twelve and didnt start getting interested in my LT until early spring 2010 when i dragged it up from our barn from its 2 year slumber(dont worry i cleaned the card and it pop started like nothin) and realized i really should have asked this guy how much he bored it out. Anyway i was wondering if there is an easy way to check how much it is bored out because it will be one more thing that i can brag to people about this thing.:ermm:

abalsor86
12-23-2010, 06:29 PM
the only way your going to be able to tell is if you have it apart and pull the cylinder off and either look at the piston and see what is wrote on it or measure the cylinder with a caliper.

Dkilby95
01-04-2011, 07:00 AM
oookkkk..... but what is the correct size? (call me stupid for asking) i mean, OK if i measure it that still wont tell me anything if i dont know the original size measurement.:ermm:

abalsor86
01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
if its bored out you will see like a .10 or .25 or .60 a number something like that on the top of the piston. if there is nothng like that than it would be stock bore. I have had several lt250r's and can tell ya almost anything about them.

Dkilby95
01-06-2011, 11:31 AM
ok then, so to get to the piston do i just have to take off the piece the spark plug screws into that is held on by like six bolts or something more complicated?

LTandRaptorider
01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Yes, that is the cylinder head. First loosen a little each nut in a criss-cross pattern. Then remove them and pop the head off. Might be a little tough if it hasn't been off in a long time. Might have to tap it with a rubber mallet. DON'T use a screwdriver to pry it off! This of course will allow you to only see the top of the piston. Look to see if there is an over-bore size stamped on top of piston. If you need to replace piston and get cylinder bored, then remove cylinder base nuts and slide cylinder off the piston. Make sure you put new gaskets on any you take off.

abalsor86
01-06-2011, 06:39 PM
dont take the 6 nuts off around the spark plug. leave the head bolted to the cylinder and take the pipe and carb off and unbolt the 4 base bolts where the cylender bolts to the transmission. doing this you can slide the whole cylinder off and have access to the piston rings and wristpin. also in doing this you will only need a base gasket to put it back together. you wont need a head gasket.

hope this helps

LTandRaptorider
01-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by abalsor86
dont take the 6 nuts off around the spark plug. leave the head bolted to the cylinder and take the pipe and carb off and unbolt the 4 base bolts where the cylender bolts to the transmission. doing this you can slide the whole cylinder off and have access to the piston rings and wristpin. also in doing this you will only need a base gasket to put it back together. you wont need a head gasket.

hope this helps

Good advice if he wants to replace rings, etc. But after reading his first post, he only wants to check piston to see what size it is. He was told it's bored over-size, but he's not sure what size. If that's all he wants to check, easier just pullin the head. :cool:

Dkilby95
01-07-2011, 05:47 AM
thanks for your help i will defiantly check that today!