PDA

View Full Version : What broke on your DS450 ?

syckNtwisted121
12-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Hey, I am in the market for a DS450 for MX racing purposes. I Have been asking everyone I have seen with one what breaks on them ? that said, please share what broke on yours as well as what type of riding you do

thank you much

12-23-2010, 09:34 AM
what didnt break?

m0t0xk1d
12-23-2010, 03:19 PM
people will bash them. its going to happen. I love mine and even had some of the worst luck. My ds has 8 hours on it and the third gear broke and i got a clogged injector. however i still love the bike. i like the powerband, to me if feel very smooth but the midrange has alot of power. it rides kinid of like a two except it has a tid bit more bottom end. i have the xmx suspension and what not and i love it. however all my shocks were redone by wayne at PEP. I love everything about the bike. best bike ive ever ridden. talk to BCS they will hook you up with everything you need.

syckNtwisted121
12-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Yeah, all race bikes break plain and simple. Hondas have tin foil frames and valve issues, LTRs have oil pump and 3rd gear issues, KTM has piston and crank issues, the new YFZR breaks frames, racing you are going to break stuff....ALL THAT SAID, if you are a racer atleast with can-am you have a shot at getting paid, if you're fast, paid well too !! There was a rider in NEATV last season that landed $20k PLUS in contingencies.

I just want to get an idea of what to look for while I am shopping around for
one.

m0t0xk1d----do you race NEATV ??

m0t0xk1d
12-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I do actually. Im 16 so i will be just coming out of the 200/300 B class. Im going into production b and 4 stroke b for the chance that money is there.

and your correct all bikes have issues of some sort. the can ams can be fixed and once done properly are just as good as any other bike. a couple things to get would be are the bcs frame reinforcement and the bcs clutch basket. cut the plastics near the gastank. not the actual fenders but the black pieces( you cn find tons of ictues online) to keep the gas from boiling. something to help would also be the cv4 gas tank heat reflectant "bag". that helps with heat also. Talk to Blaster99 he races neatv and has quite a bit of luck with these quads.

motox_rider695
12-23-2010, 09:39 PM
this article will help out a lot on what to do

http://www.off-road.com/atv/project/project-ds450-mx-prep-for-racing-in-advanced-classes-28040.html

450Rida
01-28-2011, 10:36 PM
the only problem ive had was bent the axle, but flat landed off my freestyle ramp. and ya put the heat insulator on the bottom of your tank

ds19
02-01-2011, 08:27 AM
I have had my ds since august and it has I think 4 races on it and nothing major has broken. My grab bar wiggles up and down about 3 inches and I bent the stock axel the first day I rode it but It has been a great machine so far... Im looking forward to next season.

scotturban
02-01-2011, 10:51 AM
everything has held up good so far on ours, except stock axle which was bent on first day, we mx race

Wired
02-01-2011, 03:38 PM
buy one you'll love it! I've had way less problems with all my DS's than i had with my YFZ. so glad i dont have to deal with those old fossils anymore haha

525outlawrider
02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
My son races Motocross on the Can am
the practice bike is an 09 XMX w/ over 250 hours of abuse on the stock engine ,
original piston,head, and gasket ,3 sets of tires, had the shocks reworked 3 times, a torn seat, and 3 steering stems and handlebar sets , a couple of sets of plastic s , 3 batteries, a battery box ,4 sets of nerf bars ..... 2 rectifiers and 1 stator
Id say it is the best bike we have ever owned