PDA

View Full Version : Silverado headlights

atvnut22
12-20-2010, 07:28 PM
I got a 05 silverado with stock lights. When they're turned on the have a yellowish tint. I have been wanting to trade the truck for something but still like fiddling with it while I have it. O was wanting to put the white or blue halogen like lights on it but some people have told me I need new headlight assemblies and others have said I just need bulbs like silverstars or something. Id like to keep the stock assemblies cause they are clear, and have a good look that isn't cheap looking like some of the aftermarkets. Here's my truck to give you and idea of the headlights I have. It's the black lowered truck.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31424863&l=860ecde163&id=1513866158

Kickstarts-suck
12-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Get some HIDs.

I have HID headlight and fog lights.

I will never go back to standard halogen lights.

Ive also put HIDs in an 07 tahoe and 07 mustang and bought some for my mom for Christmas this year.

HIDs are sooo cheap now.

I paid $88 each kit almost 2 years ago... Now DDM sells them for $25 a kit....

atvnut22
12-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Where do I get them? And it's just the bulb right?

Kickstarts-suck
12-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by atvnut22
Where do I get them? And it's just the bulb right?

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Apexcone-Raptor-HID-Kit

No it is not just a bulb. HIDs have HID bulbs, ballast, and wiring.

You will need a 9006 bulb, 35 watt, 6k color(what i recommend)

Here is a quick picture of mine. I have 8000K's

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5435/019sg.jpg (http://img249.imageshack.us/i/019sg.jpg/)

atvnut22
12-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the help man, I'm looking into them right now!

Kickstarts-suck
12-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the help man, I'm looking into them right now!

Np bud. You will love them. I posted a picture of mine in my previous post.

atvnut22
12-20-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm having trouble finding exactly what I need to go alog with the kit but I'm going to send ddm a message asking what they suggest I get. That way I know for sure the harness will work.

ridered11
12-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Please do not get blaring blue obnoxious lights, not only do they look cheap and ricy but they are annoying as hell.

Kickstarts-suck
12-21-2010, 02:31 AM
I'm having trouble finding exactly what I need to go alog with the kit but I'm going to send ddm a message asking what they suggest I get. That way I know for sure the harness will work.

I told you what you need.

"You will need a 9006 bulb, 35 watt, 6k color(what i recommend)"

trailrider894
12-21-2010, 08:08 AM
He is right... HID's are the answer. People like ridered11 are just jealous they can't afford a truck like yours.

motochamp250
12-21-2010, 08:48 AM
no, its the fact that everyone is putting these HID's in their vehicle with NO IDEA how to aim headlights and it blinds everyone in the opposite lane... i have no problem with people who aim them right and put them out of the opposing traffic's windshield... and they wonder why they get brightlighted all night :rolleyes:

CJM
12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by motochamp250
no, its the fact that everyone is putting these HID's in their vehicle with NO IDEA how to aim headlights and it blinds everyone in the opposite lane... i have no problem with people who aim them right and put them out of the opposing traffic's windshield... and they wonder why they get brightlighted all night :rolleyes:
Before I took them off I used to have 3 super bright KC lights on my truck. The idiots who didnt aim them lights got a nice flash from my KCs.

motochamp250
12-21-2010, 09:03 AM
+1 man :devil: they really just need to get in someone else's car and pass their vehicle maybe then they would see how bad it sucks :confused:

ridered11
12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
He is right... HID's are the answer. People like ridered11 are just jealous they can't afford a truck like yours.

Yeah jealous because I drive an IS350 that come stock with them? :huh

trailrider894
12-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by ridered11

uh... since when is that a truck. Man needless to say HID's are cool on those trucks when done right. DO it right!!

becci4
12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by ridered11

is350=glorified corolla!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Just messin around

bbender85
12-21-2010, 01:19 PM
im wondering how long it takes the people who buy the 8, 10, 12k HID's to realize how much usable light they're losing by having that stupid blue and/or purple tint. 4-5k is white with a very very slight yellow, but has the best lumen output.

CJM
12-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by bbender85
im wondering how long it takes the people who buy the 8, 10, 12k HID's to realize how much usable light they're losing by having that stupid blue and/or purple tint. 4-5k is white with a very very slight yellow, but has the best lumen output.

The answer is they dont know and dont care cause they think it looks cool. :p

ridered11
12-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by becci4
is350=glorified corolla!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Just messin around

I'll take my "glorified corolla" any day...

brian76708
12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by motochamp250

this is because the stock headlight enclosures are meant for halogen lights not HID and it does not spread the light correctly....

So please do not put hids in unless you get correct housing for them unless you want to blind everybody.

Kickstarts-suck
12-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Ive had mine almost 2 years and never been flashed or pulled over.

Ive been blinded by maybe 2 HID conversion vehicles that didnt take the 5 mins and re aim the headlights.

What I get blinded by is lifted trucks... They don't bother to re aim after lifting and blind everyone. Every night this happens to me. Annoying as chit.

motochamp250
12-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
this is because the stock headlight enclosures are meant for halogen lights not HID and it does not spread the light correctly....

So please do not put hids in unless you get correct housing for them unless you want to blind everybody.

exactly!

TCracin440ex
12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
best bang for the buck def is going to be a set of silverstar ultras. i put them in my highs and lows and love them. i dont see why the hell people put blue lights in their shyt when they actually arent bright at all and look tacky as hell.

yes hids are nice, but you need to get a projector style headlight housing and retro fit the hid bulbs in. go on fsc or gmfs and see there is a few guys on there that as actually retrofitted a projector into some factory style headlight housings

here is a good thread on fsc with alot of hid answers

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/exterior-tech/459515-your-hid-questions-answered-here.html

here is another good thread of a retrofitted hid kit
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/tech-articles/274845-hid-upgrade-right-way.html

also if you are having a problem with lighting you might want to look into the 4hi mod which allows all 4 headlights to be on both low and highbeam when the highbeams are on. well worth it imo and produces that much more light

brian76708
12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
best bang for the buck def is going to be a set of silverstar ultras. i put them in my highs and lows and love them. i dont see why the hell people put blue lights in their shyt when they actually arent bright at all and look tacky as hell.

yes hids are nice, but you need to get a projector style headlight housing and retro fit the hid bulbs in. go on fsc or gmfs and see there is a few guys on there that as actually retrofitted a projector into some factory style headlight housings

here is a good thread on fsc with alot of hid answers

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/exterior-tech/459515-your-hid-questions-answered-here.html

here is another good thread of a retrofitted hid kit
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/tech-articles/274845-hid-upgrade-right-way.html

also if you are having a problem with lighting you might want to look into the 4hi mod which allows all 4 headlights to be on both low and highbeam when the highbeams are on. well worth it imo and produces that much more light

great info im not sure if the full size trucks use the same bulbs as the s10 but another good bulb is the Toshiba HIR's I have been very happy with them although you do have to do some modifying to the bulb to make it fit which was easy and if you buy them from the site below he even marks were to

http://hirheadlights.com/

TCracin440ex
12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
the fsc uses a 9006 low beam and a 9005 high beam

brian76708
12-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
the fsc uses a 9006 low beam and a 9005 high beam

yeah then the hir's will work with a little modification.

TCracin440ex
12-21-2010, 02:31 PM
and no offence to anybody on this forum, but if i was looking for advice for my truck i wouldnt consult an atv forum. there is many truck forums out there full of information regarding your truck. once again no offence to anybody on here because there are a few on here that know what they are talking about. but others on here im not so sure

atvnut if i was you id register to fullsizechevy.com and/or gmfullsize.com. i personally like fullsizechevy.com

TCracin440ex
12-21-2010, 02:45 PM
nother good retro fit thread here

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/exterior-tech/387921-blackknights-hid-retrofit-starts-here.html