View Full Version : 4x4 guys i need help

woodsracer144
12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
hey i need some help from the off road guys with muddin crawling all that stuff...

I got a 86F350CC long box. would a 8000pound winch be enough for that truck? i got the truck stuck bad and i was looking at this winch its a ramsey also. I think or hope this will get the job done.

thanks

bbender85
12-20-2010, 10:23 AM
based on my -limited- winch knowledge i'd think you'd want a 10 or 12k with that much truck. i'll be interested to see what others think.

CJM
12-20-2010, 11:22 AM
No, 12k winch is what you need. You would sooner burn up an 8 or 10 with ease cause of the weight of that truck.

If its stuck your gonna need more than a winch, find some guys with some big trucks-if possible diesels and some tow chains, straps, etc and go to town. Read on the net how to rig it properly (DONT ATTACH THE STUFF TO THE AXLE! TO THE FRAME ALWAYS!!!!) That winch aint gonna save ya by any chance if your already stuck.

woodsracer144
12-20-2010, 01:08 PM
dang. I was hoping this one would get the job done. its 300 bucks. new cable guy just wants to get rid of it.

how much would that truck weigh? 7500?

fastredrider44
12-20-2010, 03:09 PM
That winch would be plenty, as long as you made short pulls and had the truck helping it. If the truck isn't spinning and helping, kiss the winch motor goodbye.

wilkin250r
12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
If you wanted to get fancy with it, you can rig up a system of pulleys to get more capability out of your winch. There's an obvious trade-off, you can get twice as much pulling power, but only half the speed.

It's certainly possibly to lift over 20,000 lbs with a 8,000 lbs winch. However, the added cost of the pulleys might not make it such a good deal...

CJM
12-20-2010, 04:15 PM
main problem is such a heavy truck with a winch thats only 2000lbs rated more than the weight of the truck (and thats being generous) is gonna strain and burnt he motor up after only a few uses. In which case then you just wasted coin.

Is it stuck now? I can offer rigging advice.

hondariderdylan
12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
1 ton crew cab long bed? 8k ramsey somebody just wants to "get rid of"? I would say 10k at least, thats basically the biggest "light truck" you could buy in 86.

Look at your VIN, go to the 4th letter. If it is an H then the GVW class is 8,501 to 9k pounds. If its a J then the GVW is going to be 9,001 to 10K. I would put my money on it being a J.

And you have to take into consideration extra weight on the truck. If the bed is loaded down with all your stuff, you have 4 of your buddies inside and your up to the top of the tires in mud then your truck is going to take ALOT power to pull than a unloaded truck would on solid ground.

woodsracer144
12-21-2010, 01:30 AM
truck is in the snow now. its in a drift. I have about a 150-200 feet of 3/4in cable with 3 inch hooks on it dad used it pulling tractors out. then i have several chains. and then this winch has 150 Feet of 5/16 steel cable thats almost new

the guy had it on a Cj7 and sold all the jeep stuff this is the last thing he has and its been on the shelf for a while now. he just wants to get rid of it.

this is the only real time i would use it to pull this truck out. other wise i would just skid logs out of the woods to get them on a trail.

I need all and any help i could get on getting this out.

If you think of 2 very light inclined hills its in the valley of the two. its not very deep valley. normally never gets this deep here but i was a dumb *** and didnt think about the 2 feet of snow we just got and its stuck now. when i try to back up the incline i back towards has a slight slope to the right when sitting in the truck so i shovel out a bunch of snow then slide over when i just shoveled and then do it again and then said **** YOU! I'm buying a winch or getting a BFT ( big ****ing tractor) and yanking your *** out!

CJM
12-21-2010, 05:31 AM
a tractor would work best. You could try the winch, but about all you can do is spool out 80% of the line and wrap it around a tree and come back and that should help you double the pulling power for a bit. Really should use a tree strap and pulley if you can get them too.

woodsracer144
12-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Im about 300 feet to the plowed trail so i was going to put that winch out some and then use them chains and cables and then have another truck out on the trail and pull my self to it. The tractor i own is a IH 460 gas and the tires are kinda bald. I have a set of tire chains but i dont think it will help me. Its also a narrow front so i think it would have a hard time in the snow.

my cousin has a Magnum with front wheel assist. worst case i would call him up and have him give me a tough. and then give him a case of beer or something for it...

CJM
12-21-2010, 12:03 PM
You cant find a single person to come yank you out? Your making it alot harder on yourself really.

Also, unless you got a receiver or something up front that winch is gonna yank your bumper off unless you got something solid. The stock bumper aint solid lol.

Not much more I can offer. I would try and find some guys to yank ya out. 2 chains on at least 1/2 ton trucks 1 of each connected to you and you in your truck in 4wd lo trying to get out.

You did air down your tires right?

TCracin440ex
12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
as bad as it is to say we need pics of this shenanigans

woodsracer144
12-21-2010, 11:47 PM
none of my buddys that have trucks have good tires and i think would get stuck on the way out there...

I would ask dad but hes not the healthiest person and i dont want him out there... I dont drive the truck everyday i have a ranger thats my DD this one is just my hauler so im not really in a rush to get it out but it would be nice to... I'm gonna try having my cousin come out and give me a yank i think

CJM
12-22-2010, 08:20 AM
That would probably your best bet aside from finding a good tractor someone can yank you out with.

bens250ex
12-22-2010, 08:42 AM
i would not buy anything less than a 12k for my f-250, just for the fact that the motor will just burn up possible the first time you use it. Winches can be a freakin nightmare

woodsracer144
12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
well i finally got it out. there were a few foul words between my old man and me and a 886 IH.

CJM
12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
well i finally got it out. there were a few foul words between my old man and me and a 886 IH.

Told ya the tractor was key :)