PDA

View Full Version : 50cc winter project

xtremeatv
12-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Ok my youngest daughter wants to race with her big sister so we are putting together a quad for her. She is only 3 so we wanted a real slow quad for her to start out so we picked up a Kolpin 50 for 400 bucks. Its very similar to a predator 50 but has some annoying differences.

Anyways i need to fix this up to make it safer for her to race. My biggest concern is it staying on all 4 wheels and her ability to stop it.

This machine has screwed up wheels all the way around, there are no rear hubs, the rim has the hub built in. However when you take them off i notice DRR hubs fit on it nicely. I plan on running DRR hubs, 2" spacers and 16" snow hogs on the rear.

The front wheels are tiny and have the old drum cable brakes in the front. They have a screwed up front pattern though, gotta be 4/80 or so. Looks like predator or eton front brake assemblies will bolt right on. Not sure what i am going to run in the front, a friend suggested i run 16" snow hogs in the front as well. My only concern there is the machine may not steer very well with them. It may be fine she will only be hitting 10-15 mph tops. I would run larger tires meant as fronts but this machine is real small and i think i may have clearance issues as well as it looking real weird. Ill probably run 1.5 inch spacers in the front.

I have installed 2" rox risers to raise the bars up. I dont want her going headfirst over this thing if something goes wrong or if she slams the brakes to hard.

I also want to convert the rear cable disc brake to a hydraulic system. I dont think it is going to be hard. ive got a dinli brake rotor and hub that looks like it will fit the axle. The dinli rotor is the same size as drr but the hub is smaller. Ill need to find a DRR brake caliper bracket so i can mount a caliper up on this thing. The bearing carrier isnt as wide as a typical mini but the mount points and dimensions are the same other than the width. im fairly confident the DRR bracket will bolt right on then all i would have to do is mount the caliper, run the hose and mount the master cylinder to the bars. Im sure ill need to get an adjustable brake lever then since her hands are pretty small.

I would like to put nerf bars on this thing but the plastic foot boards will be ok. I dont think im gonna find any nerf bars that will work on this thing anyways.

After all that is done ill put some fancy custom decals on it and call it good.

Basically i wanna make this as safe as i can for my little girl until she gets some track time in and then ill move her up to a drr.

If any of you guys have suggestions ill be glad to hear them.

I am also looking for a DRR rear caliper bracket for this thing, if any of you have one let me know. An eton bracket will be just fine too. if you got any other parts that you think i could use let me know. Im not looking for go fast stuff though. Anything to improve safety, handling, or looks. I also need a left adjustable brake lever if anyone has one cheap.

xtremeatv
12-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Heres a pic of the rear cable brake assy that i want to convert to a hydraulic. Ill have to put the bigger rotor on and put a drr or eton caliper bracket on but i think it will be all bolt on and go if i can find the parts.

I got an 18" snow hog with a 2"spacer on just to see right now. Ill be taking the 18 off later and putting on some new 16s in the rear. Havent decided on the fronts yet.

JIM GRACE
12-20-2010, 11:32 AM
You can run snow hogs all the way around and it will be very stable in the turns. We ran our single a arm 50 that way and it would slide around turns and not 2 wheel