PDA

View Full Version : Engine and frame questions

MtnEX
12-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Does this frame need stripped and gussets for XC?

What kind of service life are you guys getting on TRX engines?

My buddies don't seem to be having great luck with the motors... dunno if it is their maintenance, or lack there of... or winding them too high... or if it's just normal to have to go in often.

Miguel1994
12-20-2010, 02:44 AM
I think you should never opne your motor, just run it stock and get some oil and filter change.

Once you strip out the motor it will not be as reliable as it was before.

DnB_racing
12-20-2010, 06:09 AM
they can be very reliable, like Miguel said if you properly maintain it!! and the frame will last if your suspension is properly tuned and maintained,

but Im personally not a good enough rider to be competitive with a stock motor,I need every bit of help I can get!! as such I am always upgrading my motor. but it is still reliable, but the tolerances get a little bit tighter for the higher performance, and I service it every winter to keep it fresh and tight!

Scro
12-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Miguel1994
I think you should never opne your motor, just run it stock and get some oil and filter change.

Once you strip out the motor it will not be as reliable as it was before.

Taking the motor apart doesn't make it any less reliable. However, the parts you choose to use can. You don't want to build a 500+ big bore, stroker motor for a 2 hour race. But, just replacing with an aftermarket piston and mild cam can be just as reliable as stock. Gusseting or not is really based on your riding style. I know some people that have to weld on their frames after every race, and I rarely develop any cracks. I would go ahead and gusset it though. It can't really hurt anything. Be sure you get a kit that addresses the upper subframe mounting points. The bolt is prone to loosen and/or break off in the middle of a race.