PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing....

NMills
12-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey guys.... BIG question... I'd post this in the Body section.... but i want a 400ex Owners opinion...

I have a Yellow 04 400ex....
I am tearing it down this winter.... gonna clean it up... and figured i'd paint/powdercoat the machine... What colors are best????
Should i do different parts different colors???
Rims?
Swingarm?
frame?
Subframe?
A-arms?
hubs?

Is it possible to paint the engine? or will that affect cooling??? Or shoudl i just polish the top end and paint the bottom section???

I'm sure i'll see some interesting ideas.... send pics if you've done it...

also... best way to make plastics look new???

Thanks guys...

dr qwerty
12-19-2010, 08:17 PM
My Rule
ONLY VERY FAST/CRAZY riders can do crazy lound colors with no real matching needed...IMO

rubbersdown
12-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I prefer frame, subframe, a arms, swingarm, hubs and even nerfs to all be one color. Then match your plastics, wheels (usually just beadlock rings) and your nerf nets. I like it that way but I usually just build them to sell them and people seem to like the color scheme so I do it religiously. As for color I am a big fan of Black/blue, black/red or black/white type combos but im a pretty dark cat lol.
110% go with powdercoat and not paint though, its worth the money in the long run. and a word to the wise, think of sun fade too, red powder and red paint eventually fade to pink...just something to keep in mind lol.

UnderFire
12-19-2010, 08:35 PM
What colors are best - With yellow plastics the best colors are blue or red in my opinion, but it's personal preference
Should i do different parts different

Rims - leave them polished or get a set of beadlocks with colored rings to match

make all the suspension stuff the same color, and maybe the hubs yellow, otherwise it looks strange.

Is it possible to paint the engine - Yes with high temp paint

will that affect cooling- Not that i know of

shoudl i just polish the top end and paint the bottom section - that would look nice, still a personal preference

If you are going to change the color of the plastics the color combinations are endless, so you could have white/red or pink/purple or even a straight rainbow.