PDA

View Full Version : front caliper rebuild?

omeeomy
12-19-2010, 07:13 PM
does sny one know if you can rebuild the front calipers?
if so were do you get the parts?
and how much?

omeeomy
12-19-2010, 07:23 PM
plus any ideas on how to get the pin bolts out easier id like to know
dont think these have ever been out lol
tried heat but didnt wanna put to much on it
thanks

dr qwerty
12-19-2010, 07:56 PM
buy used YFZ's off ebay, direct bolt up and has two what are those things called pushing versus one, so for about 100.00 you get twice the stopping power.

rubbersdown
12-19-2010, 08:06 PM
You can "rebuild" them. There is just 2 seals inside when you pop the piston out. They are only $8 for the set at the dealer or on line (motosport, bikebandit etc etc). Just undue the bleeder and shoot some compressed air in there and the piston will pop right out. Just dont use a lot of air and make sure you have your hand on the piston because it doesnt take much to shoot that sucker across your garage. As far as the pins, they usually come out pretty easy but if not just use an impact on them, to take them off anyway, dear god dont use an impact to put them back in lol.

omeeomy
12-20-2010, 05:51 AM
thanks guy ill keep all that in mind first gatta get the pad pin bolts out
i tried for an hour last nite

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
The YFZ Calipers have a Dual Piston braking system which allows for twice the stopping power and contact surface of the brake pads. With twice the contact surface and twice the stopping power, where can you go wrong?

rubbersdown
12-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
The YFZ Calipers have a Dual Piston braking system which allows for twice the stopping power and contact surface of the brake pads. With twice the contact surface and twice the stopping power, where can you go wrong?

do they bolt right up to the ex front end or you gotta use different brackets or what?

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
do they bolt right up to the ex front end or you gotta use different brackets or what? my understanding is that they are a direct bolt on.

hocman123
12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
if some one that knows for sure that it can just bolt up then i would be replaceing mine over the winter if its that simple

and what year to aim for would be good to know 2

CJM
12-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Pretty positive a guy on here put them on the front of his EX awhile back. Totally bolted up with no issues.

I do question how it really would be better tho. I have stock calipers, stainless lines and I barely have to touch the brake lever to get me to stop and it stops great with some EBC severe duty pads.

redzoomer
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Question about the YFZ brakes... is the 08 Raptor 700 brakes the same? I know they are dual piston. I looked up the parts numbers and the last few numbers are the same but the first couple are different.

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by redzoomer
Question about the YFZ brakes... is the 08 Raptor 700 brakes the same? I know they are dual piston. I looked up the parts numbers and the last few numbers are the same but the first couple are different.

I would not take the risk. I'll look my my two buddies YFZ and 700 and see. But i really doubt that they are the same. I think i remeber them being different. I think the mounts are different.

redzoomer
12-20-2010, 06:32 PM
I would not take the risk. I'll look my my two buddies YFZ and 700 and see. But i really doubt that they are the same. I think i remeber them being different. I think the mounts are different.
Thanks, I want to be sure before I buy the wrong thing.

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by redzoomer
Thanks, I want to be sure before I buy the wrong thing.

Then be safe and buy what people have tested... not something different.

redzoomer
12-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Then be safe and buy what people have tested... not something different.

I did just that. I bought a pair of YFZ calipers on ebay!