PDA

View Full Version : shocks, 125-135lbs rider....

hawaiianbasshed
12-19-2010, 11:15 AM
so, I don't weight alot and I was thinking if I get a set of stock revalves for like $200 for fronts and 100 for the rear, problem is "front shocks rebuilt by gtthunder for trails and xc for 175lb rider" and the rear is "revalved and resprung rear shock for mx. 165-185 lbs rider"

so, I suppose my question is, how big of a deal is it that the fronts are for XC/trail? I don't mind that they're both valved/sprung for a larger rider because at least they'll be softer lol. plus if I case it, will be a little less likely to bottom out shocks I was thinkin.

I ride both track and trail an haven't gotten to the point where I jump large stuff. the biggest jump I hope to get this year is a 60' table top. and that's not like RIGHT AWAY but more over time lol.

I read XC are softer sprung and rely on valving. is there anything like bumpstops removed or something that will cause them to break if I case a double or something?

I'm basically getting the cheapest lighter weight used revalves I can find. I hope to upgrade to long travel eventually but we're trying to buy a house so trying not to blow wads of cash that I don't really have...

also does anyone know what stock LTR450s are sprung/valved for? my one buddy said he thinks like 220 or 240 or something... thanks for any help guys!

Tom

trailrider894
12-29-2010, 08:38 AM
No, nothing is removed from the shock that will make you bottom faster. I would not recommend running XC setup on an MX track... Pick one, or don't set up the bike for either. Race Tech and C&D can setup your suspesion for your weight.

hawaiianbasshed
01-02-2011, 02:16 AM
so what what about trx or yfz shocks would either of those fit an LTR? seem like more of those around for cheap :)

fearlessfred
01-02-2011, 03:08 AM
if you have not already bought anything , i would have the stockers resprung and valved for mx,in my opinion the mx setup will make you faster in the long run. i would not mix and match. every change you make on one end has a small effect on the other. you will be much happer with a proffessional shop doing the hole thing as a package and it will be cheaper in the long run,even if you can only afford to do one end at a time use the same shop and tell them what your plans are

hawaiianbasshed
01-02-2011, 12:49 PM
yeah, I see alot of yfz and trx stuff around the forums an ebay, so I was thinking of trying to find some the same length and see if they can work on the LTR. I found a set of LTR revalved shocks by hygear but don't know much about them. they are the higher end revalves front and rear. the rear needs a bladder. not sure what else could get worse but I was thinking of trying to get some TCS or PEP shocks from like a yfz or trx to work on the LTR. get them used for super cheap and send them in for a service to get them valved for me :D but leave the springs at 185lbs?

what is the difference in spring weights from a shock setup for 185 and one setup for 150? the majority of stuff I've found is setup for 185 but I'm 125-130 without gear so figure with my tech 9s, padded shorts, pants, jersey, roost guard I'm probably about 150. when I get my full body armor and neck brace probably more. and I'm gonna start working out again and will gain at least 10lbs... so 185 would probably be ok once I get my full body armor/neck brace and am working out :) maybe I should leave the valving even?

I've been thinking of trying the hygear rear (worst case) if not maybe a PEP or TCS rear off another bike (will send it in for whatever I decide) I'm not interested in sending in the ones off my bike as I don't have spares.

I will get dual rear and triple front if I can what ever I end up getting so at least I don't need to pay for springs again in the end. just have my new used stuff rebuilt...

dustin_j
01-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Have you tried adjusting your stockers? I bet you'll be able to get your stock shocks to work better than any of the shocks you're currently looking at. When you start mixing and matching you're likely to end up with a worse setup than you started with. Listen to Fred!

Springs are chosen to give appropriate race sag and ride height for a given weight quad and rider. Take a stock LTR. You'll want your race sag to be 45-55% and your front frame height about .25" higher than the rear. Now let's say an LTR is setup for a 180 pound rider to give the specs above. Now you get on. You don't weigh enough to compress the springs to the desired sag and ride height. The quad will probably feel very top heavy in the corners, and you probably won't use all of the available travel. Now a 230 pound person gets on the same quad. Their sag and ride height are going to be the opposite of you. They won't have a lot of travel available and will bottom out on whoops, jump faces, etc. There's a lot to spring choice, but hopefully this helps some. Valving is very much related to spring rate, as it is used to control the potential (stored) energy of the spring in rebound, and assist the spring in compression. This is a general explanation, but the two are very much related. I hope this helps.

dustin_j
01-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I just noticed you're from Hawaii (even though it's in your name, haha). If you are able to find revalves done by someone else, you can get them and send them back to be setup for you. Depending on who did them, you might get some goodies that you won't have to pay for. Do the Hygear shocks have the H/L adjusters on them? I've wondered how well these work.

hawaiianbasshed
01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah, hi-lo. I was watching it for a while since the last time it was listed an some azzhat scouped it from under me :( but I'm hoping to get a pep full setup or float fronts pep rear. Maybe even custom valved elkas. I prefer pep or tcs over elka. But eh... beggers cant be choosers

ds19
01-30-2011, 07:15 PM
did you consider fox floats. You can get them for the same price as peps then run less air since your only about 140 pounds

hawaiianbasshed
01-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Floats are at the top of my list. But price puts them to the bottom for now out of used shox. I see pep n others for cheap but if I were to take into account revalving/springing the floats rank even higher per dollar. Another downside is more money for arms. LT is great but innitial price is harder to swing :( yeah, ideally floats would be my choice

ds19
01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Ive seen floats for 450rs for 600$ and thats really cheap.