PDA

View Full Version : Engine and Frame Painting Help?

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 04:59 PM
hey guys, i am painting my ATV frame and engine. I am going to be using a VHT Epoxy Spray paint for the frame and just ceramic engine paint for the engine. I realize that PC is super durable and what not... I am not PC ing anything because of cost and time reasons. I am wondering what all i need to do to prep the frame and engine for the paint? Should i use primer? and if so what kind? and how many layers of the primer, paint, and clear coat? I am also wondering how many cans of each i should get, because the paint is costly and i don't want to waste any. Thanks a bunch!!!

Pipeless416
12-18-2010, 05:21 PM
speaking from experience.. i wish i never painted the engine. i should have just done it right the first time. everything is PC now though, so its ok.

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
speaking from experience.. i wish i never painted the engine. i should have just done it right the first time. everything is PC now though, so its ok.

What was your painting method? I am looking for help here... I said i can't afford the PC. This bike never get ridden except on the MX track and thats it.

Pipeless416
12-18-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287739&highlight=painted+the+engine

the problem wasn't chipping, so just riding mx doesn't really change anything. the problem is dirt burning onto the paint and staining. i would seriously consider holding off until you can afford the ~$50 to have the cases powdercoated.. you may end up really regretting it.

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 10:47 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287739&highlight=painted+the+engine

the problem wasn't chipping, so just riding mx doesn't really change anything. the problem is dirt burning onto the paint and staining. i would seriously consider holding off until you can afford the ~$50 to have the cases powdercoated.. you may end up really regretting it.

Yeah... I might hold off on the engine for now. I am still painting the frame though. I found an Epoxy by Eastwood that is called EXTREME Chassis that i am gonna use. Spray it on with my auto sprayer. What clear coat should i use?

Pipeless416
12-18-2010, 10:52 PM
holding off on the engine but still painting the frame is a good decision. i have never had any complaints about just using rustoleum with no clear because its easy to touch up that way. i can't comment on the type of paint you're wanting to use because i don't have any experience with it. hopefully somebody can chime in.

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 11:07 PM
holding off on the engine but still painting the frame is a good decision. i have never had any complaints about just using rustoleum with no clear because its easy to touch up that way. i can't comment on the type of paint you're wanting to use because i don't have any experience with it. hopefully somebody can chime in.

thanks!! Think about just polishing side cases for now. What should i do about the case it self?? I would like it painted also... but i don't know if its even possible...

trailrider894
12-19-2010, 05:58 AM
What should my prep consist of?

trailrider894
12-24-2010, 12:00 AM
BTW going with POR-15 Hardnose. I am gonna brush it on. Just wondering what clear coat to use?