PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise!!!

KFXFreak
12-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Okay, I am fixing my wifes 300ex up some for X-mas and I just put a timing chain in it to start with. I then adjusted the valves to .004 intake and exhaust. It start right up and runs perfect but there is a rattle sound coming from it. Its not like a peck or knock quite but a rattle.

Can worn cam chain guides cause alot of noise like that? I have some laying around from a 250x I will try in it and see what happens. They look perfectly fine.

Also Has anyone ever made there own gasket for the rocker cover? I am tired of oil seeping out of there, I used silicone gasket maker on it too. I have made quite a few of my own gaskets from soft drink box's and they worked as good as any and better than some,.

If you guys need me to get a video of it let me know. I am on a short time frame to get it all done before x-mas.

dman66
12-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Do not use silicone!!!!!!!! Usually we think were putting it on thin enough, but that silicone will eventually loosen up and fall throughout the engine making its way through oil passages and eventually clogging the oil screen. USE HONDA BOND!!!!!!! Ive' used a permatex motorcycle gasket maker,purchased it from local auto parts store. I've also used YAMA BOND. When you apply just like directions tell you, the stuff works great!!!!!Trick is, do'nt use too much!!!! A thin coating on head or rocker cover only,let it cure for 15 minutes, and put parts back together,let parts sit overnight, and fire her up the next day. Too much of any gasket maker will cause engine particle problems, but Honda/yama bond seems to dry well and stick to metal of the engine, and it does not peel off easilly once cured.I use it all the time. If you put in a new cam chain, I would plan on checking your engine oil screen after a couple of times out riding the quad. New cam chains can wear down the cam guides and also clog the oil screen - cheap insurance.

KFXFreak
12-17-2010, 04:41 PM
The stuff I used once it cures gets hard like what you are talking about. I am going to pull the topend and clutch cover back off and check everything. Going to change the guides also. Gotta get this thing ready to go motor wise so I can put the finishing touches to it looks wise.

dman66
12-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah,sucks that you gotta pull things back apart, but then you'll have peace of mind knowing whats going on. Also check your cam chain tensioner to see if it could be hanging up while engine is running causing slight slack in cam chain tension.If you figure it out, post back.