PDA

View Full Version : MY OFFICIAL MX 400ex Rebuild Thread!!!

Pages : [1] 2

trailrider894
12-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey guys!!! SO EXCITED!! It starts today!! I am posting this then heading to the shop to take pictures and start the tear down!! ha ha !! Wow... i feel like a little kid again. Here's whats on my list...

Painting the frame, hubs, swingarm, engine, calipers, etc... Black and red is my scheme. I realize i will get slammed for not doing powdercoat, but this is just to get me by until i can have the time to allow for the frame to be out. MX practice starts in a month so i don't have that kind of time to get it all out and send it out and get it all back together.

I am replacing all the bearings, bushings, seals on the chassis. With all Pivot Works bearings. I get good deals with PW.

I am getting my front and rear suspension re-built and revalved by Race Tech. I also plan on getting the GTT MX Link. If somebodies got one they wanna sell PM me i'll buy it!!

450r swingarm, i am still very very confused on whether or not the 400ex carrier can be used... I just bought an expensive aftermarket axle for my EX and i don't wanna buy another one for a 450r if i have to use that carrier. Any help here?

DWT Championship in a box wheels kit, with Razr MX.

New sprockets, CJM said 14/38 or 39. what do you guys think?

Depending on how the funds add up, i would like to do the following to the engine...

426cc 11:1

Stage 2 Hotcam

MX P&P Job by C&D if they do those? and anybody know there cost?

450r Carb.

A possibility i might try the Motoworks SR4 Exhaust.

Anyhow, i'll get you guys some pics up of before and as i tear down. This thread i am hoping should be epic.

rubbersdown
12-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Hey guys!!! SO EXCITED!! It starts today!! I am posting this then heading to the shop to take pictures and start the tear down!! ha ha !! Wow... i feel like a little kid again. Here's whats on my list...

Painting the frame, hubs, swingarm, engine, calipers, etc... Black and red is my scheme. I realize i will get slammed for not doing powdercoat, but this is just to get me by until i can have the time to allow for the frame to be out. MX practice starts in a month so i don't have that kind of time to get it all out and send it out and get it all back together.

I am replacing all the bearings, bushings, seals on the chassis. With all Pivot Works bearings. I get good deals with PW.

I am getting my front and rear suspension re-built and revalved by Race Tech. I also plan on getting the GTT MX Link. If somebodies got one they wanna sell PM me i'll buy it!!

450r swingarm, i am still very very confused on whether or not the 400ex carrier can be used... I just bought an expensive aftermarket axle for my EX and i don't wanna buy another one for a 450r if i have to use that carrier. Any help here?

DWT Championship in a box wheels kit, with Razr MX.

New sprockets, CJM said 14/38 or 39. what do you guys think?

Depending on how the funds add up, i would like to do the following to the engine...

426cc 11:1

Stage 2 Hotcam

MX P&P Job by C&D if they do those? and anybody know there cost?

450r Carb.

A possibility i might try the Motoworks SR4 Exhaust.

Anyhow, i'll get you guys some pics up of before and as i tear down. This thread i am hoping should be epic.

As far as I hear every part of the 400ex arm will bolt right onto the 450r swinger. Dunno if you saw this thread or not but this guy did it. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=409824

Also, just my opinion on a couple things... if time and not money is the reason for not powdercoating id highly recommend just doing it, it really doesnt take long, any descent shop should let you drop your frame off on mon and pick it up on wed or thursday at the latest.
Another thing, if your going to be getting a 450r carb I have to recommend the 06+ 450r which is the fcr. You can also get it from damn near any mx bike from the last 5-6 years or so. its a GREAT carb and highly tuneable compared to the 05 and earlier 450r's as they have no good way to adjust the AP sense they dont have leakjets.
Build sounds like its going to be a blast either way! good luck!

trailrider894
12-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Money also plays a part in the powder coating... all the people around here want hundreds for powedercoating... >.>

dustin_j
12-17-2010, 10:53 AM
You can use a 400ex carrier in a 450r swingarm. The ex carrier is 1/8" wider, so install it with the gap on the sprocket side and the rotor side tight. M@ul Tech ATV sells spacers pretty cheap if you'd like to take up the space.

I wonder if RaceTech has done a revalve for a GTT Link? Hopefully it works well for you. Are they using Gold Valves?

trailrider894
12-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j
You can use a 400ex carrier in a 450r swingarm. The ex carrier is 1/8" wider, so install it with the gap on the sprocket side and the rotor side tight. M@ul Tech ATV sells spacers pretty cheap if you'd like to take up the space.

I wonder if RaceTech has done a revalve for a GTT Link? Hopefully it works well for you. Are they using Gold Valves?

Yep they are. I am not sure either. If they havent i will just stick with the stock once and hope they compensate for the notorious 400ex bucking problem

hocman123
12-17-2010, 08:52 PM
14/38 sounds good depending on the tire size but to help u make up ur mind use this http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm

trailrider894
12-17-2010, 09:12 PM
18" tire. lol

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 12:54 AM
wow.... swingarm pivot bolt = no fun... any ideas?

AtvKid4Eva
12-18-2010, 05:11 AM
wow.... swingarm pivot bolt = no fun... any ideas?

yeah they usually get frozen inside the spacers..try heat or as a last resort your gonna have to cut it out :ermm:

hocman123
12-18-2010, 05:43 AM
i would suggest setting the atv on its side getting a can of bp blaster and spray the bolt all over for at least 2 days twice a day then get a 10 lb or 5lb mine slege and a good punch and go to town. o a air hammer will be best if u have it.

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I will be cutting out the swing arm bolt... there is no way its gonna come out... It will be quicker to just cut it out because the bolt is ruined at this point anyway.

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Where exactly am i supposed to cut it ?

evan402
12-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
i would suggest setting the atv on its side getting a can of bp blaster and spray the bolt all over for at least 2 days twice a day then get a 10 lb or 5lb mine slege and a good punch and go to town. o a air hammer will be best if u have it.

that...sounds like a helluva good time

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by evan402
that...sounds like a helluva good time

I agree... I would rather just cut it out... I am gonna need a new bolt anyway. Its just easier...

hocman123
12-18-2010, 11:01 PM
well some times when u cut it out u hit the swing arm and ruined it but since u are replaceing it i wouldn't worry about it. i really did not want to get a new one. but proberly the best place to cut it would be to the right of the engine wear there is more bolt exposed. But u might have to cut it on both sides of the engine

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 11:08 PM
well some times when u cut it out u hit the swing arm and ruined it but since u are replaceing it i wouldn't worry about it. i really did not want to get a new one. but proberly the best place to cut it would be to the right of the engine wear there is more bolt exposed. But u might have to cut it on both sides of the engine

okay. I would rather not injure the swingarm as of yet because i might be keeping it for awhile. Funds are small and i don't know how much i can put into it right now.

hocman123
12-18-2010, 11:11 PM
well then u might want to try slam it out first b/c i have heard of a lot of people hitting the swingarm when cutting it

also after soaking it try some heat from a torch before slaming it

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 11:13 PM
well then u might want to try slam it out first b/c i have heard of a lot of people hitting the swingarm when cutting it

also after soaking it try some heat from a torch before slaming it

yeah i have alot i can do to the quad while i am waiting for the PB blaster to set in... i'll shoot it with that stuff for a few days and then heat it up and shoot it again and give it a couple swings. I'm sure i can get it out if i try long enough. I might set it up on its side since everything is off except the motor.

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Here is a before pic, back when i could actually ride it in nice weather!! what you don't see right now, is the MX track that i built in the background after the photo was taken. :) The fence is gone and extended out a bunch!!!

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Updated-ATV/007.jpg

Here she is in the shop ( this is a cell phone pic, sorry for the quality. I can't find the USB cord for my real camera...)

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0312.jpg

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Got the, Electrical, airbox, carb, gas tank, subframe, brakes, oil tank and lines, removed today. Gonna be a bigger day on monday. Hopefully gonna get the rest of the motor mounts, and MISC junk out of the way. Gotta get the swingarm bolt out then i'll be ready to bash out bearings, and strip the frame for painting!! Anybody have tips for striping powder coat?

trailrider894
12-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Got the, Electrical, airbox, carb, gas tank, subframe, brakes, oil tank and lines, removed today. Gonna be a bigger day on monday. Hopefully gonna get the rest of the motor mounts, and MISC junk out of the way. Gotta get the swingarm bolt out then i'll be ready to bash out bearings, and strip the frame for painting!! Anybody have tips for striping powder coat?

forgot exhaust also.

416racer
12-19-2010, 05:24 AM
If your not going to powder coat it, you might not want to strip the frame. That way if the new paint chips you still have good rust protection.

trailrider894
12-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Good point. Then what should my prep consist of?

hocman123
12-19-2010, 06:45 AM
well i would just sand they fram a little just to ruff up the surface a little. i would also suggest useing auto paint not home depo spray paint b/c the spray paint just will not hold up at all it will chip fast and offten, trust me i know. but i have a friend that got auto paint from pepboys for his 450r and it has held up great for a long time

CJM
12-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Sand down the frame, its a pita but must be done.

Spray with 2-3 coats of primer and do a final sand with a very fine grit like 600. Then spray 3-4 coats of automotive grade spraypaint. If you can get real auto paint you gotta mix and spray thats better. Then seal it with clear 2-3 coats. Should hold up good.

2001400exrida
12-19-2010, 11:50 AM
if you haven't already, get some lube on that swingarm pivot bolt. they dont' come out easily.

trailrider894
12-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
if you haven't already, get some lube on that swingarm pivot bolt. they dont' come out easily.

Just sprayed it with some stuff my dad got from the dealer he works at. He thinks it'll work. Its made to work when the bolt is heated up. So i just heated it up for a few minute and gonna go back out to the shop in a bit to check it.

trailrider894
12-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey, just managed to get the bolt to spin. What should i do now? Get somebody to beat on it while i spin it?

CJM
12-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Air hammer or electric one at least. But failing that a sledge and punch while someone spins it

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Well guys... MASSIVE BREAK THROUGH!!!! After heating up and hammering and banging and wd-40 and pb blaster and all that stuff, i even turned the quad on its side and used a 10 pound sludge hammer. Now i realize this is like product advertisement, but i don't even care. I used some Kal-Gard Chain Cote because i figured it's job is penetration and it foams so why not give it a try on this. I LIBERALLY sprayed every single part that is open enough to get to, and let it sit for a few minutes. I took 2lb sludge the size of a large hammer and hit the bolt 3 times and it moved over a half an inch... I was so suprised!!! So here is possibly the answer to all the problems of the stuck bolt. It might just be that these last few hits were the final blow, but i really think it was the Chain Kote.... here is a link to it.

http://www.kalgard.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=762780_OO717

I also got the rear suspension all taken apart. I'll post all my pics so far tonight.

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Everything is off and apart except the bearing carrier and axle, and the steering stem and tie rods, and front hub. Kinda did the order wrong on some things, but what ever... I'll know for next time. Pics are coming in a few hours.

2001400exrida
12-20-2010, 05:06 PM
did you get that swingarm pivot bolt out?

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Yep, it wasn't easy. See my post earlier on in the thread about it.

2001400exrida
12-20-2010, 05:32 PM
i saw you say that you moved it a little bit after 3 hits. So, i'll assume it just slid out after you got moved it about an inch?

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
i saw you say that you moved it a little bit after 3 hits. So, i'll assume it just slid out after you got moved it about an inch?

whoops... forgot i never said if i actually got it out. Yep it came right out with great ease after that!!! IT took me nearly as long to get out the lower front engine mount bolt as it did to get out the pivot bolt out.

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Here is my parts list.

Swingarm Bearing Kit

Steering Stem Bearing Kit

Front Hub Bearings

Swing Arm Pivot Bolt

Primer

Eastwood Extreme Chassis Glass Black Paint

Not sure what clear coat yet? Ideas?

DWT Rok Out 10x5 3:2 Front Wheels

DWT G2 8x8 Rear Wheels

Maxxis Razr MX wheels. or Goldspeed MX tires.

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Still no ideas on what clear coat to use?

Any tips on polishing the side cases? and cleaning the head and case? If i can't paint it yet i atleast wanna make it look nice.

PaRedneckRiders
12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Lets get some pics man.

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Really have been lacking on taking pictures... I am missing the phones from my real camera. I am home from college and let my brother borrow my camera to take some video of something. Of course the one time i do this he lost it. These are all cell pics, thats why they are so bad. HE WILL BE FINDING THE CAMERA TONIGHT!!! I'll upload the rest as soon as he finds it. I'll be taking more detailed pics for the rest of the build.

There are pics missing of the first stages, but here is some of what i did today.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0313.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0316.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0318.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0319.jpg

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Quick question, how much a power difference is to be had from a 11:1 426 vs a 10:1 426?

honda400ex2003
12-20-2010, 07:35 PM
a hp or two depending on the setup imo. maybe 2-3. i wouldnt think even that much if the setup is identical. just my opinion though, i have not tested 2 compressions on the same setup before. I have raced other with pretty much the same setups and more compression and beat them. hard to say really, i think a proper breakin would yield more power than different compression. steve

trailrider894
12-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey guys, got everything off the frame except the snap ring that holds the steering stem bearing in. Still haven't found that camera my brother lost. :( i'll get the pics up soon because he is going to find it!! Can anybody suggest a primer to use under POR-15 Hardnose Epoxy paint?

CJM
12-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I would suggest duplicolor primer and paint. Used it with great sucess. You need sandable primer, primer sealer, then your paint color. Want to make it sparkle kind, I would use some metal effex, it gives the appearance of a metallic finish and its a clear coat.

I would prime 1 layer, seal the primer, 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear.

BTW steering stem is held in by a snap ring and you need snap ring pliers. its a real pain to remove.

honda400ex2003
12-21-2010, 10:01 PM
not sure what to use under the por-15 but that is some cool stuff. it smooths nice and will be tough as nails when it dries hard. :D about the only way to get it off again though is with airplane stripper. lol steve

trailrider894
12-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Well, here is a few other questions? What kind of prep should i do before the primer? and how about painting it? I need to paint it outside because i don't have a paint room. The problem is that it is like 35f right now... I have it apart and can't wait for it to get warm... Can i spray it outside with this temperature then immediatly transfer it to warm room?

honda400ex2003
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
get it clean first before priming or it wont stick. no finger prints or anything on it. after you strip off everything that is on it, you will have to use thinner or other surface cleaner that is made to take off grease and dirt. then you will have to wear rubber gloves to keep it clean. imo i would find a body shop or something to spray it for you so that it can be baked correctly. it will stay cleaner too compared to doing it in a garage. it wont turn out nearly as good if you do it outside as it will inside but you will have to have decent air flow. i would never paint anything i wanted to look good outside. just my opinion on spraying though, i could never do a paint job that isnt fit for a showroom. lol i am anal with my cars too. steve

trailrider894
12-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
get it clean first before priming or it wont stick. no finger prints or anything on it. after you strip off everything that is on it, you will have to use thinner or other surface cleaner that is made to take off grease and dirt. then you will have to wear rubber gloves to keep it clean. imo i would find a body shop or something to spray it for you so that it can be baked correctly. it will stay cleaner too compared to doing it in a garage. it wont turn out nearly as good if you do it outside as it will inside but you will have to have decent air flow. i would never paint anything i wanted to look good outside. just my opinion on spraying though, i could never do a paint job that isnt fit for a showroom. lol i am anal with my cars too. steve

okay. Well i'm not to worried about how it looks. I really would rather not have to strip the frame... what are the alternatives? and if i do strip it what should i use? and what kind of primer? And one last question. Will the temperature affect anything? I can paint then immediatly take the frame inside to a extremely warm and moist room.

honda400ex2003
12-21-2010, 10:49 PM
you can scuff it good with some red scotch brite pads then clean is real well to get the primer to stick to it i would think. if i was going to strip a whole frame i would get airplane stripper from a car place like autozone and brush it on, let it sit then either wash it off or wipe it. however the directions say to do it for that part. sand blasting would be another good alternative, that is how i do mine when i have access to a blaster.

i cant really help on the temps, i would say it would take forever to dry but if you sprayed it outside and left out there but if moved it inside sort of quick it would dry ok. you dont want warm and moist though, warm and dry is the way to go. it will absorb the water out of the paint easier. that is if you are using water based paints and clear. lacquer is different and will need different conditions than water born paints will. I deal with mainly car paint that is water born and clear that is water born when i paint stuff so i like to do it on a warm day or in a booth to get it to dry quick. my dad has been in the car paint business for 30+ years so he usually paints it for me or tells me how to paint it. lol

steve

CJM
12-21-2010, 11:02 PM
You could spray it outside and move it indoors. Get a reddy heater or propane heater and it will dry fine.

Scuff with red scotchbrite or 400 grit sandpaper. Clean it off with something like acetone or xylene, then por15. Clean it off again with a tack rag (lint free rag) AFTER it has dried. Then go to town on paint. If your gonna use por15 im not sure (thinking on it) you will even need a primer. POR15 is some $$$ stuff, I personally would spray with rustoleum rust reformer (its a specific paint called rust reformer, dont confuse it with regular rustoleum) or duplicolor equivalent. I painted my toyota trucks frame with the rustoleum rust reformer and then i sprayed with stain black and had hardly any rust. I barely prepped it (if you count pressure washing and barely wiping down with acetone prepping) and its fine.

Most important of all, take your time. Light coats work much better than thick heavy coats. Since its cold I really recommend some kinda heater you can point at the atv to aid in paint drying and taking moisture out of the air.

Might want to ask these guys, its the duplicolor forums: http://anthonythomas.com/garage/forums/

honda400ex2003
12-21-2010, 11:07 PM
just for 6000 posts! Thanks exriders for taking up so much of my free time! lol steve

trailrider894
12-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the help guys!!! I posted on the Dupli-Color forum. We'll see what they have to say. :) congrats on the 6000 posts... i'm slowly making my way to 2000. lol This quad has been a big <3 in my life, and i know i couldn't have made it this far without you guys!!

trailrider894
12-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Hey guys!! UPDATE!!! Got my axle and front hubs dis-assembled and the steering stem bearing out!!! Ordered paint today, Por-15 Hardnose Gloss Black!! Time to start cleaning, de-greasing, and sanding my frame!!! I'll post up all the pics tommorrow night!! Got some pics tonight from the camera by bro finally found.!!

honda400ex2003
12-22-2010, 10:04 PM
sounds cool! let us know how that por-15 works out, i have seen it sprayed with spray guns, painted with brushes, and rolled on lol. lots of different ways to get it on there but it was in gallon containers when i saw it. is this stuff in cans or gallons? steve

trailrider894
12-22-2010, 10:06 PM
sounds cool! let us know how that por-15 works out, i have seen it sprayed with spray guns, painted with brushes, and rolled on lol. lots of different ways to get it on there but it was in gallon containers when i saw it. is this stuff in cans or gallons? steve

I am getting a qt of it... hoping this will be enough. I would spray it on but i can't spray it outside because it is too cold. I'll probably be brushing it on. We shall see... kinda nervous about it. Its a-lot of money to spend and have it fail.

honda400ex2003
12-22-2010, 10:26 PM
yeah it is, that stuff isnt cheap. lol it wont rust though lol. that is what we used it for, rust prevention after cleaning it up. we would spray that on, then dry it, then clean it up properly and spray over it with the correct color we wanted. worked slick actually, i have a spot i did on my car years ago with it and no rust yet. :D nothing like good prepping! steve

trailrider894
12-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey guys!!! Back from the holidays!!! Well, i bought a new paint gun and some por-15 Hardnose paint!!! Should i clear coat this stuff??? Also, what do you recommend using for the red on my secondary colors... I heard that i should use caliper paint and bake it on? Any idea's? Anyhow, picked up some tubing to modify my subframe and add some gussets to the frame!!! Got my hubs and axle and bearing carrier apart!!! Darn locknut on the axle is about to give out, what should i replace it with that is a cheap aftermarket solution to the dumb stock one?

426kidz
12-27-2010, 11:32 PM
with gun and all the paint...how much total did you spend? just wonderin cuz I know powdercoating is not that much and if you go too pappy or someone that will prep it for you it may be worth it due too the fact that it is winter and you may not end up with what you wnat in the long run. No one like too do all that work and have too take it all down again cuz it chipped???just throwin it out there!:D

trailrider894
12-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by 426kidz
with gun and all the paint...how much total did you spend? just wonderin cuz I know powdercoating is not that much and if you go too pappy or someone that will prep it for you it may be worth it due too the fact that it is winter and you may not end up with what you wnat in the long run. No one like too do all that work and have too take it all down again cuz it chipped???just throwin it out there!:D

trust me i have weighed the options... Well, the gun was a touch up gun from summmit which cost 32 and the paint cost 62. I am painting more than just frame, so it will be cheaper than to powdercoat all that stuff. I have a warm shop with a section blocked off for painting. The gun is an investment for other things, so i cam not including that as a cost of the build.

426kidz
12-28-2010, 09:05 AM
ok cool, yeah i know pappy was cheap for the frame and stuf, idk I just remember my buddy doin what you did and now its chiping and we did it the right way just cant hold up as well thats why i suggested it. good luck man can't wait too see the results!

evan402
12-28-2010, 02:45 PM
i called most of the powder coating places around town here in Omaha. Seems everyone is at 250-275 for frame and swing-arm powder coating. And each of them made a point to tell me that is "if they can get the factory paint off with no problems" then it would be pricier for them to acid dip it or whatever.
Sounds like that may be an issue removing the stock frame paint?

trailrider894
12-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, i am not worrying about chipping... I called SEVERAL places and they all suggested this paint and said them when it is done right it is next to powder coat. They said it is UV Resistant and literally last forever... Plus i can paint it 3 times before it would total up to a powder coat...

426kidz
12-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I have no clue about these local guys...they told me it would cost me like 180 to do my arms...pappy says 65, thats with prep work I mean I dont see why go through all that trouble to paint a frame while you can juts PC, my opinion you get what you pay for but I know exactly where your coming from with how cheap it is I just hope it holds up good for ya! :(

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333380

trailrider894
12-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by 426kidz
I have no clue about these local guys...they told me it would cost me like 180 to do my arms...pappy says 65, thats with prep work I mean I dont see why go through all that trouble to paint a frame while you can juts PC, my opinion you get what you pay for but I know exactly where your coming from with how cheap it is I just hope it holds up good for ya! :(

The problem for me is, I can't drive to give him the stuff, i am painting a-lot of stuff. After i shipped everything to him and after costs of shipping it and cost for him powdercoating, it will be hundreds. At that rate i might as well pay a local to do it. I don't ride trails or rocks, just MX on clean tracks that don't have debris on them. I only need the paint to last a season... I am not doing this for a lifetime thing.

426kidz
12-28-2010, 11:17 PM
yeah i feel ya man, Im sayin for tohers too just seems like these local shops always want a arm and a leg for everything its nuts... I rwad on another thread a shop wanted like 260 plus the cost of Powder for a frame without stripping iut thats nuts.... I hope yours turns out great though! idk why my buddies turned too **** we did it right even blasted it bare!

CJM
12-29-2010, 12:08 AM
That doesnt need to be top coated it seems. What it does need is a good primer according to POR15 website.

trailrider894
12-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Well here is a quick update!!! Its officially completely dis-assembled. I banged out the last bearings today. lol

Cleaned everything up for paint and organized all my parts. I ordered parts today for it here is the list..

Stock Clutch Cable

O'Rings for the Bearing Carrier and Brake stay thing

Bumper for the seat, i lost it again even after zip tying it.

Oil

Sparkplugs

oil filters

pivot bolt

the bolts that hold the carrier in.

Steering stem bearings

carrier bearings

front wheel bearings...

thats all i can think of at the moment... pretty sure i ordered some other stuff but can't remember. I am still recovering from mono and got smacked with Influenza so i've been pretty crappy. Now on Tamaflu which makes me throw up, so i was pucking and sanding my frame... Thats how you know you love your sport... lol

dang it... i forgot front brake pads... shoot..... Anybody know how i can get the front ones out? Those allens won't turn at all...

Anyhow... painting all of my accent parts red tommorow morning. I'll be posting pics of the process!!! See ya later guys!!

skid572
12-31-2010, 07:20 AM
hey if you want any paint removed try this stuff it comes in spray cands,quarts or gallons its called Mar-Hyde tal-strip aircraft coating remover and you cand get it at local parts store or hardware store
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/mar-hyde-tal-strip-ii-aircraft-coating-remover-3711-p-10949.aspx

trailrider894
12-31-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by skid572
hey if you want any paint removed try this stuff it comes in spray cands,quarts or gallons its called Mar-Hyde tal-strip aircraft coating remover and you cand get it at local parts store or hardware store
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/mar-hyde-tal-strip-ii-aircraft-coating-remover-3711-p-10949.aspx

Definetly gonna check that out!!! I would like to polish my side cases, might be the best way to get the PC off.

skid572
12-31-2010, 07:39 AM
i used it to strip the factory paint of my 400ex and the spray can works realy good and fast spray it let it bubble then take a pressure washer to it panit comes right off

evan402
01-04-2011, 03:42 PM
let me know how that por15 works. My brother is rebuilding his Raptor 660 and wants to paint his frame, Wants to do an orange frame to go with black plastics. I mentioned to him about this stuff and he is interested. Brushing it on seems like a better way to do it than spraying it on to me.

BlasterEaten250
01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I just used some paint stripper in a can that I got at walmart and it stripped it down to bare metal easily. It's nice stuff

trailrider894
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
let me know how that por15 works. My brother is rebuilding his Raptor 660 and wants to paint his frame, Wants to do an orange frame to go with black plastics. I mentioned to him about this stuff and he is interested. Brushing it on seems like a better way to do it than spraying it on to me.

Hey!!! I have been sitting around with nothing to do, because i have been waiting for my paint and spray gun to come in. I will be spraying in the next few days and i will let you know how it goes on!! I talked with a rep from por-15 and he said to spray it on.

BTW quick update.. I have everything cleaned up, primed and sanded for painting and re-assembly. I am holding to a tighter budget on somethings because my job fell through... :( it always picks the worsts times... Anyhow... I'll finally post some pics when i get the chance...

evan402
01-05-2011, 08:18 AM
^^Hmm spraying it on would probably not work. buying a spray gun is out of the question for him. he is a cheap skate and has a newborn so doing it as cheap as possible is his plan. I might try to convince him to leave the purple frame lol

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Okay guys.... Well i apologize for lacking on my response time here... I've had a-lot going on with stuff. Well here is what i've got done so far. Mostly starting cosmetic things at the moment. Everything is primed for the black and all the red is painted!! Had a real hard time with the swingarm bearings, but did get them out. Anyway guys, here are the pics. More are coming tommorow, i promise!!!

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Well here is my oil filter cover painted red!! How do you like it?

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0332.jpg

Cleaning up my calipers, you can tell which one is clean. lol Just threw in the other one to be a comparision.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0331.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0330.jpg

Here is my clutch side cover. Prepping for polish here in this picture. Still have spots that need stripped, i tried to sand most of this off. But i gave up pretty quick.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0329.jpg

Here is all the atv parts hidden under sheets so overspray doesn't get on them......... Eventful, i know. :devil

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0326.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0325.jpg

Here is the engine. I am cleaning it up and painting it black. Any suggestions on cleaning it? This thing is nasty... and how much staining and stuff needs to come out before paint?

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0323.jpg

Here is the needle bearing carnage of my swingarm... I took out the sleeves and the bearing just came out in thousands of little pieces... After 30 minutes of pounding, i drove over to my dad's and he got it out with a custom punch and hammer.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0322.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0321.jpg

More pics will be coming tommorow of the frame, and other stuff. Thanks for following!! Post if you have questions, suggestions, etc... I'd love to hear from you!!!

CJM
01-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Interested in the punch, maybe snap a pic of that if possible.

As for painting the engine, degrease it with brakecleen-least thats what I always used. Its nothing more than acetone in a can anyways.

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Interested in the punch, maybe snap a pic of that if possible.

As for painting the engine, degrease it with brakecleen-least thats what I always used. Its nothing more than acetone in a can anyways.

thats what i do. But my question is, how in depth into cleaning it do i need to go??? there are no hunks of dirt or anything, just stains.

evan402
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
dang man looking good!

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 05:51 PM
dang man looking good!

Thanks!!! I am trying to be really thorough by cleaning, polish, or painting everything!!! Every single chassis bearing is getting replaced and new brake pads... lol

Honda#4
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
The oil cover looks really good, hope to see more.

CJM
01-10-2011, 06:20 PM
thats what i do. But my question is, how in depth into cleaning it do i need to go??? there are no hunks of dirt or anything, just stains.

I would think priming it would be a good idea before laying on a color coat. This should eliminate any problem spots and will prepare the metal much better than just painting it up with color first.

Maybe self etching primer??

Did you ever get an answer on those duplicolor paints?

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I would think priming it would be a good idea before laying on a color coat. This should eliminate any problem spots and will prepare the metal much better than just painting it up with color first.

Maybe self etching primer??

Did you ever get an answer on those duplicolor paints?

I plan on priming... I will probably spray with Brakleen and then wire brush and scotch-brite. Then prime and paint.

No answer needed on the dupli-color. I have all my paint picked out and bought already. But thanks.

BlasterEaten250
01-10-2011, 06:39 PM
You're garage looks exactly like mine. Sheets over all the quad parts, engine laying on its side with the clutch cover off, and a million different things with paint or primer on them haha

trailrider894
01-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
You're garage looks exactly like mine. Sheets over all the quad parts, engine laying on its side with the clutch cover off, and a million different things with paint or primer on them haha

ha ha, if its not one of my 4 ATV's or one of my 2 Dirt Bikes, it is surely a car or a truck that is being taken apart. lol Had my old go cart in there the other day. XD

trailrider894
01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
UPDATE!!!!!

Sorry for the cell pics... Can't us a real camera because my lil bro lost it.

trailrider894
01-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Here is my exhaust!!! Thinking about keeping this look. Or polish it.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0345.jpg

Here is my headers, after cleaning them up as best i can.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0344.jpg

Here is the frame, air scoops, and swingarm in primer waiting for black.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0343.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0341.jpg

Before of the swingarm.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0340.jpg

Sub-Frame in prep stage waiting for primer.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0339.jpg

Before of the engine.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0335.jpg

Engine with primer.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0338.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0337.jpg

Tomorrow, the motor will getting black and the clear coat. The side cases will get stripped and polished tommorow. I'll finish prep on the front hubs for the red paint and the sub-frame for the primer. I'll also be prepping the oil tank for the black paint.

Really had no clue how big of a commitment this was... Its been a massive money pit and a major time consuming process. The family and girlfriend want more and more of me so it makes things hard to work for more than a few hours at a time. I'll get it finished and it will be worth the work when i am done though!!!! I'll post more pics of the process tomorrow.

evan402
01-12-2011, 07:59 AM
its gonna look pretty awesome, It didnt realize you were going to paint the air scoops too, i really like that idea.

416racer
01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
What color are you painting your starter cable? lol

trailrider894
01-12-2011, 09:25 AM
its gonna look pretty awesome, It didnt realize you were going to paint the air scoops too, i really like that idea.

ha ha yep!!! Any ideas on the slip-on? Kinda lost at what to do with it...

trailrider894
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by 416racer
What color are you painting your starter cable? lol

Lol pink!!!!!!!! nah... its gonna get re wrapped in electrical tape, or painted black. I realized that i forgot to tape it off before i painted... but whatever. lol

evan402
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
im not sure. I kind of like the look you got going now, but polishing might looking pretty decent too. Ill be waiting for the finished product on that because i have the exact came pipe!

trailrider894
01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
im not sure. I kind of like the look you got going now, but polishing might looking pretty decent too. Ill be waiting for the finished product on that because i have the exact came pipe!

I think i'll probably try to polish it up. just for fun. Worst case is that i don't like it and scuff it up again. lol

400exHondaRider
01-12-2011, 11:12 AM
How hard was it to take apart, im thinking about doing the same with mine, im not so much worried about the mechanical things because im pretty good at that kind of thing, but more with the electrical aspect of things?

trailrider894
01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 400exHondaRider
How hard was it to take apart, im thinking about doing the same with mine, im not so much worried about the mechanical things because im pretty good at that kind of thing, but more with the electrical aspect of things?

Its not real hard. The wires are color coded and if you have a service manual, it is like cheating. Just know that it will cost to do this... Bearings, bushings, etc can be expensive. Not trying to deter you from doing it. Just be ready to spend some cash and have lots of extra time!!!

400exHondaRider
01-12-2011, 08:03 PM
oh i can make time, thats all i do on my free time is mess around with my quad anyway. but about the money how much are we talking for all of the bearings and bushings and such.:confused:

trailrider894
01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
oh i can make time, thats all i do on my free time is mess around with my quad anyway. but about the money how much are we talking for all of the bearings and bushings and such.:confused:

Well, i would say atleast 75 to 100 if you include everything. Its hard to tell, because everyone will need different parts, because only certain parts might have wear on them. I had to get...

Front Wheel Bearings

Swingarm Bearings

Steering Stem Bearings

Swingarm Bolt.

My total from pivot works for the wheel bearings and swingarm bearings, is scewed because of my sponsorship with them. The steering stem ones were right around 18$ if i remember right. And the bolt was like 30 from Rockymountain. I would say that you would total right around 130 without discounts.

trailrider894
01-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Heres the product on the engine!!! Should i polish the lips on the fins? or is that overdone?

side cases are getting polished as i type this.... i hate sandpaper now.. lol

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0348.jpg

evan402
01-13-2011, 07:43 AM
is it dry in this picture? And your brother better buy you a new camera that he lost this picture sucks! lol

trailrider894
01-13-2011, 07:53 AM
is it dry in this picture? And your brother better buy you a new camera that he lost this picture sucks! lol

ha ha he did... lol got in the mail yesterday. I am gonna use it from now on. lol sorry.

trailrider894
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Here is a better pic of the engine for you!!:) and some of the process on the polishing... polishing sucks.

btw, the paint is dry here.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/DSC_0750.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/DSC_0762.jpg

rubbersdown
01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Lookin good, I like that black. Just an fyi, looking at your clutch pack, the "tabs" of the last fiber plate are supposed to be set into the shallow slot of the basket, not lined up with the rest like you have them. Not 100% sure what difference it makes but thats just what all the manuals say.

trailrider894
01-13-2011, 04:27 PM
I'll check that out. I had no clue. lol thanks.

evan402
01-13-2011, 05:10 PM
holy Moses that is Shiny! i like it a lot man, you are really doing a good job.

trailrider894
01-13-2011, 05:25 PM
holy Moses that is Shiny! i like it a lot man, you are really doing a good job.

Thanks man!!! Hopefully getting the frame and all accessories painted over the weekend then i should be REALLY close to re-assembly.

400exHondaRider
01-13-2011, 05:43 PM
What are you using to polish your side cases?

trailrider894
01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
What are you using to polish your side cases?

Dremel, Sandpaper, elbow grease... lol if you aren't dedicated, don't do it....Its a PITA...

400exHondaRider
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Dremel, Sandpaper, elbow grease... lol if you aren't dedicated, don't do it....Its a PITA...

Haha ya i was only going to do it if i tear down the whole things and have it powder coated

trailrider894
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Haha ya i was only going to do it if i tear down the whole things and have it powder coated

I would get the cases sand blasted before you try to sand them...

PaRedneckRiders
01-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Man its looking really good, cant wait to see it back together.

trailrider894
01-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
Man its looking really good, cant wait to see it back together.

ha ha your telling me!!!

Quick question?!?! Should i paint my houser bar clamps?

PaRedneckRiders
01-13-2011, 06:44 PM
If you mean the whole clamp, i wouldn't. Personally i would polish it to go it a bit of balance because both the stem and Bars are black.

Im liking the Stem and bars btw, might have to pick those up now cause they just look sweet.

trailrider894
01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
If you mean the whole clamp, i wouldn't. Personally i would polish it to go it a bit of balance because both the stem and Bars are black.

Im liking the Stem and bars btw, might have to pick those up now cause they just look sweet.

Thanks man. Shoulda added i would be painting them red. I'll probably polish though, I need some more chrome. lol

anderson3064
01-13-2011, 08:19 PM
is it ok to paint the engine. will the paint retain heat when running. i mean is it gonna run hotter than before. i did a 300ex like this and man o man was it an endeavor. i feel your pain. but i had a sandblaster to do most of the work. i spent most of my time replacing tips on the sandblaster haha. really though I like what you have done with the engine. if its not gonna make it run hotter you have opened my eyes to another rebuild on my 400ex...i curse you for that LMAO

evan402
01-13-2011, 09:56 PM
painting actually helps the engine run cooler.

trailrider894
01-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by anderson3064
is it ok to paint the engine. will the paint retain heat when running. i mean is it gonna run hotter than before. i did a 300ex like this and man o man was it an endeavor. i feel your pain. but i had a sandblaster to do most of the work. i spent most of my time replacing tips on the sandblaster haha. really though I like what you have done with the engine. if its not gonna make it run hotter you have opened my eyes to another rebuild on my 400ex...i curse you for that LMAO

HA HA your welcome dude!!!

Poll:

Polish the fins? or leave it?

PaRedneckRiders
01-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Polished for sure, It may be a real PITA but imho i think it looks so much nicer.

rubbersdown
01-14-2011, 10:28 AM
will look good either way but I would think if you polish the fins it will make the paint chip easy sense it will now have an "edge" ya know what I mean.

evan402
01-14-2011, 01:33 PM
i say leave it murdered out.

2001400exrida
01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
the fin tips look awesome polished i would do that! it won't cause an edge on your paint as long as you did a good paint job. did you consider powder coating the motor? it will still keep that murdered out look too it's just gonna make the motor look that much cleaner imo.

trailrider894
01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
the fin tips look awesome polished i would do that! it won't cause an edge on your paint as long as you did a good paint job. did you consider powder coating the motor? it will still keep that murdered out look too it's just gonna make the motor look that much cleaner imo.

I did actually!!! But, my problem is that i don't have time enough to get it pc'd. First race is first saturday in feb.

416racer
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
where is the first race at?

trailrider894
01-16-2011, 12:15 PM
HLR Motorsports.

anderson3064
01-17-2011, 07:34 AM
what kind of paint did you use for the engine and if it was the por15 did you spray it on....thanks

trailrider894
01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
what kind of paint did you use for the engine and if it was the por15 did you spray it on....thanks

I used Plasti-Kote Engine Primer, Engine Paint with Ceramic, Engine Clear. I did not use the POR-15.

anderson3064
01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I used Plasti-Kote Engine Primer, Engine Paint with Ceramic, Engine Clear. I did not use the POR-15.
sweet thanks......your builds looking good. you have caused me a bunch of work. i wasnt goning to do a rebuild cause the engine was always a PITA. I was under impression that painting engine would create more heat. now that i have been told differently I cant wait. It always just made me so mad to put in all the work on the whole quad and the engine wouldnt come clean for nothing. and i hate a dirty engine. haha

trailrider894
01-19-2011, 07:59 PM
sweet thanks......your builds looking good. you have caused me a bunch of work. i wasnt goning to do a rebuild cause the engine was always a PITA. I was under impression that painting engine would create more heat. now that i have been told differently I cant wait. It always just made me so mad to put in all the work on the whole quad and the engine wouldnt come clean for nothing. and i hate a dirty engine. haha
Thank you!! Ha ha sorry if i gave you the itch. I cleaned mine with Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner, Along with Brakeleen. It will clean it good enough to paint it. I decided to only polish parts of the engine cases. My Dremel tool went out and i decided to just polish certain parts and paint others. My frame and swingarm are heading out to my dad to be painted at his work. Here is a pic of them all primed up...

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0349.jpg

I will get some good pics of the air scoops and Oil Tank tomorrow!! College is closed because they are calling for 7 inches of snow!! So, i'll get a-lot done...... Hopefully!!! :)

anderson3064
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM
yeah I think I am going to murder out my 426, well partial. Im going all black everywhere and polish the stator and cluth covers and a-arms. It sound s good but not sure what it will look like. We will all know by mid summer LMAO

MisterGraphic
01-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Nice build man,
How's the polishing and painting going ?

trailrider894
01-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by MisterGraphic
Nice build man,
How's the polishing and painting going ?

Its at a stand still... My buddies work van had a blown head gasket so thats taken up the shop right now... I'll work on my polishing and painting after i get the head off the car. All painting is nearly done... THe POR-15 is now at my dads car dealer getting painted on the frame as we speak, i'll get that monday when i head home.

evan402
01-24-2011, 09:12 AM
i am at stand still too, this cold weather is just making it tough on me. I have 2 propane heaters in my garage and it still doesnt keep it warm enough for me to be out there. so i have a stack of things to put on and am starting to get depressed staring at it all. My 450r shocks should be back this week from GTT tho:D

MisterGraphic
01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I understand that....

It's -23C (Almost 75F) here and it's
harsh to go work in the uninsulated shed.

MisterGraphic
01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
forgot the - in the converter, that's actually -9.6F...yikes.

trailrider894
01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
forgot the - in the converter, that's actually -9.6F...yikes.

Its a beautiful.... 25 here. lol

MisterGraphic
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
But, but we don't have mosquitoes!! :P

Must be nice eh ? :devil:

CJM
01-24-2011, 12:22 PM
To dang cold here too, its like 10f outside and my uninsulated garage its probably colder.

I need a garage heater!

trailrider894
01-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by CJM
To dang cold here too, its like 10f outside and my uninsulated garage its probably colder.

I need a garage heater!

I have a industrial wall mounted hearter that will get me to sweat in my insulated shop.

The rest of my parts come in tommorow!! Frame is coming home tonight!! So FYI Cometic is the only gaskets to buy... I replaced my clutch side one with a tusk and the other with a cometic at different times and tusk is trashed and the cometic is still usable!!!

trailrider894
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Here is a really bad picture of my Foot Pegs. lol

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0358.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0356.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0353.jpg

There is my frame!!!

evan402
01-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Shiny! Looks pretty good man, when does the bolt up start?

trailrider894
01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Shiny! Looks pretty good man, when does the bolt up start?

Tommorow sometime!! I feel like i am getting sick though... so we will see.

TORO1968
01-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Looks sweet! Can't wait to see it all built up!

trailrider894
01-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Ha ha me neither!! :)

trailrider894
01-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Here we go guys!! This is my progress!!!!!

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0359.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0363-Copy.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0364.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0361.jpg

ridehonda400ex
01-29-2011, 05:49 PM
If im correct. your front shocks are on backwards

evan402
01-29-2011, 06:04 PM
That's how he likes them! It really only matters if your riding trails, put em facing back so debris doesn't hit the rezzies. He really doesn't have to worry about that riding the track tho.

ridehonda400ex
01-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Good point lol

MisterGraphic
01-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Lookin' good man!

trailrider894
01-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Hey guys!! Thanks a-lot!!! Everything is going good!! I figure that it isn't gonna matter which way they face because Aftermarket shocks have resi's that sit out in the open anyway, so it isn't gonna matter. Its just a game of what bolt goes where at this point... :huh

trailrider894
01-30-2011, 08:52 PM
EXTREMELY GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 18" of snow means i am stuck back home and will finish my quad!!! Finally gonna get the time!!!

trailrider894
01-30-2011, 08:54 PM
One question though... One side of the bearing in the swingarm wouldn't accept the sleeve without help, where as the other side went right in. I didn't push it in hard, but once it is in it doesn't swivel like it should... the other sides sleeve rotates freely like it should. Any help?

250x_kyle
01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
if the bearings are new did they happen to get damaged when they were pressed in? if the sleeve is not new did it bed when you were trying to get the pivot bolt out. i doubt the sleeve is whats not true but the bearing may have got a little dented when they were getting pressed in depending on who did it.

trailrider894
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
if the bearings are new did they happen to get damaged when they were pressed in? if the sleeve is not new did it bed when you were trying to get the pivot bolt out. i doubt the sleeve is whats not true but the bearing may have got a little dented when they were getting pressed in depending on who did it.

Just had my buddy press them in at the local machine shop. Everything was new.

MisterGraphic
01-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Hey man, I noticed you may be missing the tube spacers on your top motor mount.
Just a heads-up in case you're wondering where they go!

Denis

trailrider894
01-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey man, I noticed you may be missing the tube spacers on your top motor mount.
Just a heads-up in case you're wondering where they go!

Denis

Thanks for the heads up... I was aware of that. the bolt was just on there so that i could get it lined up for the rest of the mounts is all put in right at the moment. I'll post a pic.

250x_kyle
01-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Just had my buddy press them in at the local machine shop. Everything was new.

needle bearings have pritty tight tollerances. normally minus .0005 or under and not .0001 over if not less. may just be that you got one on the minus side. not necessarily a bad thing may last a little longer with a tight fit. another heads up the pivot bolt issue if you put a little no seize greas on it it wont lock up as easily. bearings wear a little faster but may save you a few hundered down the road as to the 60 for new bearings.

trailrider894
01-31-2011, 07:27 PM
needle bearings have pritty tight tollerances. normally minus .0005 or under and not .0001 over if not less. may just be that you got one on the minus side. not necessarily a bad thing may last a little longer with a tight fit. another heads up the pivot bolt issue if you put a little no seize greas on it it wont lock up as easily. bearings wear a little faster but may save you a few hundered down the road as to the 60 for new bearings.

So you think that i'll be good to be go and shouldn't worry to much? I mean it moves, just not as lose as the other one.

250x_kyle
01-31-2011, 07:35 PM
i wouldnt be to worried. probably losen up after you hit a few jumps. with that tight of tolerances your bound to get a tight fit from time to time. i could explaine it better but i would have to write a book. when you hand jog a cnc machine at .0001 per click you can barely see the table move unless your really focused on it.

trailrider894
01-31-2011, 09:10 PM
i wouldnt be to worried. probably losen up after you hit a few jumps. with that tight of tolerances your bound to get a tight fit from time to time. i could explaine it better but i would have to write a book. when you hand jog a cnc machine at .0001 per click you can barely see the table move unless your really focused on it.

Sweet dude!! Thanks a bunch!! that means i can tighten everything up.

trailrider894
02-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Well here is the progress since last time... Its a little by little process, but it'll get there sooner or later...

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0366.jpg

82toyota
02-01-2011, 05:31 AM
nice paint job lol

evan402
02-01-2011, 07:27 AM
ok bit of a newbie question here. I cut and put a new style hood on my 400. Removed the bug eyes and now there is no place to put the key ignition. Is that what a tether kill switch does? does it replace the key?

CJM
02-01-2011, 08:01 AM
No a tether kill switch attaches to you and in the event you call off it cuts the engines power so it shuts off.

You need to drill some holes for the keys and lights on the plastics or make a small dash for them put of whatever and attach it to the handlebar clamp area.

evan402
02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
i see thanks flipper. Your ride is coming along nicely trailrider. Im liking the red motor mounts!

CJM
02-01-2011, 08:13 AM
your welcome.

trailrider894
02-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Evan402, my killswitch has saved my rear end so many times!!! I couldn't survive without it. After falling off and the quad landing on me and leaving rubber marks up my whole side, i quickly invested in a tether kill.

250x_kyle
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
only down fall of tethers is when you miss place your tether. done that a few times fortunately i had a few laying around :p. looken good.

trailrider894
02-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Here is more progress for today!! I had to leave the shop because the snow is drifting so bad i am worried i won't be able to get out the only door which is eastern facing... Last time i opened it, i pushed 4ft of snow away. I expect to be shoveling and looking for the door by tommorow...

Question about the front sprocket? Which way does it face when i install it??? This side in or out?

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0367.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0368.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0369.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0371.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0370.jpg

honda400ex2003
02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
it is coming together nicely! steve

CJM
02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Sprocket the way your holding it in the pic is the end that faces the engine.

Looks good, I think you shoulda spent more time polishing the cases and makin them really shine tho-woulda looked better.

trailrider894
02-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Sprocket the way your holding it in the pic is the end that faces the engine.

Looks good, I think you shoulda spent more time polishing the cases and makin them really shine tho-woulda looked better.

I still might shine them up.

250x_kyle
02-01-2011, 04:08 PM
mothers aluminum mag polish some 1000 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper and a few rags it will look like chrome.

CJM
02-01-2011, 04:13 PM
mothers aluminum mag polish some 1000 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper and a few rags it will look like chrome.

Exactly, I like using steel wool too. Make sure to polish only in one direction, no circles otherwise you will get swirl marks.

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Heres the progress from yesterday!! Heading out to work more at the moment.

This pic is of my spark plug... Looks a little black to me, would you say its time to go down a main size? or?

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0379.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0384.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0381.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0380.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Photo0385.jpg

MisterGraphic
02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
The red front spindles look good, never would have thought of that! :)

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 10:41 AM
The red front spindles look good, never would have thought of that! :)

Thank you!!

250x_kyle
02-03-2011, 01:41 PM
how old was the plug? check the gap with a feeler guage. put a new one in to check just my .02 on it. a little rich one hurt. better then being way lean.

CJM
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I admire the dedication you have for painting stuff. Id like to do it myself but Im to lazy to take it all apart lol. The red/black does look good tho.

honda400ex2003
02-03-2011, 02:22 PM
plug looks rich to me. lol Id say 1-2 sizes smaller would work good at whatever temp you ride most.

The machine is looking great! i wish i had time to tear mine down like that! half my riding season would be done already by the time i got it all back together from all of that work.

Steve

evan402
02-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I admire the dedication you have for painting stuff. Id like to do it myself but Im to lazy to take it all apart lol. The red/black does look good tho.

agree completely

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Ha ha... thanks guys. I have put in well over 175hrs in it. Its been the worlds biggest pain in the butt!!! But so worth it!! I finished the electrical and got it started up... it started with the first hit of the button with no choke!! Got the front plastics and gas tank on. Gotta do the rear brakes and bleed the fronts, and finish the rear plastics. Also gotta do some paint touch up and torque stuff down and do my final go over. So many little loose ends to tie up and little things to do.... :eek2: I'll be posting a pic of all the left-over bolts................................. Theres more than i'd like to see...................... I have no clue where most of them go...... It kinda scares me.

honda400ex2003
02-03-2011, 06:43 PM
that is no good. dont wanna have left overs when you are all done. lol cant wait to see the progress man! steve

MisterGraphic
02-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Damn that sucks about the left-over bolts!
Here's a tip for next time : I wrap nuts/bolt in
masking tape and write where they went with a marker.

Very easy as long as you can read what you wrote...haha

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 06:57 PM
that is no good. dont wanna have left overs when you are all done. lol cant wait to see the progress man! steve

ha ha i know right.... :ermm:

I mean i've taken it all apart at a point in time, but a-lot of it is just weird looking stuff. I'll finish it all tomorrow and take a pic of the left overs for you guys. Here are the pics of the progress from today and one video of it running...

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 07:01 PM
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/006.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/007.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/011.jpg

Here is how to stop your seat gromets from falling off so often......... :mad:

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/015.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/018.jpg

Here is the final photo of the day as i was walking out...

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/019.jpg

Video of it running after i topped of the oil is uploading now... I'll post it when it finishes.

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 07:04 PM
here's the vid!!

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid357.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Foo17%2Ftrailrider894%2F013.mp4">

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
I am gonna take my main jet down a size... You can see the black smoke coming out in that video.

MisterGraphic
02-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Sounds great! bet you can't wait to take it out for a drive

trailrider894
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Sounds great! bet you can't wait to take it out for a drive

ha ha thats so true... but seeing that we still have 24 inches of snow, i am NOT ABOUT to take this thing out and get it all nasty... or stuck. lol Guess i'll be waiting to ride it for awhile.

trailrider894
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Okay ladies!!!!!!! Its almost there!!! Just needs the final touches and some polishing and the bumper painted. Here is what i've got at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/020.jpg

Here are the only pieces i had left... any help on what they are???

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/022.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/034.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/033.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/032.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/028.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/026.jpg

needs more polishing but its getting there...

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/025.jpg

Still needs more polishing...

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/024.jpg

can't find the right bolt to fit into this hole??? Any help????

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/023.jpg

Nac's22
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Looks pretty good man. A lot of work is in that thing. Have fun with it.

CJM
02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
think the bolt is a 10mm head, IDK by now I have an entire box of various bolts ive either found later, got from who knows where (not off the quad) or extras I bought.

I bought a bolt assortment from pepboys for like 10 bucks awhile back thats served me well.

trailrider894
02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys... I am just gonna take the quad into town on a trailer and get all the bolts i need and make sure they fit. Its just all the small things that are holding me back. lol

IMSROLL450R
02-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Looking good dude!!!!

Like the lift overkill you got there. Wish I had one...

trailrider894
02-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
Looking good dude!!!!

Like the lift overkill you got there. Wish I had one...

ha ha yeah... the lift is overkill. But worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!!

MisterGraphic
02-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey man,
What bend/height are your handlebars ?

Thanks for the info

rubbersdown
02-09-2011, 01:40 PM
ha ha yeah... the lift is overkill. But worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!!

Haha, ya know whats funny, I have a 12,000lb two post lift just like his in my shop and I never really even thought about putting my quad on it lol. It is by far the best investment I have ever made. I think everyone would own one if they knew how affordable they really are. I paid I think $2400 for mine but you can get the 9,000lb ones which will lift any car, just not big trucks for like $1500. SO WORTH IT.

trailrider894
02-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Hey man,
What bend/height are your handlebars ?

Thanks for the info

They are CR High bend. :)

Yes the lifts are amazing!!! You will never get dirty while crawling under a car again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST INVESTMENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trailrider894
02-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Well guys, not much to really show right now, its just little stuff. One horrible thing happened though... i was adjusting the valves and found that one of the adjuster was stripped. Not sure how it happened, but it was. So that I have to wait to get the parts in. It sucks because we are getting some nice weather and i would love to have had it finished....

evan402
02-11-2011, 01:08 PM
i know what ya mean, 40s this weekend and upper fifties next week, ill be out riding for sure!

trailrider894
02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
i know what ya mean, 40s this weekend and upper fifties next week, ill be out riding for sure!

We have sixties!!! :)

sheweezy
02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
hey man who did your number plates?

trailrider894
02-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by sheweezy
hey man who did your number plates?

Skorbordz. They do a great job!! Call and ask for P.J. Let him know that Tyler Gloe sent ya.

sheweezy
02-12-2011, 11:32 AM
okay preciate it man!

trailrider894
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
okay preciate it man!

No problem!!!

sheweezy
02-14-2011, 08:35 PM
did you get name plates for a 450r?

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
did you get name plates for a 450r?

No, i got them for a 400ex. It took a-lot of time and measuring for P.J. but i got it all figured out for him. He has the file pulled up and sitting around for you guys to get some graphics!!!!!!!!

sheweezy
02-14-2011, 08:43 PM
oh okay, nice, preciate it

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 08:44 PM
!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!

Okay guys, its almost there!! Got my sprockets and valve adjuster ordered, they should be here tomorrow!! Keep posting with comments and questions!! Found where all the missing bolts go, and found out why my skid plate wouldn't fit also..... Ever been so tired you put the shock linage on backward???? Well i have been........ :scary: LOL its all fixed now... :) THanks for the support guys... Don't think i could have made it through without you guys keeping my phsyched!!!!!!

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
oh okay, nice, preciate it

No problem... I plan on fixing some things for P.J. with the rear fender graphics. They don't fit like they should, but we'll get them fixed soon.

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Okay.. question... Is there a Decibel limit for racing?

sheweezy
02-14-2011, 08:56 PM
think it depends on which sanction your racing in...i think like ama motorcross is 94db??

trailrider894
02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
think it depends on which sanction your racing in...i think like ama motorcross is 94db??

Yeah its either AMA or ATVA. Anybody know of someplace that might have a decibel meter?? Maybe a muffler shop somewhere?

wnyoa400ex
02-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Love the stem and bars, planning on doing the same to my 400. a few questions though. Is it too high to sit down comfortably? Did you need extended cables? Do you stand alot?

sheweezy
02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
if you don't have a muffler shop with one, most car audio stores will have a db mike you could try out...also walmart used to sell handheld mikes for like 20 bucks that would give a pretty good reading, like a +/- 1db tolerance depending on where placed and pressure

trailrider894
02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by wnyoa400ex
Love the stem and bars, planning on doing the same to my 400. a few questions though. Is it too high to sit down comfortably? Did you need extended cables? Do you stand alot?

well, i am 6'1 and 6'2 with boots, so it is perfect for me. It is a wonderful feeling to ride with those bars where they are. I can actually ride comfortably and not hunch over. Yes i do stand a-lot!!! Since i am in MX, i spend a-lot of time standing. I can't answer the extended cable question. I would say that you will need and extended front brake line. It seems that until i got my stainless lines for my +2's it was tight.

trailrider894
02-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Okay guys... Update!!! Well, i got my adjuster for the valve today!! Put it in and adjusted everything!! Its sounds way better, and now that ANNOYING ticking noise is now gone. BUT..... All the sudden, my jetting is off... Any ideas?? It does great until hits the main jet then bogs down and backfires.. so its running rich. Mind you, i haven't riden it. Just had it running in the shop.

Also... How the POOP do you get the master link clip back on????

I switched to a 14 tooth front from a 15 tooth front sprocket.

sheweezy
02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
your master link should have two links with nothing on one side, link your chain back together and then put the side of the link back on, if its the same clip as i've seen it should have like a cut in the middle with the two holes cut for the links to fit in, i bend one side of the clip up slightly and put the other side in place and then take a flathead and hammer and tap the other side over and down to fit into place

trailrider894
02-16-2011, 09:29 PM
your master link should have two links with nothing on one side, link your chain back together and then put the side of the link back on, if its the same clip as i've seen it should have like a cut in the middle with the two holes cut for the links to fit in, i bend one side of the clip up slightly and put the other side in place and then take a flathead and hammer and tap the other side over and down to fit into place '

THANK YOU!!! If there was a bowing emote i would use it right here... --->

crownandmonster
02-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Needle nose pliers. Put one side of them on the "stud" part of the link and the other on the rounded part of the clip and squeeze them together. If that makes and sense.

sheweezy
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
haha i am kinda with crown, i can do it in pictures of my mind right now, but describing it is a little different..but yeah needle nose would work too....i just like working with force, might be why im replacing stuff a lot??? haha KINDA joking

trailrider894
02-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Any takers on the jetting question??? I need to get this figured out.. i plan on riding this weekend, for the FIRST TIME SINCE OCTOBER!!!!!!!!! So, you can imagine my anticipation with this.........

vinnytobasco
02-17-2011, 03:55 PM
This might be a stupid question but did you take a look at your spark plug and see what color it is ? And is it that when you peg the throttle off idle it wants to bog out and die.Or is it that even if you ease into the trottle it still dies ?

trailrider894
02-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by vinnytobasco
This might be a stupid question but did you take a look at your spark plug and see what color it is ? And is it that when you peg the throttle off idle it wants to bog out and die.Or is it that even if you ease into the trottle it still dies ?

Yeah, my spark plug is good. What about spark plug gap??? Could play a role?? Yeah, it revs just fine until 3/4 throttle then loses it. even if i ease into it.

sheweezy
02-17-2011, 06:03 PM
whats your filter look like? its like your not gettin any air, like your choke is on haha

trailrider894
02-17-2011, 08:07 PM
whats your filter look like? its like your not gettin any air, like your choke is on haha

Yeah, i cleaned the filter and checked the gap again. It seems to be doing fine once again. I guess it fixed itself.. lol Thanks guys!! Just finishing up all those last million little details. I will be doing a photoshoot after i get my bumper painted on saturday!! :)

vinnytobasco
02-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Glad to hear it all worked out.Good luck with the build !

trailrider894
02-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by vinnytobasco
Glad to hear it all worked out.Good luck with the build !

Thanks!! Still can't get the master link clip, on though.... Its giving me some real trouble...............

CJM
02-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Get a pair of needlenose vise grips. Pinch the link together, then take some needlenose pliers and push the master link (the clip) on. Works like a charm.

trailrider894
02-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Get a pair of needlenose vise grips. Pinch the link together, then take some needlenose pliers and push the master link (the clip) on. Works like a charm.

got in one!!! I broke my first one, so i got out my old one. lol all is well now!! Took it out for a ride!! IT IS AMAZING!!! It has so much more power now than it had before....

Still can't get the rear brakes to firm up like they should... any help on that??

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
can we get a recap of what was all done in 1 post? I cant remember what was all done to it over the rebuild and there are lots of pages. plus im feeling lazy tonight after being busy all day. :p

steve

trailrider894
02-19-2011, 09:00 PM
can we get a recap of what was all done in 1 post? I cant remember what was all done to it over the rebuild and there are lots of pages. plus im feeling lazy tonight after being busy all day. :p

steve

Well steve... I am rather ashamed to say... Not much on the list was really added.

This re-build was mainly cosmetic and just re-newing the atv to a excellent working condition. it needed all of the work too. Stuff was breaking, and fallin off and squeaking and rusting... You all know how it goes. I basically replaced EVERY SINGLE bearing and seal on the entire quad and re-greased everything. And painted everything...

So yeah... I will be keeping everyone updated on this thread as i finish my list of parts.

This was really a EXTREMELY thorough maintenance run. lol

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 09:06 PM
very nice! mine will be heading down the same road this spring for a little bit. it is time to do the swinger and stem bearings. Im not sure if i will do the rest or not though. i have all of them ready to do but if i dont have to disturb the factory stuff i dont want to.

the swinger ones are completely toasted though... that is not going to be a fun job at all, i have tried to get the bolt out in the past with no luck.

steve

trailrider894
02-19-2011, 09:08 PM
very nice! mine will be heading down the same road this spring for a little bit. it is time to do the swinger and stem bearings. Im not sure if i will do the rest or not though. i have all of them ready to do but if i dont have to disturb the factory stuff i dont want to.

the swinger ones are completely toasted though... that is not going to be a fun job at all, i have tried to get the bolt out in the past with no luck.

steve

Yeah man... Thankfully i was gifted with patience as a virtue and i can spend the time doing that stuff.

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 09:13 PM
i have the patience to do it but the time is what is lacking. esp this summer, i am already trying to gather up all of the stuff i will need for in a few weeks if i go home over spring break. ill be doing a whirl wind unbolt and bolt on the r and doing the same on the ex. im not sure if i want to get everything now or not since i have like 2000 bucks worth of stuff to get between the two.

oh well, sorry... back to the thread.

steve

trailrider894
02-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Ha steve... i know how it goes. Good luck man!!! If you ever need moral support PM me... I've gotcha back.

I know this is way off topic, but i have realized lately how to tell who your friends really are. I have lots of friends, they are all good people, but none of them would really have my back if something ever happened that i need them. I realized who my real friends were, when i started hanging out with a life long friend again and he was just so open and nice to me. He was just asking me all about life and seeing if he could get anything for me before he headed out to my house. I realize that is really off topic, but i was just kinda taken back by his generosity. Just feels good to have somebody wathching your back for real.

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 09:30 PM
agreed! it is hard to find super good friends nowadays. I find it really hard here at school. people just arent reliable anymore. i would say that if 50% of the time my "friends" are on time or call me back i am going good. I consider them more of an acquiantance than a friend i suppose. people who work together toward the common goal over there. thats about it. i dont really have any friends that will come to my house to help me tear something apart. some that are willing but are too far and stuff like dallas, he is my best bud but he is a few hours away lol. my other good friend is also a couple of hours away when at home so i see him on weekends so he isnt around to help.

my dad and i are quite close so we are the 2 lone rangers most of the time. hes the only one i can count on to do something with if we plan ahead. the rest cant really plan anything more than 1 day out up here. lol sad to see really...

thanks for the moral support, i will get what i can done in a couple of days and go from there. lol theres always another time to get it done when i am home, it will just cut into riding time. I have more friends that are on or from here than i do anywhere else probably. it sounds pretty lame but... im a loner most of the time so i dont care. lol I consider everyone who frequents here a friend.

:D cheers to DIY at least we all know it is done right!

steve

CJM
02-19-2011, 09:36 PM
I have many acquaintances, but few people I acutally call friends these days. Im actually down to just 1 real person that I know would drop everything and come running if I needed. Im that type of person myself tho, if I can help and Im feeling up to it Im there in the thick of it with ya.

As for bleeding the brakes, did you try a vac bleeder yet? I find the back easier to bleed just cause its a smaller line and less air can get trapped.

Try this:
Open the bleeder, then close it to make sure you can move it easy. Pump the pedal like 10x, then open the bleeder-as you open it push and bottom out the pedal. Repeat till you get no more air and firm pedal. It may take like 10x or more to do this.

That or the vac bleeder, which usually does the trick.

trailrider894
02-19-2011, 09:38 PM
agreed! it is hard to find super good friends nowadays. I find it really hard here at school. people just arent reliable anymore. i would say that if 50% of the time my "friends" are on time or call me back i am going good. I consider them more of an acquiantance than a friend i suppose. people who work together toward the common goal over there. thats about it. i dont really have any friends that will come to my house to help me tear something apart. some that are willing but are too far and stuff like dallas, he is my best bud but he is a few hours away lol. my other good friend is also a couple of hours away when at home so i see him on weekends so he isnt around to help.

my dad and i are quite close so we are the 2 lone rangers most of the time. hes the only one i can count on to do something with if we plan ahead. the rest cant really plan anything more than 1 day out up here. lol sad to see really...

thanks for the moral support, i will get what i can done in a couple of days and go from there. lol theres always another time to get it done when i am home, it will just cut into riding time. I have more friends that are on or from here than i do anywhere else probably. it sounds pretty lame but... im a loner most of the time so i dont care. lol I consider everyone who frequents here a friend.

:D cheers to DIY at least we all know it is done right!

steve

YEE HAY!! :)

honda400ex2003
02-19-2011, 09:43 PM
i am also that way, if someone needs my help, im going to help them before doing anything else. a good example, tonight my one neighbor needed some help rotating her tires before her trip tomorrow. I didnt care what i was doing, i said ill be out in 3 minutes. let me get my boots on and we will get started. a hour or so of messing around and b.s.ing with her was fun. she apreciated the help and i scored some brownie points lol. not that i need any, i clean their cars for them, wash them, brush snow off for them, shovel inbetween for them and all kinds of good stuff.

I wish i could do more with people up here. everyone has their own clicks it seems. i dont have one so i am sort of an outsider. lol steve

trailrider894
02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Okay guys. Got all my brakes bled!! Got my rear master cylinder mounted correctly!!! Polished up my nerf bars!!! Its getting there!!! Only need to paint the bumper than i believe that is all!! Then comes the long awaited photo shoot!!!

02-22-2011, 06:40 AM
pics?

trailrider894
02-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by honda4life818
pics?

I am gonna do a shoot tomorrow!! It might be awhile till the bumper is ready to be painted, since the weather isn't warm enough to paint yet.

10sball
03-04-2011, 10:54 PM
not gonna lie, i've been checkin this thread everyday in hopes of seeing some pics.. COME ON! jk i'm just eager to see this.

trailrider894
03-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by 10sball
not gonna lie, i've been checkin this thread everyday in hopes of seeing some pics.. COME ON! jk i'm just eager to see this.

I know man... Its tough to get pics right now. Family is sick and school is tuff. I won't promise anything but be sure to check back in tomorrow!! ;)

honda400ex2003
03-04-2011, 10:58 PM
lol he needs to get rid of his gf so he has time to work on it haha. j/k man. hows that going? no updates over on that thread either. lol im breaking the wrenches out on monday to get started on the r. :D ill be ordering from dk also monday to get some major stuff coming to change over on the r. :D my progress will be in my resto-mod thread later this week. ah man... just realized that i left my cam up north at school. oh well ill take some with my mas cam instead i guess.

steve

10sball
03-04-2011, 11:11 PM
sounds good, and yeah school gets in the way of things for sure, this is going to be my third saturday spending time with my swingarm bolt... ugh if only i could just get three days with her we could settle all of this, lol.

400exmxrider15
03-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Where are the pictures of the photoshoot you said you were getting done?

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
Where are the pictures of the photoshoot you said you were getting done?

I haven't gotten around to getting my good camera from my sisters place in KS. I am gonna take pics today with my ole' camera and try to get them looking nice.

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Here you go!!! I hope you guys realize it might not look like much, but it was pricey and HARD TO DO.

Again, i'll get better photo's eventually... lol

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/001.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/060.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/020-1.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/048.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/072.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/062.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/077.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/070.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/043.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/029-1.jpg

PaRedneckRiders
03-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Looks really good man, are you going to run 18s in the rear for races??

On a side note i want your stem and bar mounts lol

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Looks really good man, are you going to run 18s in the rear for races??

On a side note i want your stem and bar mounts lol

Yes!!! 20's in the front and 18's in the rear. With a Works Front Spring Kit.