PDA

View Full Version : MY OFFICIAL MX 400ex Rebuild Thread!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

PaRedneckRiders
03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Yes!!! 20's in the front and 18's in the rear. With a Works Front Spring Kit.
Ok maybe my eyes were deceiving me, are those 20s in the rear right now??

sneaky11
03-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Really nice man!! Bravo!!

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
Ok maybe my eyes were deceiving me, are those 20s in the rear right now??

Ha i might have made that confusing... they are 20's in the rear now and 21's or 22's in the front. I plan on 20in fronts and 18 rears.

PaRedneckRiders
03-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Ha i might have made that confusing... they are 20's in the rear now and 21's or 22's in the front. I plan on 20in fronts and 18 rears.
Ya thats what i meant haha.

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
Ya thats what i meant haha.

Okay. lol I'd really like 19's in the front. Whats the benefits? I amlooking to lower my ride height, Mainly.

10sball
03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I like this quad.. I like when people put their money toward making it more mechanically sound and ride nice rather than buy really big bumpers, brand new plastics, those weird wheels that look like somethin off pimp my ride.. and then the have a pipe and stock shocks and think it's awesome.... to each his own.. i guess :/ anyway nice job! you're before pictures were one of the first 400s i saw on this site and this one just really stood out

PaRedneckRiders
03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Okay. lol I'd really like 19's in the front. Whats the benefits? I amlooking to lower my ride height, Mainly.
I beilive im running 20s or 21s in the front id have to go out in the garage and check for sure but the front end of mine seems to sit really low right now and i like it. Idk if its the difference if the arms or difference in the shock set-up.

trailrider894
03-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by 10sball
I like this quad.. I like when people put their money toward making it more mechanically sound and ride nice rather than buy really big bumpers, brand new plastics, those weird wheels that look like somethin off pimp my ride.. and then the have a pipe and stock shocks and think it's awesome.... to each his own.. i guess :/ anyway nice job! you're before pictures were one of the first 400s i saw on this site and this one just really stood out

Thanks man!! I totally agree with you... Your quad isn't worthy anything if it breaks down or bearings keep seizing up...

Here are some pics as time went on when i owned the quad... You can see the transformation... lol Its pretty dramatic... She looks a little sick in the early years... :/

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/fingerlakes2016_0001000.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/MyCamera138.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/exriders/UntitledHDR00.png

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/DSC_0215.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/Updated-ATV/017.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/060.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/trailrider894/062.jpg

trailrider894
03-06-2011, 09:40 PM
BTW... The quad runs great!! Better than ever!! No squeaks at all!!

MisterGraphic
03-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Good stuff! 4wheeler looks good :)

03-07-2011, 06:32 AM
looks good, only thing i dont like is i think you should have spent more time on the motor, like polishing the sides.

trailrider894
03-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by honda4life818
looks good, only thing i dont like is i think you should have spent more time on the motor, like polishing the sides.

That was my plan, but easier said than done.. :/

trailrider894
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey ladies... That photoshoot is finally finished.......................................... >.> Finally got my buddy to come out and get the pics. I'll post the pics up this weekend when i finish editing them. The photos are sick!!! I'll post my sponsor video also!! I hope you guys like it!! If any one has questions about the build then just post your Q's here... I had every single nut and bolt apart!!

sheweezy
04-01-2011, 09:23 PM
how did you get I Shock to do conversions? And any reason you didn't do triple rates

trailrider894
04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Just couldn't make the Triple's work for the setup... It just wasn't doing what i liked. So i got the refund..

dustin_j
04-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Can I ask what was wrong that you couldn't get them to work?

trailrider894
04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j

They just created to much body roll because of the Zero-preload setup. I was getting push in the corners and i hate that....

trailrider894
04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j

They just created to much body roll because of the Zero-preload setup. I was getting push in the corners and i hate that....

sheweezy
04-04-2011, 03:32 PM
how did you get them to do the conversion? my understandin is they only work on their in house stuff

trailrider894
04-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by sheweezy
how did you get them to do the conversion? my understandin is they only work on their in house stuff

I've got some hook-ups. ;)

sheweezy
04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
what did they charge you? it looks like the left stock valves and everything on there, and left dust protector? im just curious cuz i tried out hygear going against what everyone recommends with either c and d or gtt and just trying to do some comparisons on what im gettin for the money

trailrider894
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
what did they charge you? it looks like the left stock valves and everything on there, and left dust protector? im just curious cuz i tried out hygear going against what everyone recommends with either c and d or gtt and just trying to do some comparisons on what im gettin for the money

It wasn't as much as most companys, but it was about the going rate. I don't know what all went into the conversion. I bought them from someone who works there... I would do C&D. I don't like Laz at GTThunder, because he think he is a know it all. Colby does a great job!! Jet suspension is another great one in my books!! They do a special conversion for the 450r shocks on the 400ex.

sheweezy
04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I did Hygear, they have done a lot of 450r conversions, but I am actually there first for a 400ex so they have been taking there time and paying close attention to detail for my geometry....they are big in the snowmobile business, just trying to kinda make sure they aren't screwing me being their first time, but they have actually been giving me a lot of hook ups for helping them get numbers for future builds...im still under 900 with triple rates springs front and rear, new valves and bladder caps, as well as a few other components...probably could have gotten aftermarket cheaper, but oh well they will be set up and exactly what I want, so no complaints

trailrider894
04-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I did Hygear, they have done a lot of 450r conversions, but I am actually there first for a 400ex so they have been taking there time and paying close attention to detail for my geometry....they are big in the snowmobile business, just trying to kinda make sure they aren't screwing me being their first time, but they have actually been giving me a lot of hook ups for helping them get numbers for future builds...im still under 900 with triple rates springs front and rear, new valves and bladder caps, as well as a few other components...probably could have gotten aftermarket cheaper, but oh well they will be set up and exactly what I want, so no complaints

Hygear looks good, I just like getting into these little shops that don't do the assembly line manuever... places like C&D, GTT, Desiri, and Jet are SMALL operations so its usually just one person handling your shocks the entire time... Everytime you call you talk to the person that is doing the actually rebuild.... therefore you NEVER get communication errors... ETC.. Hygear is a bigger company.

sheweezy
04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
not the ATV side tho, they have one guy that answers the phones, does the business side, takes orders, etc. and they have three techs... like a honda guy yamaha, and then a guy that kinda does everything else...i've actually not been able to beat their customer service...why i went with them over the other guys actually, i have been able to call anytime a day and got immediate answers...i've these shocks turn out well im goin to throw the biggest shoutout i can and get there name out...

250x_kyle
04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
just wondered if you were haveing any issues with the bearing clearences you were early on. looks good

trailrider894
04-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
just wondered if you were haveing any issues with the bearing clearences you were early on. looks good

Not that i am aware of... I had a mysterious noise the other day, just turns out one of my lug's came loose. I think that the clearences were of by just a few thousands of an inch. I greased them up good and pressed them in. The bike has seen atleast 4hrs since the rebuild and it's running great so far with no major issue. But word from the wise, black is extremely hard to keep clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

250x_kyle
04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
hell a few tenths (of a thou) can make things not lign up quite right there press fit bearings so it does lessen the chance of them being put in a little cock eyed. if you wanted to get techincal where they stop going in could be considered a perependicular tolerance. so you could have 9 tenths of a thou of an angle on one side and the same on the other. throw the collars in and it is more out of wack then you think. not counting the bushings in the motor itself. i started building my new wheeler and looken at all these build threads complete makes me want to ride. my old 450r was red and black and a pain to keep clean.

trailrider894
05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
UPDATE!!! Hey guys, everything is running great!!!!! All is looking good, and i am now adding more parts to my list of things to do!! I now have new tires and wheels and the '07 Swinger from a 450r... Only have one issue... My clutch lever seems rather hard to pull!! It'smuch harder than my KX250's... Should it be like this with HD Springs?? Whats a good method to tame it down a little bit?

01boneless
05-17-2011, 09:16 AM
UPDATE!!! Hey guys, everything is running great!!!!! All is looking good, and i am now adding more parts to my list of things to do!! I now have new tires and wheels and the '07 Swinger from a 450r... Only have one issue... My clutch lever seems rather hard to pull!! It'smuch harder than my KX250's... Should it be like this with HD Springs?? Whats a good method to tame it down a little bit?

mine was hard to pull so i got a motion pro cable and put it on and I can pull the clutch with one finger now :)

01boneless
05-17-2011, 09:17 AM

trailrider894
05-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Maybe it just needs a good lube...