PDA

View Full Version : KFX Motor Help Needed!

PeterBenincasa
12-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Okay,
So I need opinion of those who are mechanically inclined and have experience with KFX450 Motors.

This is a 2008 KFX450R built from the ground up for motocross,
Motor has
Vertex 13:9 piston
HOTCAMS Stage 3 (top end)
Motoworks SR4 Full system Exhaust
Velocity Intake w/ K&N
Stock clutch
ProCom Aftermarket CDI- has 10 clicks. suspecting might have somthing to do with it?

PROBLEM:
When in, say, 1st, but mostly 2nd 3rd, 4th, even 5th gear. When I slam the trottle the motor winds up intensely but does not put the power to the rear wheels. I can hear it winding up to the limiter and it takes a good second or two before it starts to pickup speed and hit the top portion of the gear. It is not that there is no power there, because I can hear the motor screaming, just nothing to the ground.
Now on the top end of the gears I have AWESOME power, pulls very hard and winds far, but my low and mid end have nothing!

Now the clutch seems to be fine for now
The quad does have uneven power on the way up the rpms, guessing might be because of the cheap aftermarket CDI, or maybe its the Intake.
It seems to be getting enough air, so is this a problem as not getting enough fuel, or do the stage 3 cams rob all low end power?

Need some EDUCATED thoughts. Thanks

nyates450
12-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Would say the problem is in the clutch. They don't come with very stiff springs from the factory, to give an easy clutch pull. Was driving through mine (just as described) with just a 13:1 piston. Replaced the fibers and had the same thing. Put in some stiffer springs and solved it.

I would start there as springs are cheap and easy to change.

nyates450
12-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Would say the problem is in the clutch. They don't come with very stiff springs from the factory, to give an easy clutch pull. Was driving through mine with just a 13:1 piston. Replaced the fibers and had the same thing. Put in some stiffer springs and solved it.

I would start there as springs are cheap and easy to change.

sixer3
12-17-2010, 11:05 AM
if your motor is revving but you aren't going anywhere, it's got to be in your clutch

PeterBenincasa
12-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Alright, exactly what I wanted to hear. I was hoping it was something simple like that, I will get some HD Springs.
Thanks Guys

PeterBenincasa
12-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Any one of you know what the best/ most cost efficent clutch springs are?