PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of changing out a arms

TheLane
12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
What can you gain by upgrading your a arms?

trailrider894
12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
The world.... lol Handling improves by nearly 50% in my opinion. I can turn as far right as i want in the top of 2nd and it turns with ease... YOu lose most of the sense of your going to flip. Its all handling gains.

TheLane
12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
So if im going to look to start riding mx, do you have any suggjestions on where to start looking and at what type? im on a budget and know nothing of the topic.

trailrider894
12-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
So if im going to look to start riding mx, do you have any suggjestions on where to start looking and at what type? im on a budget and know nothing of the topic.

Are you talking about what parts will you need? or where to start racing? I can help you with all your MX questions if you PM me, that way people don't end up arguing over things i say. Its sad we have to do it that way. I just got done building a few 450's for MX and i am in the process of building mine. Just need engine built and thats it.

CJM
12-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Just for the basics (im not a racer but I do know a bit) your gonna want to extend the axle and do +2 arms.

I personally like g-force axles (what I run) as they are cheap and really well built and JD performance a-arms. They arent super cheap but they have a very simple adjustment system. Even cheaper is burgard (sp). Arms run about 450-700 bucks.

fearlessfred
12-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
What can you gain by upgrading your a arms?
if your quad is allready wide from the factory.(between 48 and 50 inchs wide ) than than the gains over stock wont be as great as a bike that is narrow from the factory. i dont know what the diminsions are, on the bike you are going to race are.let us know what they are,so suggestions can be made that are most helpfull for your bike

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
if your quad is allready wide from the factory.(between 48 and 50 inchs wide ) than than the gains over stock wont be as great as a bike that is narrow from the factory. i dont know what the diminsions are, on the bike you are going to race are.let us know what they are,so suggestions can be made that are most helpfull for your bike

50" from stock.

fearlessfred
12-20-2010, 06:53 PM
i beleive the ltr and yfz mx are over 48 inchs wide .i dont know what the ktm or outlaw is. so i am not stating that there is such a thing as 50 inch stock.the point is that if your width is around those numbers that the gains to be had are not going to be as great

trailrider894
12-20-2010, 07:19 PM
It says on the polaris site that it is a 50.5 inch wheelbase. TheLane, it wouldn't be worth the a-arms. I believe i adressed this in the PM i sent you.

fearlessfred
12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
It says on the polaris site that it is a 50.5 inch wheelbase. TheLane, it wouldn't be worth the a-arms. I believe i adressed this in the PM i sent you. The 50.5 is the wheel base and i beleive that refers to the center of front axles to the rear axle ,it states that the width is 47 inchs ,but doesnt say if, that is front and back.if the rear is only 47 inchs.than it would be worth going to 50 inchs and the axle should be checked to make sure that spacers are not built in allowing it to be made 50 inchs.i have not been around this bike to know anything about it.the standard for mx is 50 inchs in the rear and between 48 and 50 in the front

chronicsmoke
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Yah Dirtwheels had a comment on the Polaris saying that it was at an awkward width; not wide enough for MX, and too wide for XC. they said 47" or 48" I just forget which one. Definetly not 50" tho

fearlessfred
12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Yah Dirtwheels had a comment on the Polaris saying that it was at an awkward width; not wide enough for MX, and too wide for XC. they said 47" or 48" I just forget which one. Definetly not 50" tho yea.on there site it says 47. i would have to agree with dirtwheels

trailrider894
12-21-2010, 04:33 PM
If it is 47 then going with a set of a-arms might be a good idea. But i wouldn't go with anything bigger than +1's.

fearlessfred
12-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
If it is 47 then going with a set of a-arms might be a good idea. But i wouldn't go with anything bigger than +1's. its a shame they didnt do like suzuki and make it the right dementions from the factory

trailrider894
12-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
its a shame they didnt do like suzuki and make it the right dementions from the factory

AGREED... it leaves you with no options...