PDA

View Full Version : 250r Parts

troybilt
12-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Do alot of you buy parts for your 250r collection, or to actually build bikes? Seems like it lately. I don't think anyone collects parts for any other bike than 250r's, which is interesting... Do you think this drives up the cost some?

How would those of you that collect 250r parts change if 250r parts were more readily available?

skyeryder
12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I've built three in the last year out of 6 different quads and everyone's help on here, I think some of the parts that I buy that are sitting are for future dream builds that are brewing in my head. Right now I want to build a 88' mxer that is almost all white or white and black(checker flag)......or....... More than anything I enjoy the hell out of these R's
And yes if more stuff was available then I would only have to buy stuff once instead of thinking I better buy something before the next guy then I end up using somehting else.

troybilt
12-16-2010, 06:57 PM
I hear ya, buy parts for future builds.. I don't think that far ahead unfortunately. I usually fly by the seat of my pants... :D

Also I wasn't meaning it to be derogatory if there was that tone I apologize. I just find it interesting that no other quad made has people collecting even just the parts. I don't mind it, just curious.

Jonny B
12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
If 250r parts were everywhere then you would see them ridden a lot more. I still think people would hold onto spares for their machines...

I wish I could go to a store today and pick up a new Fluidyne radiator, Walsh carbon shrouds, IMS fott pegs/heel gaurds, oem fenders, oem seat, etc. To find these things can drag on a build. Collecting parts for a build takes time and even more money, but I think thats all part of the fun. Since I dont have a lot of time or money, then it helps me and my wallet collecting part by part.

Collecting random 250r parts in general for no specific build seems like a waste of time and money but I dont think it drives prices higher. Its hard to get prices now that Honda dealers got when parts were available...except for fenders, seats, and other misc randoms. Try and get $250 for a new in box rear caliper and I bet it wont happen...even though that was the price when available.

red88r
12-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I have been buying things here and there as my income allows me to. Also only if it is a good buy or know I will need it. I am trying to get enough things I need to eventually redo all my quads. I am most likely keeping the 4 I have forever. It was always something I wanted to do was collect all 4 years.

So I guess I don't really "collect" parts nor do I buy stuff cheap to resell and make a profit. Don't have anything against people who do it's just not for me. I usually have enough other irons in the fire.:(

jcs003
12-17-2010, 12:27 AM
i buy as needed, unless i find something for a great deal and then it might be worth sitting til i find a use for it.

this got me thinking. i had an 1999 400ex and built it to race XC. im just thinking about all the stock parts i just threw out or gave to the local metal scrapper. i kept a few things but that was possibly throwing money away. im curious about how many people did this with their R parts???

but, there always is going to be people who "hoard" parts. without these people there are more people who are just throwing things away. you are appreciated by me for "collecting" parts.

troybilt
12-17-2010, 07:22 AM
I guess what I'm getting at too is this: Say someone comes up with a new 250r 2-stroke bike. Are you still going to be building your 250r's? I'd bet 90% say yes. Likewise, if ESR or BDT do in fact make new cases and not blowing smoke, will that devalue the OEM cases, i doubt it?

My point is to some of us, 250r's and 250r parts are just something we collect and build and that's not going to change whether someone makes all new parts or the 250r is resurrected.

ridered250R
12-17-2010, 07:35 AM
If its a fantastic deal and I may need it in the future I will buy it. Oh and I have to have the spare cash sitting around too. Other than that I usually buy as I build and even then I will wait to find a perfect item. Sometimes I will buy something then find a "more perfect part" later on and buy that one and switch it out. And then I'll take that first part and put it away just incase.

spintly
12-17-2010, 08:19 PM
In general, building and buying parts for the R is a lot like restoring a car. Just cheaper (sometimes). I restore old VWs and have had my 56 for twelve years now and am always searching for NOS parts. I have aquired some very nice NOS parts over the years at a very fair price. There is a lot of time and effort involved, but worth it in the long run in terms of quality and price. I think this goes along with building/restoring the R. I purchased my R two years ago and have had a blast learning about he machine itself and am amazed at all the different aftermarket parts. I love to modify my R into the way that I always wanted an R to look, mostly with good, used parts. I search the classifieds almost daily and enjoy it. When a part comes along that I will need in the future at a fair price, I will mostly buy it as long as I have the funds available. I started my search for a K&K seat cover as soon as I bought my R and found it 1&1/2 years later. There is nothing better than deciding what part would look the best in a build and searching, searching and then you find it. It makes for a great day.

troybilt
12-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by spintly
In general, building and buying parts for the R is a lot like restoring a car. Just cheaper (sometimes).

You're exactly right. That's the way I look at it too, and I don't think I would change one bit if (insert company) came out with a new 2 stroke quad. I'll always want to restore R's... and NOS OEM parts are always going to bring more money. I might buy a quad for a "rider" and keep my R's as collectors...