PDA

View Full Version : 1999 TRX400EX Starter NO Crank Over

maxman
12-16-2010, 05:53 PM
No crank. One click at solenoid then lights go out. Whacking the solenoid releases the solenoid and lights come back on. Attempt to crank again repeats the click and no lights. A whack resets it all.

Bench tested solenoid, checked OK. Engages and releases as expected.

Direct connected battery (+) to starter lead, got heavy sparks, no crank.

Either the starter is bad or the starter clutch is stuck engaged. This is my guess.

Any words of wisdom before pulling the LH engine cover and flywheel to get at the starter?

Been having other issues and the cranking has been plentiful lately.

Fun Fun in the cold!

CJM
12-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Try smacking the starter to see if its frozen while you crank it.

Also try jump starting it to make sure its not a battery problem.

hocman123
12-16-2010, 07:59 PM
i would check the solenoid twice but i wouold swap it out for a working one maybe off a friends 400. just to make sure thats not it. it concerns me u needed to wack it to get it to release

markk
12-16-2010, 08:05 PM
i would check the battery voltage- u should be around 12.8V if its fully charged. if not i would try jumping it to make sure thats not your problem first. try the simple things first

maxman
12-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Works perfect on the bench. No doubt that the solenoid is OK. Plus, bypassing the solenoid had same results. No crank. The issue is beyond the solenoid.

I put the solenoid back on and same issue. I whacked the starter, now it is cranking. Either the brushes were hanging up the motor or the starter clutch was locked up. It's pretty cold out there. My guess is the starter clutch.

Will go at it again tomorrow.

CJM
12-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Yep, sounds like the started is going. Im not sure but you might be able to rebuild it.