PDA

View Full Version : Stalling out

Darthgeese
12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Ok so basicly, last year i gave the R a fresh top end. Broke her in, rode it a little bit. Then one day i go and start it up, starts right up, seems to be running fine. I hope on, soon as i give it gas about little over 1/4 throttle it starts sputtering like its getting to much gas then dies. Take the plug out and its soaked. Clean it off put it back it fires right up. Once i give it gas it just sputters and dies even if i let off the gas.

CDI is new, coil is new, new reeds, carbs good(was running fine, jetting is not the problem), was fresh gas.

At first i thought it was a carb problem, but the more ive been reading around here and other sites im starting to think its electrical. Im not current at home, but will be next week and i plan on checking the stator. Will i need a new gasket to put the cover back on? Anywho enough rambling, id just reallllllly like to get my R running and ride it some more before i goto Europe for 2+ years. I redid the topend before i left for basic training. kkkk, any input would be greatly appretiated

thanks
-Keith

Honda 250r 001
12-16-2010, 02:22 PM
I had this same problem on a 4-stroke farm 4-wheeler. Just as a refrence here, And i hope this helps.. but it did the same thing as yours is doing because the main jet was gummed up and i over looked it. I would pull the bottom bolt off the carb and make sure this isint the problem with this one also.

Darthgeese
12-16-2010, 02:27 PM
ive had the bottom off the carb before. Everything seemed to checkout. Ill prolly give another look though when i get back just to be sure.

wilkin250r
12-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Just to make sure I understand the problem. When you say "Broke her in, rode it a little bit. Then one day i go and start it up, starts right up, seems to be running fine. I hope on, soon as i give it gas about little over 1/4 throttle it starts sputtering like its getting to much gas then dies. "

How much time elapses between "rode it a little bit. and "Then one day I go and start it up"?

RyanWsly
12-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Float is possibly sticking or float height incorrect is where I would start.

Darthgeese
12-16-2010, 07:05 PM
day or two between rode it a little and day i hoped on it

wilkin250r
12-17-2010, 08:06 PM
A day or two shouldn't gum up the carb. A MONTH or two might, but not a day.

Before I got drastic with it, however, I'd let it idle for several minutes, let it warm up, and slowly try to bring it back to life. If it dies when you give it too much throttle, just give it a little throttle, then a little more, then a little more.

Darthgeese
12-17-2010, 08:57 PM
i have also tried that aswell. Im just running outta things to try. =[ i just wanna ride the damn thing. Was running like a ****in animal

wilkin250r
12-18-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm still leaning towards the carb. Have you taken it apart and cleaned it real good?

Darthgeese
12-19-2010, 11:23 AM
ive done it twice. But sense ive been gone for awhile and i know my brother was ****ing with it im prolly going to have to do it again. Im just thinkin i should prolly rebuild the carb or get a new one possibly? Its a 39mm pwk, but its from like 90, so im not sure if the modern 39s are exact identical?

fearlessfred
12-20-2010, 11:45 PM
before u spend any money on parts double ck. the reeds ( I know u said they were new) years ago when i was racing mx on a 250r three wheeler,i had one complete reed brake off and cause the same symptoms you are descibing .the air moving across the nozzle of the carb both directions would cause the over rich condition .i hope it is something as simple as this.so when you are pulling the carb off again have a look at the reeds.good luck and i hope u getter going before you gotta leave.

Darthgeese
12-21-2010, 07:39 AM
ive actually checked the reeds as well. Buddy suggested it to me. All checked out good, none broken or bent and all were closed all the way on the cage. Im hoping when i go home tomorrow and recheck the carb i overlooked some gumed **** in the jet

wilkin250r
12-21-2010, 07:44 AM
When I clean a carb, I use just about a whole can of carb cleaner, spraying through everything both directions. Actually take the jets out, and look through them, and also look through the main fuel passage up into the carb to make sure nothing is blocked there.

And to answer your earlier question, yes, the old carbs are identical to the new ones.

Darthgeese
01-05-2011, 07:26 AM
i know the thread is a lil old, but im going crazy here. First day home from leave i went out and was messin with the R. Did an electrical checkout on everything. All checked out good. I hooked a timing light up while it was at idle, all looked good. Timing was on n all. Once i revved it up, the light dies. Could the pulse generator and the little magnetic strip on the flywheel be to far apart or something? I dunno im just getting desperate here =[