PDA

View Full Version : REAR wheel spacers

TheLane
12-16-2010, 02:00 PM
I know there might be a thread like this already. But...

I have a 2009 outlaw 450 mxr, and am on a budget trying to finish getting it race ready, ive seen a lot of people suggjest using rear only wheel spaces to widen it up a bit. Any ideas on whether or not this is necessary/useful and the most cost effective way to widen the rear.

I have heard that its tough on lugs and wheel bearings, but most a lot of reviews say as long as its not too much, its not a bad idea.

trailrider894
12-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
I know there might be a thread like this already. But...

I have a 2009 outlaw 450 mxr, and am on a budget trying to finish getting it race ready, ive seen a lot of people suggjest using rear only wheel spaces to widen it up a bit. Any ideas on whether or not this is necessary/useful and the most cost effective way to widen the rear.

I have heard that its tough on lugs and wheel bearings, but most a lot of reviews say as long as its not too much, its not a bad idea.

It makes handling worse... Man its the worst thing you can do. If you race with those you will only break things. It will trash your bearings all the time and it bend you axle. The same goes for extended Hubs, etc... Just get an extended axle. G-Force makes one that i picked up for 190 bucks. or I-SHocks sells an Alba for 200. Spacers, are bad never use them. Trust me.... i know from experience... I had a set fail when i first started riding and it landed me a trip to the E.R. turns out an axle is cheaper than a E.R. visit. Think of it as insurance.

400exrider707
12-17-2010, 09:27 AM
While I in no way condone spacers on the front or rear, on the rear it wont really affect anything, other than extra stress on your lugs. I wouldn't use them for MX at all. If you're going to race, just leave it stock width until you can afford an axle. A new Gforce is $200, what's a set of spacers? $100?

trailrider894
12-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
While I in no way condone spacers on the front or rear, on the rear it wont really affect anything, other than extra stress on your lugs. I wouldn't use them for MX at all. If you're going to race, just leave it stock width until you can afford an axle. A new Gforce is $200, what's a set of spacers? $100?

Trust me, going from having rear spacers to an axle, i can tell the difference. There is less roll in the rear and there seems to be more torque to the ground. Plus... No constantly tightening hubs, lug nuts, changing bearings... etc. And spacers are just not safe...

TheLane
12-17-2010, 11:00 AM
ah ok, that makes sense, thanks for the tips for the noobie guys! im just gonna look into an axle, i have an 2010 outlaw 450 and was looking at the yfz 450's and was in shock at the difference in length of the rear axle.