PDA

View Full Version : Clueless chick needs advice on shocks

RedSonya
12-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I have a 2007 400EX with Houser +2 extended A arms. Right now, I have stock 450r shocks on it, which are EXTREMELY stiff, even though I have them adjusted all the way out. For MX, would I be better off having these shocks re-valved for my weight, or should I just invest in a pair of really great shocks? I'm looking for a plusher ride and softer landings.

Also, if you think I should get higher end shocks, which ones would you go with?

Thanks,
Sonya

rubbersdown
12-16-2010, 11:42 AM
What class you racing? If your beginner or a lower class I would just have those resprung and revalved for you. If your an advanced rider, or rich and dont care about the money, then get some nice aftermarket shocks. I personally have had, works, Custom Axis, and PEP and I LOVED the PEP shocks the best. Custom Axis was good to and the works were ehhh so/so but they were low end crap ones so thats probably why.

RedSonya
12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I will be racing women's open and vet. I only started riding and racing this year, but I am looking for comfort above all else. Whatever I end up with, I just don't want to spend over $1000.00 on front shocks, if that's possible. Everyone raves about Fox - what do you think?

dustin_j
12-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Since you already have the 450r front shocks, I'd definately recommend sending them and your rear shock to get revavled and resprung. I'd recommend M@ul Tech ATV or GT Thunder; get the GT Thunder linkage also! You'll be amazed how much better it rides when you get them back.

jcs003
12-16-2010, 12:33 PM
my suggestion is get ahold of GT thunder for your rear and purchase a set of their HLS fronts. you can grt the rear shock done with a GTT link and brand new fronts set up specifically for you. it all should be under$1,000.00. a top of the line suspension for under a grand is music to my ears.:D

tayyo789
12-17-2010, 05:11 PM
You can get them revalved for a reasonable price, and it should get you by until you are ready to upgrade to something better. As far as high end suspension goes, eBay is great, but keep in mind that most of them don't come with manufacturer support. When picking a brand, everybody likes different ones, it just comes down to how well they are set up.

markk
12-17-2010, 07:07 PM
to get the best travel and ride and confort out of your shocks- you should actully drop the quad and rais it without any shocks on it. and measure your compressed e2e length and your extended e2e length. then look for shocks that are setup or compatible with your a-arms/frame then choose your shocks off of that.

RedSonya
12-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I think I'm going to end up getting the fronts and rear revalved and resprung, but I'm also going to look into that GT Thunder linkage. Have a happy holiday!