PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this exhaust idea?

speedfreek
12-14-2010, 06:53 PM
This is on my 09 525. Well I am thinking about trying to save a buck and modify the stock muffler. Here is what I am thinking. What if I cut off the end cap and also cut it towards the front where I can install a tube with holes drilled in it and pack the muffler with fiberglass and re-weld everything back to where it looks stock? Basically making a straight through pipe but keeping the outer shell of the stock muffler. I may have to slightly bend the pipe to get it to exit straight out of the stock end piece but you get the idea.

I would rather spend my money on a head pipe if I could get away with doing this. What do you think?

sleddog66
12-15-2010, 04:38 AM
What is this on, Your 09 525??? If it is, the head pipe is very good OEM. I don't think ANY aftermarket head pipe has shown an increase in power. $ is better spent on a slip on. I got a full SS system, but the head pipe only helps the BLING factor.

speedfreek
12-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by sleddog66
What is this on, Your 09 525??? If it is, the head pipe is very good OEM. I don't think ANY aftermarket head pipe has shown an increase in power. $ is better spent on a slip on. I got a full SS system, but the head pipe only helps the BLING factor. Yes sorry 09 525. Thanks for the info about the headpipe. But what do you think about the powerbomb?

sleddog66
12-16-2010, 04:36 AM
I have seen dyno results from a powerbomb with no increase....even 1 hp decrease. Again, it would be nice for the bling factor.

speedfreek
12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by sleddog66
I have seen dyno results from a powerbomb with no increase....even 1 hp decrease. Again, it would be nice for the bling factor. Thanks for this info. If there is not that much power increase then no bling factor for me. I'm only spending money on this to make it go fast but look stock. I even thought about putting a 450 sticker on it. Maybe race someone for money. Just a thought though.

I'm pretty sure that I will cut this stock muffler up. I'll post some pics.

sheriff525
12-29-2010, 11:32 PM
If your looking to make your quad go fast here is some tips.

1. Do a google search for HMF discount codes. I believe there is one for members of the atvpt forum website. Then call directly to hmf. I got my new competition pipe for $240. I love it. I also had my stock header ceramic coated for $70. Looks good and sounds great. Fast too!

2. HRC jet kit is ment for the honda bike it is the same carb and very cheap, but very good, and offers great adjustability even after mods. Cost $25

3. Cams are cheap. 8/33 is popular. Cost $120 plus gaskets.

4. Rebuild your own air box. I have the irs 525 and i made my own intake out of 2" ABS pipe. Makes way better flow and response. I used the 500outlaw k&n filter. My cost $16

speedfreek
12-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by sheriff525
If your looking to make your quad go fast here is some tips.

1. Do a google search for HMF discount codes. I believe there is one for members of the atvpt forum website. Then call directly to hmf. I got my new competition pipe for $240. I love it. I also had my stock header ceramic coated for $70. Looks good and sounds great. Fast too!

2. HRC jet kit is ment for the honda bike it is the same carb and very cheap, but very good, and offers great adjustability even after mods. Cost $25

3. Cams are cheap. 8/33 is popular. Cost $120 plus gaskets.

4. Rebuild your own air box. I have the irs 525 and i made my own intake out of 2" ABS pipe. Makes way better flow and response. I used the 500outlaw k&n filter. My cost $16 Great info.
I found a K&N filter that is a direct bolt on to the back of the carb.

I wish I could have read about the HRC jet kit, I just bought a JD kit for $84. This would have saved me some $$.

I would like to get my head pipe coated too, thanks for this tip.

As for the muffler, you cant get much better than how I modded mine. I posted pics of how I did it.

I just bought the Pro Com CDI box. Havnt installed it yet.

I will also be lightening the flywheel soon.

And I will be looking up the cam you mentioned, thanks again.